The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

The President of the United States has extensive use of the airwaves in an emergency and the zombie Apocalypse didn't knock out satellites nor I'd think emergency transmitters at radio stations which IIRC by law have months of battery life to keep transmitting in an emergency.

BTW, now that I'm thinking about it - why wouldn't Rick and group us car GPS systems to navigate to safe havens instead of using maps?

I'd think that slow moving zombies would find it difficult to overtake any large military installation based on the amount of fire power they have versus the threat

Also, what about nuclear submarines, aircraft carriers and even the International space station?

2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That is the horror genre's longstanding problem: avoidance of logic, as they know the second you apply it to their situation, everything falls apart. This is why so many horror stories avoid going into relevant details about an alleged widespread event.

I recall some YouTube guy tried to explain how the military was "overrun" in TWD's storyline, but it did not make a bit of sense, as he was glossing over too many factors which cannot be easily explained away.

No matter how the zombie plague was spread, we live in a 24-hour information reality, so real news, false news, lies and BS can be cleared up quickly, unless the source is spreading disinformation (i.e. the government), and even in that case, leaks, basic detective skills, etc., would clue the population in on the dangers of zombies, the effect of bites, and the best way to destroy the creatures.

TWD's world did not suffer some attack which shut down all grids (and those who run them), servers, etc. Information would spread with the speed of thought, which would give many a tactical advantage regarding heavily populated areas while seeking supplies (increasing the chances of attack), morgues, hospitals, etc.

TWD simply drops the zombie outbreak on everyone like a light switched on, so suddenly, the population is scattered, lost and absolutely no administrative structure exists--even on a fragmented level. Oh, well, there was that little thing with the trained soldiers who were ambushed like rank amateurs by--of all people--the Woodbury goons.

Too convenient.

Sure, the drama is what sells the show, and it works in several ways, but we as an audience cannot divorce ourselves from logical expectations, even in a horror story.

3. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Would it have been better to set the story in the 80s or even early 90s before social media? Would it be more believable in terms of a widespread outbreak and lack of information?

4. TREK_GOD_1

Not to mention that in the U.S.--where TWD is set--there are more guns and ammo than people. Once the single-shot-to-the-head remedy was discovered, the military (inc. National Guard) and/or police, and /or armed citizens would be able to destroy mass herds, unless one found himself in a 1 human vs. 1000 zombie situation.

5. TREK_GOD_1

Probably. That's why the original Night of the Living Dead worked so well, because in 1968, you had TV and radio, but reports were anything other than instant, unless watching/listening to field reports, but information/channels were limited. It was more of a guerilla, daring situation.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

They're beyond the 'months' point now, though. Even assuming Rick was only in the hospital a few weeks total, they were somewhere in summer at the point Rick was there (temp was over 100 at one point), lasted the winter, and are now in spring of the following year.

Could have found one, but it's easier to plan with a map laid out. Plus can update to NEW info, make notes, etc. GPS will get you there, or at least would have based on pre-disaster routes, but harder to look at and plan.

Plus, satellites aren't permanent, they require upkeep and maintainence. many may have fallen out of orbit, or at least become mis-alligned and no longer work properly. That's likely more than a few month period to decay like that, but the system WILL fall apart without repositioning and adjustment.

Yep, logic breaks down zombie outbreaks pretty fast. Which is why most places just focus on a small area, and right at the beginning of the outbreak when people don't know how to act, not to try and save bitten friends, etc. In "reality", zombies would find it tough going, they're not smart/fast/well armed, and their food source is also a better predator than they are.

Space station has similar issues to the satellites. Will eventually come down, plus needs supplies to keep people alive. The current crew may stay up a while to try and see what's going on, but eventually has to bail out and come home, or die there.

Subs, carriers, and the like would be ok for a long while, supplies are the issue. Nuclear means fuel isn't an issue, just risk of coming ashore for supplies. You'd lose some to taking bitten people onboard, but based on how zombies act in TWD world, they're not patrolling the ocean floor like World War Z, so boats should be ok. WWZ was better in general with showing things go to shit, but at least not having EVERYTHING disintegrate. And maybe it hasn't in TWD, and we're just focused too tightly on our group?

7. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just finished reading the book World War Z and yes I agree they deal with a zombie Apocalypse in a far more realistic manner and in Z the zombies are fast.

In fact the seat of US government moves to Hawaii and the new "White House," is an aircraft carrier.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

The long-term of a zombie outbreak is tough to make the logic work for. That's why pretty much every time it's dealt with, you keep the affected area somewhat narrowed, and only deal with the initial outbreak. Just harder and harder to make sense as it goes forward without having a better plan.

9. Stiletto

Stiletto Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any enclosed space could crumble pretty quickly due to the fact that no matter how a person dies (except head trama) they come back as a zombie; especially at the start of the issue when not everyone knew that. One of the astronauts on the ISS knows that his whole family has died and commits suicide then attacks the rest. Closing off compartments on a submarine full of zombies with also be problematical. Still, if it has been only a few months at the start of the show, the military would still be up and running pretty well. Tanks are fast enough nowdays to just plow into herds of zombies and just mow them down, enter back into a fenced area, close the fence, marines kill off the zombies that made it in, refuel the tank, rinse and repeat.

Still, it is their show. A show about zombies. Some suspension of belief comes with the territory.

I predict Daryl coming back rather quickly and finally consummating his relationship with Carol.

10. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

And really, there's nothing saying your idea hasn't happened. It just hasn't happened where the characters are. To address JD's post above, leaving it unclear what's going on in the rest of the world allows for that possibility (including the possibility of rescue).

If you actually come out and state (or show) that the entire world is overrun, you're unnecessarily restricting the storytelling options. Right now, it's still possible that the show will wrap up by having the characters escape to the Colorado Safe Zone (or whatever) and live happily ever after.

Well, at least until they die by other means, when a head-shot will still be necessary.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can understand wanting to keep the possibilities open when it comes to what's going on outside of TWD's limited setting, I just think it would be nice if we got a little bit of an idea of what's going on elsewhere. I don't need everything broken down in detail, just a little tidbit here and there would be nice. That is one thing I've liked better about Revolution, there's been some cluse about what's going on outside of where the heroes are, and from what the people involved with it have said, the scope will increase as the show goes on.

12. TREK_GOD_1

That goes back to the issue of the producers/writers moving away from expectations based on logic: no amount of suspension of disbelief can make audiences think the entire U.S. landscape are mirrors Rick's group, Woodbury and/or the bar room thugs. It appears the producers feel the moment that realistic option comes to the table, the entire "struggling / hanging on a thread" idea loses much of its dramatic edge, as it would give characters reasons to leave (long before the current season), and the zombie outbreak not as bad.

Hershel's farm and the small number of walkers contained in the barn also makes one wonder just how many are shuffling around; Hershel's group had to leave the property to catch random walkers, yet in all of the time before the arrival of Rick's group, there were no mass groups invading the farm.

This poses somewhat of a problem: it has been established that the walkers sense the living, and follow them until contact is made. After Hershel's group had been exploring the woods finding walkers, whatever movement/odor/energy sense used by the walkers should have set season two's conclusion in motion long before the time period in that episode, or at least a version of the invasion.

It appears walker movement/detection is changed to fit the story, without realizing the audience does not gloss over details, contradictions, etc.

13. TREK_GOD_1

Strange bedfellows time.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, romantic competition for Carol? Should be interesting when Daryl returns. *BAM* ... never mind

They really make file cabinets well these days.

Watching Talking Dead, even as a straight guy I gotta say Joe Manganiello is one handsome dude.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

LOL, the strangest thought I had for the episode - "Hey! they got a new truck!"

16. TREK_GOD_1

Well, they used up the last of their throwaway convict supply. Aside from a shock death among the main group, Tyrese's gang should start digging graves.

No kidding. Maggie could have turned that into a suit of armor, and Iron Man-ed her way across the yard to take on one-eye for herself.

17. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Amazing how our team of expert shots suddenly can't hit a damn thing as soon as it is important.

Tyrese and his gang just vanished, not even a mention of them outside of going over where they got in on the map.

In theory it was a good episode, but shit like that really undermines the impact.

18. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has it been established? As I understood it, all we really know is:
    1. Walkers have a rudimentary hive mind
    2. Walkers tend to congregate over time.
    3. They are attracted to noise
    4. If close enough to food they can smell it.
    5. Their sense of smell, however, is pretty close range and covering someone in zombie guts or having a 'tame' zombie nearby can fool it

19. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always took the passage of time in the hospital that Rick was in the coma a month/s prior to the outbreak and a week or so after Shane escaped and shoved the bed against the door.

What confused me was why did the military feel it necessary to start executing medal personnel, if they were overrun and pulling out wouldn't it make sense to take some if not all (or as many) medical folks as you could to try and treat/cure whatever was going on?

I'd also like some sort of explanation as to how it spread so fast.
    Did the initial outbreak kill a bunch of people? OR
    Did it reanimate the already dead? If so how would that be possible?
    Was it world wide or did it escape some facility somewhere?

If it escaped a facility somewhere how did it get world wide so quickly?

20. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the episode was a little aimless until the last 10 minutes. Wow! It wound up being a great ending.

Up until that point I was enjoying Glenn's 'dark' turn. I was disappointed with Rick going off the deep end and how Michonne was being handled-yet again. She finally gets some dialogue at the beginning of the show and then just disappears throughout most of the rest. Glad that the convict got some screen time before they killed him off. Wasn't expecting that. I was thinking that there be a new love interest for Carol.

I really enjoyed the Governor and how he was just standing tall as the bullets were flying. He really doesn't care anymore. He just wants to inflict as much pain on Rick's group as he can it seems.