Spoilers TP: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, May 19, 2012.

?

Rate Plagues of Night.

1. Outstanding

59 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Above Average

38 vote(s)
    33.0%
  3. Average

11 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Below Average

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Poor

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

NOT READING THE SPOILER.

*lol*

About 1/3 through, liking it a LOT.

I did vaguely want to slap the Cardassian president tho. Clearly the Cardies make it a habit NOT to learn from history....

2. Travis Chesser

Travis Chesser Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Just finished it. Incredible. One of the reasons why DRG3 is one of my favorite Trek writers. Political, thought-provoking, true to characters. I loved the first half of the book, expanding upon the events of the previous books from Typhon Pact from different POV's. In particular, I loved seeing the reactions of Kamemor as these events took place.

The last half came together into a wonderful cohesion of plot, the intensity building right up until the end. I think DRG3 was really setting some serious groundwork for what he does in future novels, and maybe even hopefully next year. The return of certain people in the Gamma Quadrant (and the questions that raises!), my own feelings on what's going to happen with Elias, and more. I thought it was one of the best Trek novels we've had in awhile.

3. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Wow, this sounds like one awesome book! I'm tempted to read it soon rather than wait to get to it in my readthrough.
    Hopefully, Vaughn is still alive rather than dying.
    Now, I must ask, does it beat the very epic Serpents Among The Ruins?

4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I'm currently on page 179, I got it Wednesday and started then. It's an ok read so far with a couple of stand out scenes so far, certainly not the best thing since x though and to be honest, it's rather mediocre.

5. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But why would they spare Kira and Kasidy from meeting death on the Xhosa only to kill them shortly afterwards when Deep Space 9 is destroyed? It doesn't make sense.

6. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, at this point I'd be content to let Elias go considering how much work was put into Prynn moving on, or at least beginning the process of moving on.

7. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I'm about halfway through, and kids, this is REAL good.

It's been a long wait since Paths of Disharmony, but it's been worth it. Almost everything that bothered me about the first TP miniseries has been fixed; this is fantastic.

8. Travis Chesser

Isn't it though Thrawn! I did like the original Typhon Pact books too with the exception of Seize the Fire. I love how this one threads everything together from the previous so well.

9. Sjaddix

Sjaddix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hard to tell assuming the Station is not completely destroyed maybe they only wanted one of them dead and they would both be dead in case number one.

10. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

My copy apparently won't be here for almost a month. :( Woe.

11. rfmcdpei

I don't see why the Prophets would care if the two women were killed on the Xhosa or on Deep Space 9: in both cases they'd be equally dead at very nearly the same time. The Prophets seem to be parsimonious with their visions, and granting a last-minute vision that didn't do anything noticeable to the outside world doesn't make narrative sense.

12. ICW

ICW Commander Red Shirt

Just finished the novel. Fantastic read! I do have some thoughts:

I do not believe DS9 will be destroyed, but if it is, I would be okay with it. Sometimes, we all need to move on from things we love the most - a common theme throughout the entire book (Sisko separating from Kassidy and Rebecca, Tenmei and Vaughn, Cenn Desca slowly getting over the Occupation, Worf's diminished racism towards the Romulan, etc...). It's a different Star Trek world and I'm fine with...not everything can be the same and not every character should stay the same but rather evolve...

I did feel slightly bad for Georid but DRG3 provided a logical explanation. I liked Indistinguishable from Magic but I wasn't crazy about LaForge's promotion without never going through the command track. Makes sense to gain the experience he needs as second office of the Enterprise before eventually becoming the captain of his own ship.

My prediction: I think DS9 survives, Sela, Tomolak, and the Breen will eventually be busted, and at the end of the Raise the Dawn we'll see a station in the Gamma Quadrant.

I haven't looked at the cover for Raise the Dawn very closely but I didn't notice any Federation/Starfleet markings on it. Perhaps after everything is cleared up between the Pact and the Accords, they'll build a station in the Gamma Quadrant in an effort to expand their join exploration...

13. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Are there any images available for the Tzenkethi? I am curious what they look like.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amazon told me a month for Forgotten History, but I got it in half that time. There is hope!

15. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I've preordered a few novels through The Book Depository, Storming Heaven arrived on its official US release date and Plagues of Nights arrived last Wednesday, so the day after. plus, it has free delivery and they are normally cheaper than Amazon.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't read this but I'd be surprised if they blew up DS9, someone told me it concludes with Sisko coming out of the wormhole and he sees it explodes? Is it possible it's just a fake-out and he's actually still in the wormhole seeing what *could* happen?

17. rfmcdpei

From the description, no. We also know that there was going to be an explosion, regardless of attempts to mitigate it.

18. Travis Chesser

Well, he made it out of the wormhole, but many of us doubt the entire station exploded. Consensus seems to be the area where bombs were set goes off, destroying maybe a large chunk, but not the entire station. The blurb for next book even mentions Ro's name, and she was on the station, so she's not dead. And some stuff had happened right before with Kas and Kira that lends credence to them not being dead. I know you're not a fan of his, but it really was one of the best books in Trek I've read in awhile.

19. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the positive note, KingDaniel ;). And thanks for the advice, Dimesdan. I'll probably try preordering Fallen Gods, The Eternal Tide and Brinkmanship from The Book Depository.

20. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder how long that'll last, since amazon bought book depository sometime late last year.