Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 18, 2011.

?

How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2012.
  1. A+

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. A

51 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. A-

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. B+

27 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Hmmm, means they would "fondue" after all. :lol:

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I gave it an "A". I wish it had been longer. I saw it in 3D, and I liked the 3D. :bolian:

!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I wanted just a bit more backstory on how the Red Skull located the Cosmic Cube, not that it would have had a significant bearing on events, although a hint of exactly what became of him would have been nice. Hopefully all outstanding questions will be answered in the Avengers.

I also would have liked to see a bit more of the early adventures of Cap and team with Bucky.

I felt something for Steve, so the movie definitely succeeded in creating a character with whom I could identify. Job well done on that score.

My dad was with me, and I think he liked it even better than I did, which was a shock to me.

My only complaint was that I didn't like how his shield was, without any technobabbly explanation, immune to the Cosmically-charged energy weapons [whose effect I thought was really well done]. Mere mention that vibranium was, say, forged from a meteorite, or from matieral believed to come from outer space, would have gone a long way to make me feel better about that. If they said vibranium is thought to have come from outer space in the film, I missed it.

The Avengers trailer attached to the end of the film was enjoyable.

So, :bolian:

3. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Told you man, my origonal post reflects the same thing. It totally had a Indy Jones/ Superman/ IronMan feel to it. The cornyness was funny and not unwelcomed. This felt like a classic 80's action movie. Specifically, the scene where Cap. was rescueing Bucky and the boys, he jumps into the covered truck and then beats up the bad guys off screne and throws them out of the truck. This was corny, but funny in an Indy Jones kind of way.

4. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Are yoiu shittin me? the shield was awsome and a character of it's own. They gave a small explanation for the shield which was good enough for me.

5. CorporalCaptain

Since we're talking about energy tapped from a Cosmic Cube, no I'm not shitting you. I thought I was pretty clear there.

Obviously I didn't find it to be that much of a problem or I'd have given the movie a lower grade than "A". I believe I said it was my only complaint. Not much to complain about really.

6. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Sorry, still on the high from the movie and over reacted.;) I love realkism Ala TDK, but sometimes I just wanna see unrealism too.

7. CorporalCaptain

:techman:

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw it. I'm probably one of the biggest Cap fans out there, and I was completely disappointed. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. It is like the production team got together and asked themselves "How can we make the most forgettable movie ever?"

9. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My "big" problem with the shield was when it was first introduced, Agent Carter fired several bullets at it and the vibranium absorbed their kinetic energy and dropped straight to the floor in a nice, neat cluster. And then every time he used it, Cap threw it and it bounced all over the place. Wait. Wouldn't it absorb that energy too and simply drop to the floor?

But you know what? I don't freaking care. A solid A movie!

10. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Think of it like skippin' stones...

If your stone hits at the wrong angle (flat) against the water, it ain't goin' anywhere except down.

If your stone hits at the right angle (not flat) against the water, it'll keep goin' 'til it runs out of momentum or hits a duck or something.

The bullets hit the shield flat, and that was that.

Cap threw the shield at the right angle, and the vibranium kept the momentum of the throw goin' each time it hit 'til he caught it again.

Yeah, that's it...

:techman:

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The Peggy/Sharon thing: Sharon is a blonde SHIELD agent, how could Cap have gotten them mixed up in the first place is Peggy was a Brunette?

12. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe he's heard of hair coloring? They did have that even in the forties.

Going to see it in about 3 hours. Can hardly wait. :D

13. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I would say that Cap's last line was fantastic and very true to Steve as a Character.

14. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Peggy was also blonde in the comics. In the movie-verse, presumably the Carter ladies are brunettes.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah that last line was a bit sad.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

If this is actually how Cap is presented in the comics I just might have to check them out. I've never followed the character all that closely, but the few times I have seen him (the animated movies, the new cartoon) he basically seemed like just some stiff, humorless, ultra-serious soldier.

He never struck me as being nearly as warm and human and likeable as Evans shows him to be in the movie.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it. Not a particularly smart movie, and more CGI-gloss than I care for, but it was certainly fun. Chris Evans was great in the lead role, and Tommy Lee Jones seemed to be having a good time. I can't say I'm thrilled that they rushed through half of WWII in a montage in order to get Captain America to the present day for The Avengers, though, especially since it looks like a huge cluster**** of a movie. And, considering they had superweapons, the Hydra stormtroopers sure spent a lot of the movie not easily defeating our heroes armed with machine guns. There's a point near the end where Red Skull destroys at least six guys in little more than a second. I don't see why his minions waited so long between shots (and were so inaccurate with them, too). Considering we'll probably never see any of Captain America's surprisingly racially integrated team for WWII, a few more could have been used as cannon fodder to amp up the tension...

B

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Good point. While I really enjoyed the film I did feel that part was rushed a bit. Hydra didn't seem to be putting up much of a fight.

Seriously an extra 10-15 minutes of story wouldn't have hurt since the rest of the pacing was good.

19. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Hydra was pathetic. The only group they were less incompetant than was the Imperial stormtroopers.

I did love the bit where Skull was counting the Nazis in the room before he vaporized them.

I'm hoping we'll get a Captain America movie with the Winter Soldier in it.

20. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's rushing to get him to The Avengers. Cap's "man out of time" concept is so important to the character that I don't think there would have been much prospect of spending more than one film entirely in World War II regardless; that's where the really interesting stuff with his character starts.