Alternate history tv shows

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Jiangnan Freak, Aug 6, 2013.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Caroll O'Conner deserved more Emmies as George Jefferson.

2. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Its damn difficult for a white actor to pass as Hispanic.

3. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

4. Mistral

5. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

What did I miss? I'm just pointing out that Caroll O'Conner could have easily played a hispanic guy, I know that he didn't and that you're all talking about made up alternate versions of tv shows.

But I have to admit that the clone Adam-12 story got me, I was really interested in that show and checked it out on wikipedia ... lets say I was a little bit disappointed when I realized my mistake.:rofl:

6. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still like the Sliders season one episode where Rembrandt was famous; it was a world where all second bananas were famous. They were watching shows like Skipper's Island and I Love Ethel.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Man, there's nothing like the 20th season of Cop Rock. :D

8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Much better than the Vanilla Ice-hosted In Living Color, to be sure. Though they did have that one actor who took off. Who was it, Will Smith?

9. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

My work here is done...

:)

10. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Sonny and Cher's 25th Wedding Anniversary Special was awesome!

11. Mistral

I disagree. The music is so formulaic its like they recycle the same songs each week-and Brittany Spears is a weak replacement for Hugh Jackman, IMO. I just can't buy her as a detective. No gravitas.

12. sojourner

It still gets my goat that Lost in Space has had 5 series, 12 movies and countless tie in books while us trekkies have to be content with 3 seasons and one failed movie.

Though I admit, casting Wil Wheaton as the son of Will Robinson was a stroke of genius that made the franchise the success it is today.

13. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The upgrade of Bob Kinoshita's iconic "Robot" designs worked for the most part in the first movie and a lot of fans seem to prefer it to the original prop/costume. The subtle "seams" suggesting various access panels over the large and otherwise blank expanse of the torso "backside" really worked, but subsequent series just overdid it. You just don't need that many panels. It's not a spaceship after all.

But I really miss the dedicated neon tube element. Yeah, replacing it with multi-function "display" is more practical, but there was just something "timeless" about the flashing tubes.

But what Jay G. Abrahram did to the Jupiter II in the '09 "reboot" is just unforgivable! It's just so mishapen, like a chicken egg on its side and partially flattened! And while it does have a "twirling" fusion core, what's with the purely mechanical "blades" seen inside?! It's not a jet engine sucking in air...or hydrogen! It's supposed to be indescribable energies pulsing to generate an FTL field.

But in its favor, and I know I'll get flack from purists for this, the reboot did seem to bring back that sense of non-stop adventure that faded with each successive TV series. No, I don't think Abraham overdid the action. The original series had plenty of action. Remember the neverending string of catastrophes that hammered the Robinson's in the original cut of the pilot? It was like a rolercoaster. the luanch, the meteor shower, the crash, the cyclops, the temple earthquake and finally the whirlpool, all within the space of 65 minutes! Jay G. just tried to bring that back.

But DON"T get me started on what he did to the Robot! I will never forgive him for that! Damn thing looked like a mecha' from a Japanes anime! I don't care if Tufeld supplied the voice! That AIN'T B-9!!!

Sincerely,

Bill

14. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I just wish they would do away with the CGI Dr. Smith. Is it too much to bring Jonathan Harris out of retirement for a few guest appearances? He's only 98 years old.

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The best part of the original Irwin Allen series LOST in Space was when they went into a parallel universe for an entire season and John was played by the guy that was Zorro, and Maureen was played by Timmy's Mom from Lassie.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  16. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Lost in Space was okay, I suppose. what I really wish, though, is that Star Trek: A New Generation had run more than three years. I think that Saavik and David were just coming into their own as established characters when it was cancelled. If only they'd gotten Martin Landau to come back to acting to appear as Spock just one more time for that three-parter. It could have saved the show, I think.

Which Doctor Who from the 80s/90s do people prefer the most? Patrick Stewart, Helen Mirren, or Stephen Fry?

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Rowan Atkinson as The Doctor rulez!

18. sojourner

Patrick Stewart was the better Doctor

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Didn't care for Marina Sirtis as Peri the "American" assistant. I can't imagine a worse American accent.

20. Mistral

To break the 4th wall for a moment-this thread has gone completely Alien Space Bats.