sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I think you could set up an interesting and reasonably priced show following some lower-level SHIELD operatives as they poke around in the Marvel movie universe policing up Hydra or Chitauri weapons and keeping other dangerous artifacts and technology out of the wrong hands. Maybe set up the backstories of some lesser known heroes and villains.

Marvel Studios wanting to get involved in television is really pretty cool.

2. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find it hilariously awesome that Hunger Games ripped off Battle Royale and now to bring it to TV they're going to use Battle Royale to cash in on the fame of Hunger Games.

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Why do people always think something had to have ripped off something else? DS9 ripped off B5, Deep Impact ripped off Armageddon, Hunger Games ripped off Battle Royale. It is possible for 2 people to have similar ideas that are unconnected to each other.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've often thought Phil Coulson, Agent of SHIELD would be a natural for a TV series. But I guess that's off the table now.

5. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Maybe, maybe not. Still they could always bring Clay Quartermain back.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The world of the Avengers? So a show set in New York? cool

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doctor Strange wouldn't be worth doing without the visuals inspired by Ditko's art, just as Sub-Mariner would be absurd without Atlantis. But some cop show in sci fi window dressing is so much cheaper. and no doubt that's what we'll get.

8. Temis the Vorta

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

And they can do all of that with CGI and Namor has really spent ery little time in Atlantis I could care less if we see it or not. And Namor has had plenty of surface adventures he did fight WWII with Captain America as a part of the Invaders.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Everyone knows you're stuck in the clothes you die in for all of eternity. So dress well. ;)

11. Nerys Myk

He's spent large sections of his comic runs in Atlantis with characters like Dorma, Kang and Attuma. Though most attempts to revive or boost interest in the character seem to take him out of Atlantis or cut him off from it. I find Namor and Aquaman more interesting when in sf/fantasy type setting like Atlantis.

WWII only lasted six years and the original Invaders run was only 41 issues and was published in the 1970s.

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Yeah, but he also had a ton of surface adventures fighting Nazis back in the 40s when he was first created.

I'd love to see a Ditko-styled psychedelic Doc Strange series, but I doubt if the mass audience could handle that.

13. Nerys Myk

But not with Captain America. ;)

14. Temis the Vorta

Although a WWII era Namor might be intriguing, I think it would be too bizarre to work in a TV series. I'd go for a Sub-Mariner series mainly for the sake of Atlantis. seeing some guy running around the surface world in his swim trunks doesn't strike me as particularly interesting. Maybe if he's got a smokin hot bod? That would be mandatory n any case. ;)

And if the masses can't handle a Ditko style Doctor Strange, put the show on HBO. The masses can stick with their CBS procedurals.

15. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Whatever happened to taking risks and in any event he could set in the present day, John Byrne made him a CEO of his own major company.

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ We live in a risk-averse era.

I thought Namor, Cap and the original Human Torch were all teamed up in All-Winners Squad.

I don't think pay cable would be any more friendly to psychedelia or surrealism. All of their shows tend toward gritty realism (or at least what passes for it).

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The evident presence of the original Human Torch, as an easter egg, in The First Avenger holds the door open for a treatment of the Invaders in the Cap feature film series.

18. Nerys Myk

That was after the war in 1946. Though they did appear on various covers together they never became a team until then.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't really see where something something like that would be out of place on a group of networks that include things like True Blood, Game of Thrones, and Spartacus. True Blood and Game of Thrones did start out a little more realistic, but have got more fantastic as they've gone on.

20. Temis the Vorta

Even Breaking Bad sometimes has a slightly surrealistic style, even though it takes place in the real world, such as it is. Mad Men included an LSD trip this season. Cable is more willing to take creative risks and not insist that everything be straightforward and simple for the audience to grasp.

We're talking about TV, that's what happened. Even cable has a limited stomach for very strange ideas. Which is why my Acid Trip Doctor Strange idea is a long shot, but fun to contemplate.