Enterprise B Saucer Alternate Explanation

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by FatherRob, Dec 14, 2012.

1. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, I am working on the 1:1000 scale Enterprise B model, but am building it with TOS livery. I want to find a different use for the saucer impulse engines besides a shuttlebay. Any thoughts on what the saucer extensions could be? I thought about a set of vacuum experiment areas, but they are way too big. Can't think of any other thoughts. Need to have some idea, as I need to think of what to scratchbuild to cover the exhaust ports.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Rob+

2. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. Howabout:

Cover over the grills and make it part of the hull and add small windows? Or even large rec deck windows ala TMP? You could make one side a rec area and the other a standard living quarters.

Cover the back and place on top a bunch of covers for some vertical launch system?

Good luck in whatever you come up with :)

3. FatherRob

Since the crew would wind up with a front row view of the nacelle end caps instead of anything majestic, I'd choose to skip that concept, even though it is the most workable and logical of the concepts.

This holds a bit more appeal, though I'd have to decide what I was going to use the VLS for. My concept is that this is done in the TOS era as a study model of the Excelsior concept, and that it is to be the next generation of front line starship, tasked with the typical multimission role as a Constitution. Thus, exploration, defense, diplomacy, etc. I don't want to overdo the defense side with missile silos, but perhaps atmospheric, oceanic, geological probes... that might work.

Rob+

4. Whorfin

Whorfin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

IMHO, the Rec room view point wouldn't be terrible, compare it to the officer's lounge in ST:TMP and its not that bad. Nacelle proximity is a possible issue for shuttle or cargo hatch use, unless the doors are on the port/starboard walls, but that's also true for impulse exhaust so it could be ignored. Extra crew/marine barracks ''wings'' as on a FASA Chandley class? Extra labs and sensor space (you could mount TOS upper/lower sensor domes on them)? A combination of shuttle bays and sensor domes would be he most visually radical, I guess. You could use them as something horizontal for a Reliant type roll-bar to be connected to (scratch-built or not). It sounds interesting, and I have designed something not too dissimilar for an earlier era (WIP). Please let us know how it turns out.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

FatherRob (no offense), are you good enough to build a tiny rec room to go behind those windows? That would be awesome.

Another idea would be sideward firing torpedo tubes.

:)

6. FatherRob

[/quote]

No offense taken, and no way... I am definately a beginner at modeling!

Rob+