If there is going to be a new series...asian Riker

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Lt. Cheka Wey, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    That would waste some valuable transporter/phaser/starship action.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly I'd rather have the sex than the love.

But I could also do without EVER seeing a virussy pon farr nebula radiation thingie make everyone want to jump everyone's bones again. That's just embarrassing.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

You make it too easy. ;)

But you're absolutely right. Trek has always been way too wishy-washy and juvenile in the way it depicts interpersonal relationships.

It's suppose to be this super-advance, tolerant culture, and yet everyone's a prude.

The way Picard is portrait in his relationship with Crusher is a lot like the boys in high school slice-of-life anime. It's kind of pathetic, really.

It's not like I'm expecting total soft-core, or even a long drawn out marriage thing. But it would have been nice to have shown them run off on shore leave together, have a shag, and come back to work. Like grown-ups do.

4. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

Just because they're not sleeping with their colleges it doesn't mean they're prudes. Anyway, there are some trekk babies. There are some small romances and there are some "they just did it" scenes. In one of the TOS episodes Kirk even seemed to imply Spock was sleeping with a woman (this side of paradise). It's not that they're all virgins. It's just that they don't sleep with their closest colleges and best friends. Which is great! Because that means there is less time wasted on boring soap opera stuff. The love stuff going on between Riker and Troi, Picard and Crusher, Nurse Chapel and Spock. It was subtle and never compromised the plot.

I'll admit I am a big fan of "innocent" shows like the A-Team. I like how "clean" they are. They are pure entertainment. I also like the less innocent shows like Dexter or Hung. But it's nice to actually have one show that doesn't focus on death, sex and love.

5. teacake

Yes I know people were married and had babies and so presumably there was sex going on. On DS9 tons of people were married or in committed relationships. I realize I am asking for a Star Trek which isn't really what we've had with Star Trek, which has been an "innocent" show as you say BennieGamali, which is of course totally possible (to be innocent) even as people marry and have children. As we have seen on a hundred other family shows. And you know I'm absolutely fine about it if it stays that way, I just think it may be hanging out with the dinosaurs as far as tv goes if it does. Especially as a science fiction show when people expect their science fiction to be edgy or at least pretending to be edgy or if it's humourous skeeter into the ribald at times.

I feel like Star Trek has always been sexy to me. That's because I made it sexy in my head starting waaaaay back in K/S territory and merrily carrying on through all of it. But the reason there is so much hype about subtext in this fandom is because NOTHING HAPPENS :guffaw: so that is all we have. And before anyone says anything I don't mean this BBS which really doesn't do that element of fandom at all other than the occasional thread. But it's very much a part of Star Trek fandom.

So I can see Trek going either way, I just think the way forward is to have adult elements that it so far has failed to do either at all or convincingly.

Do NOT read the novels. What they do to Picard, Crusher, Riker, Troi and Chakotay in their love relationships and baby making is utterly embarrassing.

6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Meh. I usually find that actually wastes some valuable screen time.

7. BennieGamali

K/S?

Hmm.. Well, Spock has always been sexy to me. I did laugh a bit when I heard hs fanmail increased a LOT after the pon fahr episode though.

I am sure I would still like the show if they incorporated all that stuff, but it would have to be done in a cool way. And they should stop making vulcans humanish just to have the vulcan love thing.. Secret romances that weren't really a big part of the plot would be ok I gues, as long as they don't repeat the T'Pol Trip fiasko. I really liked T'Pol at the start. She was a great vulcan.She was cute in the end.. But not sure why they had to make her so damn emotional..

Anyway! As long as it doesn't steal the thunder of the actual story, I wouldn't mind too much. The thing I would hate was if all the chars were doing their "sexy pose" all the time.

8. BennieGamali

Yeah! That is my main .. fear?

9. teacake

Kirk/Spock. The original fandom pair. Where the term slash as applied to every other fandom began. IT BEGAN WITH STAR TREK! heh.
    The first secret romance was T'Pring and Stonn :)

That's not what I have in mind at all.

10. BennieGamali

Oooh yeah. Haha it's called Spork. I found out about that once when I was googling for an actual spork, the spoon fork thing. Might have been called Spirk.. Not certain... I was a HUGE fan of Gun's 'n Roses when I was a kid. I googled Slash and thought I had found stories about him (the hairy guitarist). Was a little surprised by what I found. Haha.

Well, I gues we think a lot alike then. :)

11. CorporalClegg

*Waits for Spock noodling the opening riff to "Sweet Captain 'O Mine" on his harp.

12. BennieGamali

Oh myyyy.

13. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Wait, what else is there? :wtf:

14. CorporalClegg

15. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I think it's covered in "death". For some, "sex".

16. teacake

The Phantom Menace did that.

17. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

That was the Luceno book before that.

18. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Gay Asian Riker.

Gaysian.

19. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

They would totaly make him the beta in the relationship.