Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jun 16, 2011.

?

How would you grade Green Lantern?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2012.
  1. A+

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

20 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. B

18 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. B-

23 vote(s)
    16.2%
  7. C+

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. C

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. C-

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  10. D+

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  11. D

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  13. F

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Well, it CAN'T be the asteroid belt, because it's the other direction. Realistically, it's not the remnants of a comet either.

You know what it is? A writer and a director's poorly thought out idea.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Having seen GL again this evening, I found again that since there's no longer much point in worrying about the box office it's more fun to watch. It's rather like Serenity in that respect - based upon the encouragement of someone close to me to take an interest in it I had high hopes for that movie, loved it when I saw it and was very disappointed that it bombed and foreclosed the possibility of more to come. Years have passed, I still love the movie, and the fact that it was a commercial failure is trivial now.

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Agreed 100% I'm gonna get into a little bit of fan-wank territory here, but I have an idea for what they really should have done. One, sad to say it as he was probably the best thing in the film, but ditch Hector Hammond. Replace him with Atrocitus, and have Atrocitus be the one to kill Abin Sur. Then Sinestro takes Hal under his wing as the two of them track down Atrocitus together. This gives plenty of opportunity to show that Sinestro is perhaps not entirely stable. Have him be brutal and ruthless in his pursuit. Then once they've caught up with Atrocitus, he give Sinestro a peek at his future, causing Sinestro to murder him (Not my choice, but there seems to be a rule that the bad guy has to die in superhero movies.) If they were really dead-set on Parralax, they could have had Atrocitus as a minion of him. He laughs as he dies and warns them that something much bigger than him is coming. It could be made to work. Perhaps Atrocitus turned to Parralax in his quest for revenge on the Guardians.

There you go. That would have made the film far less Earth-bound (a primary complaint,) given Sinestro much more screen time and development while making it far more believable that he would become a villain (another complaint,) and working in Atrocitus, who is a fan favorite. Also, if they're pursuing Atrocitus across the galaxy, it allows them to work in more Lanterns, with brief team-ups. Boodika, Arisia? Come one. give the Corps more to do.

So yeah, there's my totally pointless "how I would have made Green Lantern" rant. Of course, that's not the movie they made, and it will never be made so.....yeah.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I would have taken this girl...

[​IMG]

[LEFT]As "Hannah Jordan", with a suit not entirely unlike this...

[​IMG]

And given her a love interest, pictured below, who, at a Halloween party, wears this...
    [/LEFT]

[​IMG]

[LEFT]
    ... And I would have had several, if not dozens, of Corps members flying around and blowing shit up.

... But hey, I'm just a random plebe, and the WB is a huge multinational corporation. I'm sure that they know best. :p
    [/LEFT]

5. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Uh...

Pre-production art shows this very thing, those four fighting Parallax in Coast City. My guess is the filmmakers decided it was best Hal defeat the villain on his own. That those three show up so quickly at the end has got to be a left-over from the earlier draft.

No doubt. I would have preferred a running battle through the Solar System and set this action, if you gotta have Parallax and Hal fight in a rockpile, in Saturn's rings or have them smash an Apollo-type asteroid in the fight. Anything other than an unrealistically dense clump of rocks in the inner system.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it would have been pretty cool if the fight started on Earth with Parallax then proceeded through the Solar System as you suggest. Showing the fact that Hal is just not protector of Earth alone but the entire system. If we do get a sequel, I would like to see Hal travel to the other planets in our "sector".

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

1/3600th of the universe is a little larger than one solar system.

I was more interested in noticing larger implications of the DCU that could see the JLA forming at some point.

God forbid his best pal "Green Arrow"?

I rewatched the Flash recently, and in one episode Barry calls a nosey reporter Lois Lane, who was not Lois Lane of course but the character "Linda Park" which makes you wonder if there was a Superman saving the world in that show every week too but slightly off camera?

Which would be millions of dollars in licensing.

But how much could Jimmy Olsen or Etta Candy cost?

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Well, considering that Warner Brothers owns DC, it wouldn't cost a god damn thing.

9. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

[/LEFT]

Is your solution to everything "needs more lipstick lesbians"? :wtf:

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That is an EXCELLENT philosophy of life.

11. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

Normally when I go see a movie I don't factor the box office into my enjoyment of it.

Weird.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw the movie again, still liked it. My only problem this time-- especially after rewatching the animated movies-- was just how cold and unfriendly Oa and the Guardians seemed in comparison. It just doesn't really seem like the kind of place you'd want to visit, let alone be a member of.

It's a shame we couldn't have seen some of the great camaraderie between Lanterns that we saw in the animated films.

13. Professor Zoom

Linda Park was/is a character from The Flash comic books. She was Wally West's love interest, and also a reporter. So... He wasn't calling "Lois Lane" but Linda Park.

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

And "shit blowing up." Don't forget "shit blowing up."

But, look. I live with a lipstick lesbian I love like a sister. She's smart, kind, funny, an all-around good person, and when she falls in love, she falls for other women. She also likes action/adventure movies, and I know for a fact that she'd be interested in a good genre movie with a girl-girl romance.

Now, just once, I'd like to see her goodness and love honored by Hollywood in a big, fun movie where lots of shit blows up.

Are we wrong, sir?

15. Guy Gardener

Wally didn't exist in this TV show, or at least Barry dumped Iris West (Portrayed by a VERY young Paula Marshall) after the pilot, before she could introduce her nephew to Barry Allen in some feasible way that they couldn't have a relationship with Barry after the fact without it smelling a
    little paedophililly like in Back to the Future.

Barry used the phrase "Lois Lane" (in this context) as a synonym from "plucky reporter" in reference to a recurring (Imdb says that she was only in the pilot, but just watched it. She was in at least 4 or 5 episodes) character called Linda Park who was probably Korean and more than likely a well maintained plus 50 years old. A touch long in the tooth to shine Kid Flash's cherry... Wait. This is 1990. This Linda Park SERIOUSLY predates the comics (Flash #28, 1989) ...Okay, so she doesn't, but the TV appearance might predate the romantic relationship? She was just a Flash hating foil in the beginning, and it was Tina McGee who was Wally's sweet heart thenabouts who Barry stole for the TV show.

I love Paula Marshall.

Either Lois lane is a real person in TV-Flash continuity, in the same way someone says to an up and coming "lady" (the sexism is positively dripping off the walls down here) journalist that they are a regular "Diane Sawyer" or "Katie Kouric" or Lois Lane is still a work of fiction in Superman comics, who are both works of fiction in the TV-Flash Universe and 'Lois Lane" was a pop-culture reference like say "Brenda Starr".

What the fuck was Brooke Shields thinking?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  16. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just saw it this afternoon. I went in not knowing much about the Green Lantern, having never read the comics, and I enjoyed it a great deal, in fact between this and Thor, I enjoyed this a lot more.

This has probably already been covered in this discussion thread, but I couldn't help notice some similarities to the final season of Smallville. A super hero in waiting who is unsure about accepting his destiny. The super vilian who feeds on the emotions of his victims. That all felt familiar to me. But I really enjoyed it. Rated it an A.

17. Professor Zoom

Duh. Of course Wally wasn't in the show. That wasn't my point. Wally's series was going on at the time and the borrowed quite a few things from his series for the TV. For example, how the Flash's powers worked. At the time, Wally needed to eat a lot, just like TV Barry did.

They borrowed the character from the comic book.

You're babbling. And you're not making much sense... You're trying to somehow fit TV continuity into the Comic Book continuity... as if they aren't two separate properties that share ideas...

...so, I'll let you go on with your madness...

18. Guy Gardener

To be a hero you have to over come obstacles, difficult obstacles from within and without.

Unfortunately, most internal obstacles are a little pathetic to other people.

What the Frakk was Hal Jordan afraid of?

Mortality? Frakking up? Success?

The lad had fear for fears sake he was afraid of.

Frakk him.

But is that better than being a head job who is afraid of nothing, who would eat his own feat to win a bar bet?

Sinestro had no fear.

Which means that he had no reason NOT to put the Yellow Ring on.

Why did Sinestro put the Yellow Ring On?

BECAUSE IT WAS THERE!

19. Guy Gardener

I'm making perfect sense.

Now before I checked my spelling for the third time, that was a mess.

All I wanted to fuss over was if one throwaway line, meant that half way across the country Superman was having his origin as well in the TV-Flash Universe?

There was mention of a Museum Curator named Carter Hall in the second episode, which meant that Hawkman was swooping about somewhere in the TV-Flash Universe.

You've never had a fangasm?

And the only reason I mentioned that is because such a melting pot would have been fabulous in this Green Lantern movie too, perhaps if Carol talked about how Wayne Industries or Lex Corp tried to cockblock her in a deal last month?

Criss cross.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Green Lantern 2" is still on track despite the "soft" box office.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/26/green-lantern-2-still-on-track/

This might be one of the rare times where I absolutely agree with Guy Gardner. Sinstro demonstrated throughout the course of the movie that he had no fear. He constantly ripped Hal for having fear and being a coward. Unless we were supposed to "Get in the head of the character" and some how realize that this is Sinestro actually being the one afraid then they did a poor job of writing the character to convey that. Sinestro was a great disappointment to me despite a fine performance by Mark Strong who captured all of his mannerisms. I got a big thrill when I saw him landing with his arms crossed over his shoulder...other than that though Sinestro was depicted incorrectly. I agree that it made no sense for him to put on the ring at the end of the post-credit scene other than the fact that we all know that he is supposed to. This is another case of the first movie feeling rushed and jam packed with story beats that we know are eventually paid off down the road.