Do repeated viewings of Star Trek 09 hold up so far?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Chrisisall, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

4 viewings for me, & plot holes become as noticible as lens flares & concrete & iron pipes.
    But, still loads of fun! *squints at BBS lens flare*
    Sorry.
    Flashback.
    :guffaw:

2. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Holding up good for myself. In fact I caught something new on my fourth viewing. When McCoy is injecting Kirk in the sickbay, I finally noticed that he yelled for Nurse Chapel.

3. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh, yes. :rolleyes: :lol: At this point it's scripture.

4. Chrisisall

Surely not!:guffaw:

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm on my 12th viewing, and it still holds up great. :D

J.

6. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I watched it with the entire family tonight (Thanksgiving). Some had seen it, but others hadn't. Everyone loved it and we had a great time.

My ten year old niece was entranced by it. I think we may have a new Trekkie on the way. :)

7. Chrisisall

:techman::bolian:

8. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We watched it like ten times this week at my son's request. Every time, we notice new logical flaws, and also new cool "easter egg" type things. It never stops being entertaining to watch, though.

9. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

For the most part, yes. The more emotional parts continue to affect me, though time may tell whether the effect is lessened (realistically that wouldn't be very surprising).

The movie isn't perfect...in fact I think it's far from perfect and over-hyped...but it has a lot of redeeming qualities, and frankly, I'll forgive a lot given that it put the Trek franchise back on the map.

10. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

We have watched the movie on screen four times and on the DVD four times. It does have plot holes, and some things just don't make sense. But the thing that keeps drawing me back is this: It's just a lot of fun. :techman:

11. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

The great cast and terrific energy that permeates the movie lends a lot to re-watches, but the time-travel aspect and Nero in general get thinner and thinner for me. Also the "Will Kirk be able to escape the GIANT ICE MONSTER????" gets lamer, and I don't think Nimoy is really as strong in his brief appearances as I did the first time around. In the end though, like Brolan just said, the movie is too much fun to really lose out overall. It's a remarkably tight film, all things considered.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  12. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

11 times at the theatre didn't make me enjoy the movie any less, so I would say yes.

13. lucas1701

lucas1701 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Pretty good on 3rd viewing. Kelvin sequence remains the movie's highlight. Bones is superb. Starfleet going to warp make my hairs stand on end. Nero gets more likeable. Scotty gets less annoying.

Unfortunately the plot holes just seem to get bigger on repeat viewings, the final act still disappoints, and the Enterprise engine room still reduces me to tears.

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen it four times now and still love it.

15. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still Ok.

Ask me again in 10 years

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My 1st viewing didn't hold up.

17. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I snuck away from folks to watch it in a room in our basement last night. My six year-old found me and actually stayed to watch it with me. She said she didn't like it in the theater, but last night she laughed at the laugh lines, was asking me about the characters, and wondered out loud if a black hole could really do "that." She always had an interest in astronomy even at her young age. I'll hook her on Trek, yet.

What strikes me upon repeated viewings is just how fast the movie's story unfolds.

I've also noticed little reactions in the characters that I didn't notice before. For example, Spock Prime seems to have a very slight grin on his face in response to Mr. Scott's first rant.

What also strikes me is the more I view it, the more and more I admire Pine as Kirk. Even the "mouth-breathing" part. Come on, how many times did we see Shatner's Kirk with his mouth agape?

As far as plot holes go, I think the plot holes in any movie will become apparent when it's viewed multiple times. Even Casablanca is full of continuity errors and has a few plot holes that become very easy to spot after the tenth viewing or so. Hardly ruins the movie for me, though. And so far, Star Trek is holding up very well for me.

18. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Watched it and literally isolated all the points that Uhura's role in this movie which only emphasizes that her role is still a step back from her original counter part, romance or no romance with Spock. Being the call girl in the background who doesn't even accept or send calls is not an improvement.

Also, the Narada was in fact DOOMED when it was being engulfed by the black hole. You can see chunks coming off of the ship including those big knife tentacles that make up half the ship. There was no point at all in firing at it. Star Trek doesn't need cold blooded characters, especially if it's Spock's sole development aspect.

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I have watched it once and there are several parts that don't make sense to me, but i figured that's why it's a hit. :lol:

What I really don't get is in Star Trek 4 they go back to the same timeline, in Star Trek 8, the same can be said, but in Star Trek 11 they are in a different timeline? I don't get that.

20. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Uhura's moves on Spock were her idea -- and the idea of every Spock lover; nobody had to tell her to do it, not even the writers.