(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Cardiff, eh ? Well, that's put off our annual FA Cup trip to Old Trafford for another round.

2. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Beckham with his new Milan teammates at Dubai.

[​IMG]
    Galacticos version 2.0

[​IMG]
    Two Ex-Gooners enjoying a laugh with Beckham and Il Capitano.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Senderos technically isn't an ex-Gooner yet.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Its a pity he went to LA because Beckham could of been huge at a club like AC milan for several years.

5. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Providing Attwell's not officiating, I don't really think we'll have too much trouble navigating ourselves into the fifth round ;)

Good to get an early chance to fcuk over the poisoned dwarf though.....

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'd agree re BD, his problem is that he has an overinflated opinion of himself...and Forest really better hope his scouting network has got better since he left us!

I watched the highlights last night, strikes me it was always going to be a tough game, couldn't believe how tight the ground was, and given the elements, lack of morale and FGR basically being up for it I'm just glad we didn't lose.

As for Nigel, strikes me he doesn't have the onveriflated opinion of himself that Ince has, but if he did come to Derby I'd like to see him appoint a been there/done that assistant.

I see McLaren's name is being mentioned as well...I may be in a minority but I wouldn't have a major problem with that.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

hmm, we'll have to see about that- remember you won't have Camp to save you this time! :lol:

8. Daedalus12

Arsene want him back?

I see him as a better fit in the Serie A even though he has only played one game this season.

Looks like Wenger's plan to move him out of "congestion" has backfired on him. :lol:

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I doubt it, it's just that strictly speaking he's still on loan.

That was a euphemism for "he keeps making stupid mistakes so I'll send him somewhere where the football is played in slow motion".

Unfortunately, most of our defenders need the same treatment.

10. Daedalus12

Senderos has the tactical awareness of the average premier league defender (just not the speed) so he not getting much playing time here either. :p But seriously he has been injured a lot but I think he could work out for us in the end like Henry did for you guys although I think most Milan fans aren't happy with the "project". Ancelotti doesn't trust him at all for any league matches but then again Ancelotti doesn't trust any defenders younger than 26.

Well that is good since you can give us Gallas in this transfer window.

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Pfft, Gallas will be the last person we get rid of. He has to drive everyone else out of the club first.

12. Angel4576

Thing with BD, his scouting network basically covers the whole of Scotland, and Preston, and that's it. I think maybe once he took a holiday to the States, hence we ended up with Lewis and Feilhaber (although he'd already know of Lewis from his Preston days anyway!).

Billy has a huge ego, and will no doubt see Forest as another stepping stone, from memory, hasn't he already intimated as much?

Even so, I think he'll do a decent enough job at Forest. At the very least, they should survive now.

Re the tightness of FGR's ground. Spot on. Exactly how the BBG used to be. Really miss that. Part of what made the BBG such a fortress. Opposition teams used to hate coming there. The crowd were right on top of them. Sadly, at PPS, the fans are far too removed.

McLaren? Only if he brings that crazy dutch accent with him! :lol:

The rumours tend to suggest that Clough is a done deal, but we'll see. Until he's photographed at PPS with a Derby scarf, I'll take it with a pinch of salt....

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah some of Billy's later signings were just weird, although he did want Kenwyne Jones who wasn't at Preston and who isn't Scottish. Expect to see all his mates get jobs at Forest now (Craig Brown included). He will keep em up though, wonder how long Earnshaw will survive?

I'd love Derby to have a crazy Dutch manager! :lol: Clough does seem to be the favourite, like you say though, until its official we could still end up with Iain Dowie:eek:

14. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

They don't come much more crazy and much more Dutch than Jan Poortveilt. 5 months on, I STILL have no idea who he is!

15. Angel4576

Well, as confirmed by DET, we've made an official approach to Clough earlier today. Unconfirmed rumours are saying that he was actually at Moor Farm this afternoon as well. I'm encouraged. The main worry I had was that Clough would just rule himself out, but it sounds, fingers crossed, as though he's at least willing to talk.

A bizarre alternative, apparently Alan Shearer's odds have been shortening all day. Last I heard, he's overtaken Hutchings and moved into second favourite position behind Clough.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I heard this as well. According to teletext tonight though the shortlist is Clough, Hutchings (for politeness sake I'm guessing) Darren Ferguson and Dean Saunders...Looks like one way or another we're going for young up and coming (unless Hutch gets it)

Is it wrong to get excited about a Clough in the hotseat once more?

17. Angel4576

^^ Not at all.

Apparently Saunders has said that he wants to stay at Wrexham for now. Fair play, he's only just gotten into management, perhaps a little too soon for him. Can't fault that.

Don't mind Clough or Ferguson. Definitely don't want Hutch though, not in the long term.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I hope Clough doesn't go to Derby because I wouldn't wish his team to do bad but will have no choice :devil:. His dad may of managed there but Nigel himself has more ties with Forest and would hope that might stop it from joining Derby.

Clough stick with Burton and secure them in League 2 before joining the reds once we ditch Billy probably next year when hes found out to be inept ;)

19. Angel4576

I think you'd actually be surprised at the feelings that Nigel has for Derby Mark. It's commonly known that despite his success with Forest, Brian's heart always remained with Derby. He says as much in the 'In His Own Words' DVD - "Derby were the greatest club I ever managed". It was filmed a few years before his death. It should be noted that Brian never left Derby, he lived there even after taking the Forest job, and AFAIK, Nigel still lives there, or thereabouts as well. No great surprise that Brian's memorial service was held at PPS. Nigel obviously knows of the tremendous love that Brian had for Derby, and vice versa. Even though he played for Forest himself, the links with Derby are irrefutable.

People often wonder why Brian only lasted 44 days in charge at Leeds, comments like this wouldn't have helped his cause, this was on the first day of training;

Fair play though, he was right! :lol:

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Derby was his first love, and probably his true love. He may have left us and married our sister (and stayed with her longer) but I think he always regreted leaving Derby. Certainly he gives that impression in his autobiography.

Looking increasingly likely it will be Clough, I for one hope Burton stuff Torquey tonight and get the record before he leaves though. :bolian: