Supernatural: Season 10 (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA8MGPPMCCU[/yt]

We're less than a week out from the premiere of the tenth season of Supernatural. Who could have seen that coming? Especially in its early years when it seemed like it was constantly struggling to stay on the air. But, here we are, ten years later and Sam and Dean Winchester are still kicking ass and taking names.

I thought Season Nine was a little disappointing after a nice return to form in Season Eight, so hopefully this year they'll bounce back again. I'm still not sure if this is intended to be the show's final season or not. It's still one of the highest rated shows on the CW, and I don't see that changing this year.

Here's a clip from the first episode, "Black."

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691bIPI7SP8[/yt]

Enjoy the new season, boys and girls!

2. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I agree last year was a little meh. Hoping this year they can turn it up a notch. That preview looked good with Moose in full crazed mode.

3. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Yeah, talk about a sore loser. Boo, Moose. :p

Man, that is the team-up of my dreams: Demon!Squirrel and Crowley, kicking ass and being delightfully evil. I truly hope they don't put either of them through badass decay again.

Last season may have been a little meh, but watching Abbadouche getting offed made up for a lot of it. Bitch.

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I liked last season, for the most part. I just thought it was a bit slow--taking too long with the angel politics and not getting into it with Metatron sooner.

I can't wait to see Deanmon in action; I think the Dean/Crowley duo will be fun to watch.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, we've been saying that every year since season six.

6. CommanderRaytas

I spent half the season going "yeah yeah, ON WITH THE MAIN PLOT! More Mark Sheppard and Tahmoh Penikett, please." Since I keep bitching about the show's protagonist-centred morality, I'm Team King of Hades all the way. Dude's basically the reason I got into the show in the first place, back in the day.

Man, I am soooo happy about Deanmon and Clean!Crowley. Those two are badass as hell and I sense a lot of awesome, witty one-liners heading our way. Happiness is me. The previews look great.

7. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I realise this is a minority opinion, but I thought 8 and 9 represented a serious decline in Supernatural. Did everyone suffer some sort of mindwipe and forget about Sam's boring romance? And Dean being affected by the Blade just made me appreciate how well Padalecki played that sort of role, whereas Jensen was playing Dean basically the same but grumpier. Also, 8 had some of the worst stand-alone episodes in the show's history (Bitten, Man's Best Friend With Benefits, Freaks & Geeks) plus that cop-out ending, and 9 had Bloodlines. I'm hoping 10 will be a return to form.

8. CommanderRaytas

Yes, the romance and Bloodlines sucked and were pointless, but there was some serious awesome in season 9, too - the last scene made me a very happy fangirl. Besides, I thought Jensen did a great job being all psychopathic whilst killing monsters, but YMMV.

Also, I love your signature. Dean is a much bigger geek than he's willing to admit. This scene is almost as funny as the "Metatron" versus "Megatron" confusion.

9. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm ready for season 10 to begin.

The Supernatural retrospective on Monday should be pretty cool, too.

One of the things that I'm most excited about in the upcoming season is
    the just announced return of Charlie! I love Felicia Day and her character is one of the highlights of Supernatural in the last few years for me.

Maybe we'll see Dorothy and Oz, as well.

He probably has a ton of commitments to that new Firestarter spin-off series, the Shop, that he's developing, but I sincerely hope that Robbie Thompson has the time to write the Charlie episode(s?) this year. Tradition, and all that.

Anyone catch that Ben Edlund is a producer now on Gotham? After Revolution bit the dust, I thought he might return to Supernatural and write a few scripts, but between this and his reborn Tick series on Amazon, it looks like that won't be likely.

10. CommanderRaytas

Your spoilers have just made my day. That'll be very fun to watch.

On a different note, I seriously hope they don't "cure" Dean too soon, if they do it at all. Seems likely, though, at least at some point during the season.

11. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Season 9 represented more of a serious decline in Supernatural than Season 8. Though I wasn't a fan of the Amelia romantic subplot you mentioned and some of the standalone episodes, I did enjoy the trials storyline and the material surrounding the Men of Letters and how it gave Sam and Dean a place to call home for the first time in a long time. Season 9 regressed a lot of the good of Season 8, damaging the Sam/Dean relationship just when it seemed to have reached a new place of understanding. It also continued the tiresome Dean self-pity party.

Honestly, Supernatural feels like a show desperate to keep itself going past its ideal endpoint which I still believe to be Season 5. That sense of desperation is dangerous to a show. You can find evidence of that in the last few seasons of Supernatural or the latter seasons of Dexter.

There's a chance Season 10 may be a return to form. It is equally likely that it may largely be more of the same that we saw in Season 9. Either way, I feel it may be too late for the show at this point.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I was so interested in this show 4 to 5 seasons ago but now with all the seasons piled up it's become a blur

I think I stopped when Sam and Dean were at a church and they unleashed hell

13. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If this is the last season (which it probably won't be) I expect that the show ends with the two brothers killing each other. There's absolutely no way that Supernatural ends with "happily ever after".

14. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

here's a spoiler. Sam and Dean are going to argue and reuse the same dialogue several times during the season.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed last season overall, and this season has even more potential with the Deanmon/Crawley pairing. Crawley has been one of my favorite characters on the show for the last few seasons, so the fact that he should be a big focus this season has me excited.

16. CommanderRaytas

I don't think so, either, but I'll just be happy if Status Quo Isn't God. I thought the previews were pretty much establishing Dean as content with his new situation - even his quipping with Crowley, totally replacing Sam with him - hinted at this.

Some of the Dean/Sam fangirls went nuts when Dean and Crowley clearly bromanced on the preview (and Sam kind of had a jealous hissy fit at the end of season 9).

I'm pretty excited that TPTB are shaking things up a bit. In all honesty, I have no idea whether they're planning to make it stick. It'll probably depend on whether the fanbase implodes under its own weight or not.

But I always fangirl like crazy when a show I adore dares to stray from the formula (and, incidentally, gives my favourite characters more screen time). Fingers crossed that they don't chicken out too soon.

17. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad my post didn't cause a firestorm - you guys are very polite :) As far as season 9 goes, I haven't had the chance to go through it again and rate the episodes, but when looking through episode summaries, Bloodlines was the only one that had left a seriously negative impression, so it's possible I've been a bit harsh there. We'll see....

Season 10 - it feels like a natural place to finish, but I wouldn't begrudge them a continuance IF they find a way to make it fresh again. I still like the show but Abbadon was not really interesting enough to hang a season on. Hopefully Demon-Dean will really raise hell (perhaps in more than one sense?).

I have mixed feelings about the Men of Letters secret clubhouse. I realise it's necessary from a storytelling point of view, but it does feel a bit cheesy the way they got handed the keys to the batcave. It should have come with more strings attached (e.g. seriously haunted, or full of death-traps, or requiring some magical fuel to keep running). Bobby's place was a kind of home for them, but there was always still the feeling that danger could come through the door at any moment. The clubhouse feels ... too safe.

I don't buy the line that the show was meant to finish with season 5.
    Part of this seems to rest on the idea that Kripke had a definite 5-season arc in mind ending with the apocalypse. But in the commentary for the episode where Cas first appears, Kripke says that if they hadn't lucked out with a great actor, they might have just wound up the angel storyline and gone with something else. And that was in season 4!
    I also felt that the apocalypse was not nearly apocalyptic enough, which for me was a big disappointment. The end of s7 actually felt bigger to me than the end of s5.

I know what you mean about that churning feel a show gets after running too long, though in Dexter's case I think some would say that started in their 3rd year (or their 2nd!). Supernatural has the advantage of having fewer core characters in a much larger world, so in theory there's a lot more they can do to keep things fresh without going too far off base.

I'm looking forward to the coming season - think happy thoughts! :devil::angel:

18. auntiehill

19. CommanderRaytas

Dean continues to be a misogynist jerk, but a little bit worse than usual. Moose continues to be a moron who never, ever learns from his mistakes. Crowley continues to be awesome. The angels are still idiots who completely miss the point of everything. I liked the episode, probably because it left me asking wtf at the end. I mean, seriously?

What is it with this show and bondage chairs?

20. auntiehill

I love Deanmon saying, "I told him to let me go; I'm not coming to save him." Demon-Dean is just slightly darker than regular Dean, which makes it all the more believable for the character.

Crowley, as always, has the best lines. "Where have you been? We thought maybe you'd hit another dog." OUCH. Also, love the Jerk/Bitch exchange to show how Crowley has really replaced Sam.

Can't wait to see more.