Psych cancelled

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lonemagpie, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have recently started watching this, I'm half way through season 3 and I can't really imagine the show stays this good for 8 seasons if the premise remains the same, as the premise is quite limited. I am really enjoying it though.

One thing that bugs me however, I've watched about 40 episodes now and while lots of people question whether Shawn is a real psychic, not one person has said it is because there is simply no such thing as psychic powers.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

How do we know that there isn't, in that 'verse?

3. Pingfah

That is just a lame cop out. It's not a fantasy show, there's absolutely no reason to suspect that normal reality regarding the paranormal does not apply, nor have they ever even hinted at such so far.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Prove there is no physic powers in the real world. ;)

5. Pingfah

Idiotic logical fallacy aside, that's not even the point. Whether there are psychic powers or not, there ARE a lot of sceptics and people who don't believe in them.

6. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

And the show is full of skeptics. In fact, no one in the police department think he's psychic (hence the theme song, and the name of the show). They're just humoring him because he is effective even if they have no idea how he does what he does and can't prove otherwise.

Carlton, in particular, still actively and vocally believes him to be a scam artist to this day. Just a scam artist he almost sort of likes and not-really-but-kinda-does respect due to his track record.

7. Pingfah

I did not say everybody believes he is psychic, in fact I explicitly said otherwise. My complaint was that nobody ever says they don't believe him because there is no such thing as psychic powers, which would be a lot of people's immediate comment upon meeting a "psychic".

8. Mister Fandango

That's a given for skeptics, though. If they doubt he's a psychic, it's because they doubt psychics are real, not because they think psychics are real and just think Shawn isn't one.

9. Pingfah

No, it isn't a given at all. My point is that nobody identifies as a sceptic.

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Even the most grounded TV shows are, nonetheless, utterly fictional and dependent on a willing suspension of disbelief on the part of the audience. You just have to accept that things are that way in the "reality" of that, or any given, TV show.

11. Pingfah

Sure, it's not a big deal or anything, it just sticks out to me that nobody ever says it. I don't get the impression that Shawn himself believes in them though, although to my memory it isn't explicitly stated.

I'll get over it.

12. Mister Fandango

Yes, it actually is. If they believed psychic powers were real, they'd have no reason to doubt him given his track record.

As well you should.

13. Pingfah

You have really not grasped my complaint at all.

I suggest you return to my original post and read it again. If you still don't understand, I really can't help you further.

14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

There was a dip in overall quality in the last couple of seasons, but it's still pretty entertaining. This final season has been a bit of a chore however with half the main cast out for family leave, filming other TV shows, or gone for other reasons. The show feels gutted. Although the recent food truck episode was back in top form comedically, at least.

15. Pingfah

I know she doesn't believe him, Lassie doesn't believe him either, that isn't my complaint. My complaint is that people always say "you're not a real psychic" rather than "there's no such thing as psychics". He encounters hundreds of people and nobody ever says it.

I don't know about you but if I met a psychic, I would not even entertain the notion that they might be telling the truth, and i'd say "you can't be a psychic because nobody is a psychic."

Like I say, it's not a big deal at all, I was just commenting. I didn't really intend to get into a big debate about it :lol:

ETA, the post I was replying to is gone, so this looks rather redundant now.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I deleted that part of my post because I got caught up in a TVTropes article loop while typing it up, and by the time I finished my post this had suddenly grown into a big debate, and I wasn't adding anything new.

But anyway, I understood what you're saying about no one flat-out saying that psychics aren't real, but my point is that I think the Chief (offscreen) deliberately puts it out there to whomever they work with that people shouldn't question the veracity of psychic powers (and Shawn specifically) because to do so could undermine many of the SBPD's cases, and Shawn's future consulting there. She may use an excuse like saying Shawn would find it insulting, or something. She runs interference for him, essentially. It's an incomplete explanation that can't account for everyone Shawn encounters, of course.

I don't think you made a big deal about it, I was just trying to answer your question.

17. Pingfah

OK, I see what you mean. She certainly gives him the most disparaging looks, that's for certain.

Perhaps it is a necessary conceit anyway, in that the premise falls apart if one acknowledges how unlikely it is too explicitly.