Well, I Figured its Time...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Atolm, May 4, 2013.

1. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

For what it's worth, your design with the circular nacelles has inspired me as well.

Actually, I woke up one night in the middle of the night a few nights ago after staying out all night, bolted upright in bed, and had to root around in a frenzy looking for a piece of paper - ANY piece of paper - to jot down some sketches before the ideas drifted away.

I saw my own version of a circular nacelle ship (with my own stylistic preferences for thinner, more wispy shapes, naturally) in nearly completed form. And as I said, the circular nacelles suggest some serious space-and-mind-warping action going on there - but 2D static drawings don't convey it well. I need to learn how to do 3D models and animations.

As soon as I pull the sketches together into something that conveys what I'm going for, I'll post it. Thanks for the inspiration!

2. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

It´s is something really unusual Chris! By my side, makes me remember the Ori ships, from Stargate. :)
    I noticed you already named one of your older concepts as "conceptfederationreyesc". :D

3. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

That's my job, so No mate, thank you.

Thanks mate. I can see the "Ori feel" of her, if asymmetric. The ship will be my newest version of the Reyes. I always make the most unhindered designs I have take my namesake... so this one, when finished, will be the USS Reyes.

4. Atolm

Thanks mate :)
    I'm pretty sure that if that ship was to be made, transporters would be a much more common means to get to places.

5. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

UNLESS the crew were always drunk on Romulan Ale.

6. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A ship that employs non euclidean geometry. Kick ass.

7. Atolm

:techman: Thanks mate

8. reanimatedfish

Kind of also makes me imagine it's a ship which exists in multiple dimensions somehow.

Makes me imagine a vessel of enormous size, who has portions operating safely outside of normal space and time, phasing in portions of itself with different functions as needed.

9. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But it would be bad news if the transporters go offline (remembers when that exact thing happened right after Picard beamed aboard the Scimitar).

I don't even know how a crew drunk on anything could navigate the corridors. And they wouldn't be the ship's crew for very long if Star Fleet Command were to get wind of them being On Duty Under Intoxication.

10. Atolm

That's a cool visual mate! I like those ideas.

its all a matter of technology and redundancy... the more technology gets refined, the less the chances of failure. The proof of that is every piece of technology that was invented throughout history to now. Same goes for designs. As we become more familiar with technologies and materials, what can be done with those technologies and materials can become much more elaborate and complex, or just more effiecient, and simplified, or any combinations of these terms (and many more i am leaving out).
    So possible, yes, but probable, much, much less so.

11. reanimatedfish

Ideas and crappy photoshop images are my bread and butter. Not useful for much else. Well, I can cook.

12. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Thank you, Captain Buzzkill.

13. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

and it would be bad news if the shields failed in combat.
    and it would be bad news if the antimatter containment failed.
    and it would be bad news if the hull failed in space.

this is why we can't have nice things. :vulcan:

14. Atolm

:rommie:

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

R'yleh shipyards

16. JES

That all comes with the territory. It is better to have ships that are fallible, than to have none, and be stuck on one big rock (though the less fallible, or otherwise the less vulnerable, the better).

It would be bad news if a planet's (such as our own) magnetic field were to fail, weaken, or be overwhelmed, leaving us to be cooked or otherwise subjected to all the universe's radiation.

It would be bad news if a super-volcano were to erupt, especially if there is no way to help clear all the dust and soot that would be thrown up into the atmosphere.

It would be bad news if any sizable comet or asteroid were to hit, the bigger, the worse the news for the poor bastards that happen to be living on the planet in question. And heaven help them if a rouge black hole were to enter the system...

This is why we need these "nice things", and I think any civilization without them is vulnerable to extinction. But there is a line between using technology to enhance a vessels capabilities, and designing a ship where if that technology were to fail, the crew might not be as well off as they would be if they crewed a less radical design.

That is not to say that radical designs that take advantage of advanced technology aren't cool, but I'm just saying.:rolleyes:

17. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

I've FINALLY figured out what's supposed to go in the middle of your ring nacelles to show they're capable of really exotic mind-and-space-warping stuff...

I've taken one of my own designs off-the-shelf and modified it rather extensively to fit her out with ring nacelles. All I have in the rings are placeholders, but as soon as I have something post-worthy, I'll post it to see what you think!

I like to imagine you've created a new class of starship warp design, and we can all have fun with it!

18. Atolm

Sure, that's what it's there for :)

19. JES

Well, you of all people should know! After all, you created the darn contraption!!

And yes, who here nominates the inclusion of this design element into the Enterprise-K or L? Or some future Enterprise?