One hundred fifty four or more...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by rahullak, Nov 19, 2012.

1. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am reading Articles of the Federation for the second time now. I can't honestly recall there being a list of the one hundred and fifty four (or more) planets or systems of the Federation.

Do we know all of them?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, we don't know them all, and it's probably best that we don't, since it leaves future authors free to invent new members as the stories require.

3. rahullak

^I agree.

Probably should've included this in the OP: Can we have here a list of the known planets of the Federation?

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

There will be disagreements, because not every alien crewmember of a Starfleet vessel is necessarily representative of a UFP member race.

And TrekLit members won't be listed by Memory Alpha:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Federation_members

Memory Beta:
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Federation_Members

My own page is now rather out of date. I haven't tried to restore it since Geocities ended:
    http://www.reocities.com/therinofandor/UFP2.html

5. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Memory Beta has this list: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Federation_members

Not all of those represent distinct species, of course. One assumes that any colony established by a government that is a member of the Federation is automatically also a member, unless they specifically choose not to be. But there are plenty of human (and non-human) colonies that have governments that are independent of their parent planet but are still apparently a member of the Federation. So the total of 154 would have to be counting governments, not worlds or species.

Also, a fair number on that list seem to be assumed rather than confirmed members.

EDIT: Arse.

6. rahullak

7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Plus that number could easily grow. Just look at First Contact, Picard mentioned how many worlds were members (I forget the number right now), and then in the next movie, Insurrection, we see that species that had only had warp flight for a year, enter the Federation as well (the species that was right at the beginning of the movie, and were munching on the floral arrangements).

8. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If my fading memory is correct, Picard tells Lily Sloane there are 'over 150, spread across 8000 light years'. So the number has not increased much from FC to AotF.

9. 21Spike65

21Spike65 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There's also always the possibility of member worlds leaving the Federation. In the books, we've seen members leave for one reason or another (i.e., the Dominion War), so that could account for why the numbers haven't changed much.

10. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Minor nitpick - the Evora did not become a member, only a protectorate. Not entirely sure what the difference is really, but is that how it was described.

11. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I'm just curious, why when saying thanks have you linked to their profiles?

12. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

He says that it's "over 150" but doesn't give an exact number. Articles of the Federation features the 155th Member of the UFP joining in late 2380. ETA:

It is unknown how the loss of numerous Federation worlds during the Borg Invasion has affected the Federation Member State count. In particular, it is unclear if the destruction of any given world legally equals the dissolution of that Member State, or if those Member States legally continue to exist in spite of the near-total population and territory loss. Given that the Federation Councillor from Deneva and Denevan President retain their offices even after the destruction of Deneva itself (and that the Federation looks for a new planet that will explicitly be the new world of the Denevan people) in TNG: Losing the Peace, I would infer that those Member States legally continue to exist, with their diasporas still constituting a legal citizenry owed representation in the Federation Council and a territory of their own within the Federation, but this isn't explicit. End Edit.

No, the Evorans were not becoming Members in INS. Rather, the ceremony aboard the Enterprise was to commemorate their becoming protectorates of the Federation.

A protectorate is a weaker state which allies itself with a stronger state, who agrees to protect it from external threats. A protectorate is still a sovereign and foreign state and may terminate the relationship unilaterally at any point.

However, later novels revealed that Evora later became a Federation Member in its own right.

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He probably just drags the usernames from the sidebar of the posts into the quick reply box.

15. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

16. rahullak

Yeah, was a little lazy. :alienblush:

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I didn't even know you could do that.

18. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

You can't on IE8 (what we have at work)...