Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Well, I don't "love" SB24 either. Actually I'm still upset that they took out the ground mission. I just use it a lot to test my ship builds.

Bajor was a lost opportunity. I haven't been back since the FEs.

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

SB24 is good for testing builds, that's true. Everyone I've seen enter the match tends to get their asses handed to them at least once (myself included). Part of the issue for me is that once they start releasing boarding parties, and torpedoes, and other things that add up quickly on screen so that there's a whole bunch of random garbage everywhere and the monitor is filled and my ship can't even target anything there's so much of it, my computer just says "fuck it", and I get updates every 3 seconds about what's going on, on the screen.

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Zje design flaw is that while you kill the small ships you are forced to move right into the middle of the spawn area for every Klingon battleship in the fleet.

There is almost no amount of tanking that will get you out of this alive. So you go boom, respawn and start picking them off from the rim again.

4. Rocketeer

Yep, when too many things get onscreen it get difficult to select my intended target. Most of my characters do fine in PVE fights. Of course my engineers fight much different than my sci and tac officers. On the SB24 I look for a player that seems to know what he's doing and take up a wingman position. Most players realize that my proximaty is to their advantage and we work together without having any conversation (I can't type and fly a starship at the same time - that's why they invented Vent).

On another note - I respec'd all my VA/LG characters. Previously, most of their skills were just added willy-nilly as I earned enough points to advance them. So now my engineers are better focused tanks, plus they have 3 tiers in threat so they get a little more attention. My tac is now better focused on tactical stuff and has 1 tier in threat. My sci officers are better focused on sci/med stuff and have 0 in threat. If you think that I've made any mistakes, let me know as I have respec tokens to burn. Some characters have as many as 12 respec tokens.

5. Timelord Victorious

Just in case, any of you decide to check out Star Wars - The Old Republic, now that that is free to play as well, and want to team up for some Jedi action, you will find me on The Progenitor (RP-PVE Server Europe). If you are American and don't want to join a Euro server I have a character on the other side of the Pond as well, don`t remember the Server name right now.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I like the new salt vampire ground mission, but I wish Cryptic would tweak it a little bit so that the non-combat phases in the beginning (telling people to go into their homes; reinforcing the buildings) had much of an effect on the combat portions that follow.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well new Romulus was fun, finally some explorationish stuff to do.

Also I had a very good elite infected space run today, got the optional and as a result have enough omega marks to get a decent start on the reputation stuff.

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm getting blown the hell up an awful lot in SB24. My ship will explode with 0% hull, but full shields. Something doesn't seem right. I've posted in a thread where they're discussing something similar with the STFs over at the forum. Hopefully someone will know what's up. Also, for the record, I'm using the complete Borg set.

9. Rocketeer

Yes, I need any advice you can give. I bought the client and gamecard off Amazon and it should arrive soon.

10. Rocketeer

They must have figured out your shield modulation frequency. :-P

I didn't notice that myself, but the two characters I've tested it with are tanks. I make it a priority to keep the hull healed, even to the extent of ignoring the shields. My philosophy is that it doesn't matter what happens to my ship as long as I have "hull" I'm still in the fight.

I did notice a sharp decrease in dilithium reward and a cool-down on the every PVE mission I tried.

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hm.... just logged on to STO for the first time in a week or so. The launcher did patch, but when I check the available episodes, New Romulus isn't in there yet.

Mind you, I'm still playing season 2, but I can see the other seasons listed already, all the way up to the Undine Invasion. Did I do someting wrong?

12. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

New Romulus is not an episode. It's a new sector block with lots of new daily missions.

13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seriously??

I thought THAT was season 7. Whoops.....

14. Timelord Victorious

A Season in STO doesn't suscribe a bunch of story episodes necessarily.

A season update is more like big code/system expansion that can include new content.

S7 is: the new Tau Dewa Sector Block including many patrols, the New Romulan ground adventure zone and the Reputation system (Omega Force and Romulan) and the Fleet Embassy on New Romulus

S6 was: mostly the Fleet Starbase System

S5 was: The Free to Play conversion

S4 was: For the most part the Ground combat revamp and many things and centent that never happened.

Cant really remember what was part of the earlier seasons, but you get the idea.

To play the new Romulan Content in Tau Dewa you have to reach level 50.

15. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More stupid questions here. What do you have to do to gain access to the underground and mountain pass sections of New Romulus? I know it says something about gaining reputation points, or some other such business, but dumb it down for me. I'm really not techie and a lot of what they wrote sounds like double talk to me.
    Thanks.

16. Timelord Victorious

You have to gain enough reputation points to unlock higher tiers.

If you unlock Romulan Reputation tier 1, you will get access to the warehouse mission in the Staging Area. Each further tier will unlock another instance in another area.

17. Rocketeer

Mage - S7 also brought some Tholian (Romulan) missions. I've played one where you were rescuing captured Romulan ships and another where I was defending a Romulan station. You can access the PVE queue from the Hail Starfleet button.

Sounds like you're following the episode grouping that Cryptic set up a while back. That's okay if that's what you want to do. Sometimes there's continuailty, but often there isn't. You aren't locking into following those. Should be able to jump around if you're the appropiate level.

Timelord - Season 3 (Sector space and crafting update), Season 2 (Vice Admiral and Diplomatic ranks), Season 1 (Special Task Forces).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  18. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

By the way, was there any rollback in dilithium during last Thursday's patch? I'm asking because just before the patch, most of my characters had 16k raw unrefined dilithium but when I logged in yesterday, they instead had 14k refined dilithium.

19. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Are you a Lifer? If so, unrefined gets automatically refined at launch, up to the limit since last time you logged in (for up to 2 weeks IIRC).

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I hit tier 1 for the Omega and Romulan reputation systems today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.