Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

The Tomb of the Cybermen.

Somehow this serial gets even more brilliant every time I watch it. Troughton's Doctor rocked.

Now I'm watching some of the episodes on the Lost in Time set.

2. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok I just finished watching the chase, this whole story is full of crazy nonsense.
    Dracula, Frankenstein's monster fight Daleks. A robot duplicate of the doctor that looks absolutely nothing like him, Steven has a teddy bear and Barbara and Ian get a Prisoneresque whizz round London after they leave.

A must watch.

3. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

The Tomb of the Cybermen (Second Doctor).

I've seen every available Second Doctor serial now except The Invasion and The Krotons. This one is definately one of Troughton's best.

The Three Doctors (Third Doctor).

An excellent story hinged on an excellent antagonist. I know Omega returns in the Fifth Doctor serial Arc of Infinity and I'm looking forward to it.

4. Orac Zen

Had a spare day today and filled some of it by watching The Masque of Mandragora (not entirely sure why, but I've always liked this one), The Robots of Death (one of my favourite Leela serials) and Genesis of the Daleks (pretty much as good as Who - classic or new - gets, IMO).

5. Pindar

I've been rewatching 10 recently which has stopped me watching classic serials.

Once I've been for a bit of excercise and cut some firewood I will get some in this afternoon I think.

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, but 10 is slowly becoming one of them, isn't he? Gradually, we tend to see him as one of the past Doctors, and not one of the new Doctors.

7. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not so much last as current, but I'm watching Ambassadors of Death at the moment with the 3rd Doctor.

8. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^That's going to be my next classic buy.:techman:

9. Pindar

I started watching Resurrection of the Daleks but gave up after a few episodes in favour of Avengers commentary.

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

How few? I mean it was only a four parter.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The Ultimate Foe, which was something of a disaster a terrible way to end the Trial Of A Time Lord season. I liked the concept of the Valeyard and I still do but the story was a mess, Which is a shame since the season strted out so well, but then it's hard to wrong with a Robert Holmes story even though it was his last.

The Curse Of Fenric, an awesome story I loved Mark Ayres music and it was interesting seeing Ace turn into a woman in this story. It was also amazing that the Doctor had to make her lose her faith in him to stop Fenric. Also it ended a rather odd trilogy.

12. Pindar

2, I was very tired.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched Ghost Light last night. What a confusing story.

14. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Same here. I finally got a chance to watch it last night. I enjoyed the story but I was surprised at how few extras there were especially as they had their own disc. The making of documentary was only about 25 minutes long and concentrated on the stunt work (though still very fascinating) and the only other extra, besides the usual trailers, gallery and coming soon segment was an edition of 'Tomorrow's Times' which only seemed to last about ten minutes. I was expecting a longer making of doc and possibly a featurette on the story's recolourisation.

15. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the recolourisation probably ate into the budget so they could afford less extras.

16. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

Watching through Who from the very beginning with a friend. We finished watching Evil of the Daleks. Now that was a great game of chess between two utterly intelligent beings!

As we go through the classics I can't help but sometimes fascinate over how clever the series even back in the day could be sometimes, no plot holes, no one holding the idiot ball.

Just the Doctor being the smartest person around.

Next stop: Tomb of the Cybermen.

17. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

I've been trying to watch the whole classic series for the past year by borrowing what I can from the library. Unfortunately the library doesn't have everything and I'm forced to skip around when somebody has already checked a serial out. In the past few days I've caught:

Death to the Daleks (Third Doctor).

A good story with interesting interactions between the members of the human expedition. The Daleks however were completely superfluous.

Planet of the Spiders (Third Doctor).

Another jaunt to the ever present Metebelis 3. This serial was well written, well acted and served as a great send-off for Jon Pertwee. The only part of the serial I found unnecessary were the human colonists on the planet. All they did was heal the Doctor and make a failed attack on the Spiders.

Robot (Fourth Doctor).

An interesting start for the Fourth Doctor but I think it borrows too heavily from Asimov. A robot with emotions story tends to grate on me quickly. I did however enjoy the twist of Professor Kettlewell being the founder of SRS.

The Ark in Space (Fourth Doctor).

Another well written story and the first real outerspace adventure since Frontier in Space. The Wirms were somewhat hokey but I liked the idea of people being used as incubators, a precursor to Alien.

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Kettlewell was a member of the SRS but he wasn't the founder of the group.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just watched The Ambassadors of Death today. That was a really cool story. Sicne it was a seven parter, I had only intended to watch it in two chunks, but ended up watching it all in one sitting. The action scenes were really well done.

20. Orac Zen

My copy of the Beneath the Surface box set turned up today so naturally I had to start watching it. The Silurians (in particular) and The Sea Devils are two of the best serials of the lot, not only demonstrating Malcolm Hulke's genius but also providing comprehensive proof that classic Who isn't mindless fluff or a mere kiddie show. It's beyond me how anyone could watch either serial and not be impressed.

I'm partway through Warriors of the Deep; so far it's at least as good as I remember it.