Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

I think it makes sense that "solar" system could be a "generic-ized" term no longer applying to just the system around the star called "Sol." I mean they still call the main star(s) a "sun" (an Earth-specific term/name for our star) and bodies orbiting planets a "moon" (the English word/term for Luna.) In fact there's plenty of time a lunar orbit is referred to and the soil on a planet is called "earth."

It's probably best to think of the bodies in our solar system to be the "base names" for objects. Main star(s)= a sun. The entire system = solar system. Objects orbiting planetary bodies = "moons."

Our planet and solar system is just the generic point language is based from. At least from a Human/English point of view. ;)

2. asp7485

asp7485 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing this means in full HD (meaning they located the film), otherwise it would be neither intended nor unprecedented. :)[/QUOTE]

At the Las Vegas convention, there was a panel with the Okudas and they mentioned the extended episode would be in HD as they found all the film elements.

3. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

While I realy am enjoying the Season 1 box set, I really think they need to up the ante on bonus features. The three part documentary is fantastic but I would have like to have maybe had a few select episodes with running commentary, or something similar to the Okuda pop-up trivia they used in the TOS set.

Hopefully with future sets they will invest a little more in bonus features, but I'm sure that largely depends on overall sales. Speaking of which, does anyone have any sales figures for week two of the release?

Yancy

4. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I agree, and from the sounds of it they will be doing more in terms of special features this time around. They've confirmed a longer cut of "Measure of a Man" for season two, plus commentaries with Ira Steven Bahr (probably for season 3, most likely for "Yesterday's Enterprise"), in addition to continuing the "Stardate Revisited" series of documentaries. It's probably safe to assume we'll get another blooper reel for season 2, but none after that, since I believe they were only made for the first 2 seasons by Bob Justman.

5. The Transformed Man

Sounds good! I do wish they would port over some of the extras from the old TNG sets, there were some good interviews and behind the scenes stuff. But overall I'm extremely happy with the set.

Yancy

6. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Maxwell and Mott, your observations have been added to the "The last outpost" article at EAS. Thanks for that again! :-)

7. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

The old DVD extras already are on the new sets, aren't they? :confused:

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They are indeed. All the old extras are contained on disc 6.

9. The Transformed Man

They are??? I must have missed that? :lol:

10. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Great work guys!

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool that they found the actual footage.

The only thing that would make it better was if they were resizing the Regula I station as well. They made it so ridiculously huge in this episode compared to it's size in TWOK, that the Ent-D just looks like a little toy next to it. http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s2/2x09/themeasureofaman263.jpg

But the Stargazer wasn't changed, so I doubt this will be either.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Couldn't that apparent size difference just be due to perspective? Or are there other shots in the episode confirming the oddity?

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Why does it have to be the exact type/model space station used for Regula 1? Why can't it be a much larger space station that simply looks like Regula 1?

15. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

Great news that the extended version of TMoaM will be fully post-produced and not just presented in workprint form (at least that appears to be whats happening).

Interesting that they recovered all the footage, when the recent interview with Robert Meyer Burnett seemed to indicate that most of the unused footage doesn't exist, and hence the lack of any deleted scenes so far.

16. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Someone probably figured that TMoaM would be a highly regarded episode or was aware of how well regarded it was and got the cut scenes before they could be disposed. Most other episodes probably didn't get that kind of consideration except maybe AGT.

17. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Heck, it might be even simpler than that: Most episodes probably didn't have enough material filmed to make a 60 minute work print in the first place. Or if they did, nobody assembled such a workprint, so the material got tossed during initial editing. So that the negatives survived in this case might be tightly linked both to the "over-shooting" and the original workprint having been created.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well there's this one:
    http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s2/2x09/themeasureofaman025.jpg
    Because it's just SO recognizable as the station from TWOK. And even appears to be shot the same way.

I certainly don't mind them fudging the scales a little bit for TNG (because you don't want the Enterprise dwarfing the station completely), but I do still think they went a bit overboard.

Especially considering the station doesn't really have the kind of detail for such a huge scale.

19. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, this is one of those instances that I just wish they'd replace the station wholesale if they don't fix the scaling. It's one thing being respectful with the directorial choices, it's another to not fix something that makes no sense.

20. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps this is a good point to create a "Blu-ray Season 2 discussion" sticky thread? :drool: