The Snowmen Grading and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Dec 25, 2012.

?

How do you rate The Snowmen?

1. God bless us, every one! (Fantastic)

45.3%
  2. Full of Christmas cheer (Very Good)

32.4%
  3. Not a classic, but jolly good fun (Good)

17.3%
  4. Not enough Robot Santas (Fair)

2.9%
  5. Bah humbug! (Terrible)

2.2%
  1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Doubt it - I suspect River won't do that until Moffat's final episode as showrunner

2. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

No, it'll have to be before his final episode. If Trenzalor is where 11 falls (regens into 12), that will be his final episode (unless he's staying for 12)

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't one of the "Night and the Doctor" shorts feature, as one of the many Rivers and many Doctors we see, the River right before the Library?

Ah yes, it's in episode four that the Doctor and River are on their way to the Singing Towers of Darillium, which for River came immediately before "Silence in the Library."

4. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Huh, I assumed River would know more Doctors than just 10 and 11. Not expecting her to head to the library any time soon.

5. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

With time travelers, though, who is to say she hasn't had adventures with future Doctors, in the same way that Sexy has dozens of console rooms the Doctor hasn't created yet?

6. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved it. Probably not quite as much as A Christmas Carol, but very good nonetheless.

Roll on 7.2 now.....

7. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As others mentioned, I was also intrigued by the Doctor saying that Strax gave his life for a friend of his, then another friend brought him back. Glad to see we're going to get a follow-up on that, even if only as a DVD easter egg.

8. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Very mediocre episode for me.......only bits i sat up and took intrest in were the new intro and the new console room.........looking forward to more of those two in 2013.

9. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing I couldn't help but be reminded of when I looked through some screencaps of the episode was the colour red as applied to Clara/Oswin in the episodes she has been (and will be) seen in. Oswin had that dynamite red dress and sneakers, Victorian Clara had the red & black frock, and present day Clara has the red shoulder bag.

Not sure if it means anything in particular, but it's kinda neat.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, the real world reason is because Alex Kingston isn't available to be a series regular.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I would love it if they could work out a series for the two of them together. Even if just a half season, but some time when she is the only Companion.

12. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Right thanks, I do enjoy that one. As well as End of Time, which I never think of as an xmas special.

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Watched this on my flight back to Japan but I'm only just getting the chance to comment. I loved every moment of it, although it wasn't quite as wonderful as "A Christmas Carol."

The overall story was a bit predictable but that was easily overlooked by the great rapport Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman, as well as the supporting cast of Neve McIntosh, Catrin Stewart, Dan Starkey, Richard E. Grant, and Ian McKellan (again, it's a shame it was just his voice but I guess he was too busy with The Hobbit for a live role). Even I hadn't been spoiled that The Great Intelligence was returning, I'm fairly certain I would have figured out it sooner than later, especially with the underground reference. I'm curious to read how new fans react to The Great Intelligence and whether or not they think its too similar to the Nestene Consciousness and the Autouns.

While it was great fun to see Madame Vastra (inspiration for Sherlock Holmes, such cheek, Moffat! :lol:), Jenny and Strax ("I suggest a full-frontal assault with automated laser monkeys, scalpel mines, and acid.") again, I was much more enchanted by the enigmatic Clara. Doesn't help much that Coleman is cute as a button, but the way she moves from scene with such stubborn grace and curiosity that thrills me. She's like a wonderful mix between Zoe, Leela, Romana II, and Amy, if you see you what I mean. Add on top of all of this, how does she keep coming back to life? I love a good mystery! :D

A few random thoughts:

Upon seeing Clara as a barmaid in this time period, I couldn't help but think of Ellie from Big Finish's Jago & Litefoot series.

Maybe because I recently watched the entirety of Game of Thrones and just started the first novel in the A Song of Ice and Fire, I laughed when someone (I can't remember who now) said "winter is coming."

I can already tell people are going to either love or hate the new opening sequence. The classic theme disappears ever slightly more and the equence is quite bombastic (in some ways, it reminds me of McCoy's). But I don't care, I loved it. Especially the return of The Face! I am curious to see how fans react to that.

We didn't get much of a look of the new TARDIS console room, but I already love it. Great callback to the classic console for so many years. I can't wait to see more of the TARDIS interior.

Lastly, I love the twist from the usual "Bigger in the inside" to "It's smaller on the outside!" :lol:

I gave the episode a "very good" but I might upgrade it upon rewatching the episode.

14. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think anybody else has mentioned this yet. Speaking for myself, I really enjoyed the musical score this time, particularly Clara's theme. It's very bright, cheerful, and playful.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I loved her theme as well, and can't wait to get the score when it's released.

16. The Nth Doctor

I feel really dumb. I forgot to check the end of the episode for a trailer until Lonemagpie mentioned it earlier in the thread. :o

More like "Oh My God They Killed Rory!" ;)

I also loved all of The Second Doctor references (especially the stovepipe hat), but I feel foolish for missing the most obvious one: the "snowmen." :lol: :o

I only ever go over there for the audio & music forum which is a very calm and down-to-earth forum and a great place to regularly discuss Big Finish. Pity the rest of the board can't follow suit

Don't worry. The day will come when your beloved Emilia Fox will show up on Doctor Who and you can die a happy man. ;)

17. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

All other things being equal (good writing and other basics like that), that would be brilliant. Shame it'll probably never happen.

18. The Nth Doctor

I would like that to happen, too, but I doubt it'll happen.

But stranger things are known to happen. Most people here didn't expect to see Donna again and certainly not as a primary companion for a season (and loving her, no less).

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I love it because it's a double reference. It's a reference to The [Abominable] Snowmen, but also to The Snowman (really, only the introductory scene fits the story, but it's a nice subtle touch as opposed to the non-subtle last two years).

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

What episode is the Great Intelligence from?