Because I'm completely nuts..

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I went ahead and bought IT.

It was just too awesome to pass up.

I've not seen this series in years, look forward to seeing some of it again.

2. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Which was the better Venkman? Lorenzo Music or Dave Coulier?

(Inside factoid: Lorenzo Music was also the voice of Garfield the cat. After his passing, Bill Murray was cast as the voice of Garfield for the movie(s)...so both L. Music and B. Murray had roles the OTHER had previously been cast for!)

3. Trekker4747

Been ages since I've seen this toon, but I'm going with Music as I recall liking the earlier episodes more for their darker/more serious tone than when the show was slightly more kidified in the later seasons.

4. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Agreed there...the first 2 or so seasons were the best of the animated bunch. Good show overall though...that and "Duck Tales" got me through that time. ;)

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Music. Definitely. Coulier sounded more like Bill Murray, but Music's performance was more fun. And Arsenio Hall was a better Winston than Buster Jones. And Laura Summer was the best Janine.

Heck, I like the original Real Ghostbusters cast better than the movie cast. I liked Egon better when he went stopped being Maurice LaMarche doing a really good impression of Harold Ramis playing Egon and just became Maurice LaMarche playing Egon. And I think Ray is my favorite Frank Welker character ever.

Kinda like Welker and Leonard Nimoy. They both played Spock (Welker did the vocalizations of the regenerating Spock in The Search for Spock) and they both played Galvatron (Nimoy in Transformers: The Movie, Welker in subsequent TV episodes). And since Galvatron was a rebuilt Megatron, you could say that Nimoy took over Welker's character for a time.

6. Trekker4747

Well, it arrived!

:D

Starting to watch it now! Awesome, beautiful set.

Best of all? The lame more-cartoony "Slimer" cartoons that were bundled with the original show late in its run are even seperated!

:D

7. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

I need to start bugging my parents to get this for me on my birthday. ;)

...which is nearly six months away. :(

8. Trekker4747

Beautiful set.

It's only available through Time Life, though, and not at stores.

9. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I didn't click on the original post and thought you bought Stephen King's IT. Then I thought Kryton bizarrely derailed the thread, and everyone just went with it.

In another dimension, I suppose.

10. Trekker4747

Never underestimate things when Trekker is involved.

;)

11. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I hope that you enjoy it.

12. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

$180 for a set of cartoons?? pass

13. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably a dumb question from someone who has never seen this show, but why do they call it "The Real" Ghostbusters?

14. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

Filmation held the rights to a cartoon named The Ghostbusters (and was producing a cartoon with said name).

15. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Filmation produced a live action Sat AM series called Ghostbusters, which starred Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch in the early 70s, about-wait for it, a trio of ghost busters! Columbia was oblivious to the fact that their big, million dollar budgeted movie starring one of the biggest stars of the 80s, happened to violate Filmation's copyright. Fil entered into an agreement with Colum to use the name, allowing Colum to proceed with it.
    The movie became a huge hit, and a few years later both studios decided to produce an animated version of their respective properties. More legal wrangling ensued, with the end result, Columbia's having 'Real' tagged onto it to differentiate it from Fil's 'Original Ghostbusters'.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

For what it's worth, the actual title of Filmation's original live-action sitcom was The Ghost Busters. And as I understand it, Columbia sued Filmation for the right to use the name, and they settled out of court for an undisclosed sum, with the settlement preserving Filmation's right to use their original title and concept. Filmation's animated show (a sequel to the live-action original, featuring the twentysomething sons of Storch's and Tucker's characters) had the working title of The Original Ghostbusters, but the title it ended up with was Filmation's Ghostbusters.

17. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

So, does the dvd experience live up to what you remember as a kid? For me cartoons that I watched as a kid just (almost) never do. Not that I see much of them anymore.

18. Trekker4747

Eh.

It still a good cartoon, I'd say one of the better-made ones fromthe 80s, and I'm enjoying watching the DVDs but, frankly, they're more novelty than they are anything else, I'd say.

19. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Fascinating! Thanks for the info. I had no idea there was a "competing" Ghostbusters franchise (albeit a much smaller one) out there.

20. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I so want this one... As soon as I have an extra $200 laying around, I intend to buy this. Just one of many pieces of my youth I plan on picking up.