The Enterprise-E is so ugly

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Beyerstein, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

It looks weird and never even looks like the same ship from different angles.

They should have just kept the D. It was iconic.

Mogh likes this.
  2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

[matchgameaudience]HOW UGLY IS IT?[/matchgameaudience]

3. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Enterprise E is so ugly, Breen ships won't ask her out.

ED-209 likes this.
  4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The Enterprise-E is so ugly...

...The Enterprise-E is so ugly, no one wants to get their hands on her BLANK.

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Richard Dawson: "WARP CORE EJECTION SHAFT"

6. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Charles Neson Reilly: Speak for yourself!

7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to agree with those here (and in the other thread) who say the Ent-E is ugly. I *never* appreciated her, not in 1996, not in 2002 and certainly not today. Both internally and externally she's dank, dull and lacking in character, everything about the design feels like the guy who designed her for Starfleet in-universe must have been clinically depressed. I'd certainly hate serving on her. The 1701-D by comparison was full of life and vibrancy. It made a much better visual imprint IMO and in both the TV series and in the 'Generations' movie it feels like home. But 1701-E was so sterile feeling, like if everybody had sold up their charming 18th century cottage and moved into a soul-destroying McMansion. 1701-E was such a generic looking ship, it could have been from any other sci-fi franchise.

It worked for 'First Contact'..... barely..... facing up against the Borg ship and whatnot it was a good visual match..... but 'Insurrection' and 'Nemesis' both really showed up the flaws in the visual design. Put 1701-E in any "ordinary" non-combat situation and it just looks wrong from inside to out.

So yeah. I'm not a fan of the Enterprise-E here. :p

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It never worked for me. It looked like they took elements of the Connie-refit, the Excelsior and Voyager and put them in a bag and then stomped on it.

Mogh likes this.
  9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I thought the ship fit the design of its time. Each era had their unique design. Kirk's era had the Constitution, Miranda, and Excelsior-like ships; followed by TNG's Ambassador, Galaxy, Nebula-like ships; to the darker/sleeker/war time ships like the Defiant, Voyager, and the Sovereign.

10. Lance

^ Yeah, I felt exactly the same way about Voyager as well.

1701-D felt vibrant and like a community in space. 1701-E and Voyager each felt like sterile work environments. I know which I prefer. ;)

I also agree with what somebody said in the other thread about the Enterprise-D being iconic and an important part of 'The Next Generation' in itself. And given that the TNG movies were being launched off the back of the then outstanding popularity of that show's final season, it seems very short-sighted of the producers to have just arbitrarily destroyed the 1701-D and replaced it. As someone said in the other thread, it's like if they'd replaced the DeLorean in BTTF2 with some other car. Or turning the TARDIS exterior into something resembling a generic spaceship instead of a beat-up old police box.

Indeed, for marketing purposes its obvious that the 1701-D has once again supplanted the 1701-E as 'representing' TNG visually, which says it all really. Nobody outside of the fandom cares for the 1701-E.

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The E has that klingon ktinga looking plating, which seems very wrong, but overall it is still a huge improvement on the -d, which is just comically front-heavy, with those itty bitty nacelles in back that look like they are mounted backwards (try putting the model together wrong, it is a distinct improvement) that it has never looked right to me.

I'd've been much happier with the -C design for the -D, OR for the -E.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I actually like the "D" because it looked unique while still looking like a Star Trek ship. :shrug:

Mogh likes this.
  13. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  14. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Paul Lynde: "The Enterprise "E" (creepy laugh, laugh) is so ugly (creepy laugh laugh) she could knock a (creepy laugh laugh) what was the (creepy laugh laugh) question? (Creepy laugh laugh)...

15. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

16. NeroShrimp

NeroShrimp Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'll take the Enterprise-E over the D anyday!

17. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am one of those who wished they had just kept the Galaxy class for the movies.

For me, the Enterprise-E was a ship that some angles (IE view from top), it looked good. While I was a fan of Enterprise-D, on some angles, E-E was a refreshing return to an almost Constitution class look. But from the bottom, I just did not like it's look, nor did I like the side view.

Bottom line: I don't hate the Enterprise D, and thing it looks alright, but far from my favorite incarnation of the Enterprise.

Mine would be
    1. Enterprise 1701 refit/1701-A
    2. Enterprise 1701 TOS
    3. Enterprise D
    4. NX-01
    5. Enterprise E
    6. Enterprise B
    7. Enterprise 1701, alternate
    8. Enterprise C

Mogh likes this.
  18. Lance

This is the crux of my preference for the D.

People complain about it being front heavy externally, or being overlit/beige/like a cruise ship internally, but to me that's what gave it some of its character, some life beyond the stodgy utilitarism of simply being a ship-of-the-line. Things like the wooden rail on the bridge, homely things.

The 1701-E, it didn't have any of that. Nor did it replace it with anything else. It just felt... sterile. Functional, but without character.

The more hard-edged angle taken by the Enterprise E's design is such a complete 180 from the 1701-D's design philosophy, that I honestly couldn't help feeling that something iconic about The Next Generation was actually missing in those last three movies. The actors were all there, but the spirit was lacking. The presence of 1701-E (or more particularly some of the decisions made on the drawing board during the design of the ship) was a big factor in that. 1701-D had an unique ambiance all its own which was as much a part of the TV show's success as anything else, and which the 1701-E lacked. IMO. :vulcan:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I loved the E in "First Contact." It was new and different, and it looked so badass going up against that Borg cube.

But in INS and NEM, it just seemed...off. It had no character, and it was just too damn big. The bridge is overwhelmingly large, and the way it was filmed never really gave a good sense of its design. It just felt like a giant room with too many damn work stations.

20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral