The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Oh well. To the best of my knowledge, there's never been any kind of Star Trek figure line in the scale you're wanting. I just took a look on Amazon, though, and there's plenty of the minimates at much better prices than the site I linked before. Some of the two packs are only running a few dollars there. That's what I get for just going with the first link.
    EDIT: I just remembered, there was a 3 3/4 inch line from the recent movie. Those have gotten more expensive since then, though, despite being dreadful figures.

2. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Oh, that would be much better, and I get free shipping on Amazon. I think I'll keep looking around, and if anyone has more suggestions that'd be great, but those might just do!

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

How small do you need them? Trek figures have ranges from 3" to 12" over the years, so there's no real "standard size". The smallest I'm aware of were the old Galoob TNG figures from the first season, which were about 3". They're pretty tiny. Here's a Tasha Yar on ebay, for example.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's almost as if he's saying "I shall have my revenge, Sirs!"

5. thestrangequark

See, I know nothing about figures! I just assumed standard size was about three inches, because that's the size of the ones I had when I was a kid. And I think they were from that series! I am actually looking for something more like an inch and a half -- like little army man size. I thought of getting model paint and painting army men to look like Trek characters.

6. Gepard

Try these: Micro Machines Innerspace Playsets. They're tiny playsets with itty-bitty figures accompanying them. They don't have articulation, but if you're okay with that, they might work. I think they're, like, a half inch tall or something. Pretty tiny.

Then again, for the price you might be better with your painting idea. There's only two characters per playset, so you'd have to buy a bunch to get the whole crew.

7. thestrangequark

That is EXACTLY what I want! Thank you!

8. Gepard

*tips hat*

9. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok...I think I'm going to break down, splurge and get me a couple of Hot Toys figures. I'm thinking of getting both of the Captains America on offer: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=901386&ref=learnmore_901386

and

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=901855

Or I might ditch the Avengers Captain America for a Dark Knight Rises Batman/Bruce Wayne

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=901896

My one concern is that I tend to be one of those guys that never takes things out of the box. Therefore the true greatness of these figures might be lost on me.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I really like it, man! That's so awesome looking! Good work! :)

11. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

I saw announced at San Diego Comic Con a company plans on making the never-made Kenner ALIEN action figures...apparently based on the Kenner molds and in the same style 3 3/4" with like 5 points of articulation.

12. cooleddie74

I saw blurry slide show pics of those ALIEN figures...I didn't know they'd be limited to just 5 points of articulation, though. But given the current Hasbro trend I can't say I'm surprised.

13. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

It's not Hasbro producing them, but some smaller company. Yeah, using Kenner designs, though. I guess the jumbo Star Wars figure makers are doing that, too.

I looked at the 2013 Star Wars line up and it's mosty do-overs. Where are the fun obscure aliens...some odd droids, but you have to buy 6 figures to build them.

14. cooleddie74

^
    Did you hear about the upcoming line of 12" Star Wars figures?

5 points of articulation and their weapons will be molded into their hands.

I'm not joking. Hasbro's people claim they're going for the feel of the original, classic 12" figures from the late seventies. But I dunno, in this day and age people expect a lot more from 12" dolls and figures than just neck, shoulder and hip joints and a weapon or accessory they can't remove from the character's hand without breaking one or both.

On the bright side, they'll retail for only $14.99 each. Which doesn't say a lot about their quality in and of itself, but I digress.

So far only four are planned: Revenge of the Sith Anakin, an Episode II Clone Trooper, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader. I guess they'll wait and see how these do before greenlighting other characters.

15. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Toys have come a long way since the 70s, but toymakers seem determined to keep making them in a retro style because it's damn cheap to do so. Lousy sculpting, minimal articulation, poor paint, etc. Nostalgia only carries a line so far. I have no love for any of the original Star Wars figures. I want my super articulated, detailed, and accurately sculpted characters.

16. cooleddie74

I get the feeling the new 12" line might be a flop. If this were 1978 or 1979 I could see them doing gangbusters, but even little kids nowadays demand more from their dolls and action figures.

I mean...weapons molded to the hands? What kind of potent herb were these suits toking when they said yes to that? Even the original 12" figures from the late '70s had removable weapons and accessories! :rolleyes:

17. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL The Bespin Leia headsculpt is an absolute joke.

18. cooleddie74

It's a Hilary Swank action figure. ;)

19. cooleddie74

Here are the packages for the Vintage Collection's "realistic style" Clone Wars figures: Obi-Wan and Ahsoka. These follow the realistic Clone Wars Anakin that was released a few months ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All in all, the Photoshopped artwork doesn't look half bad. The Obi-Wan cardfront is clearly the standout of the two. The Ahsoka artwork was, I believe, designed to bear a resemblance to voice artist and actress Ashley Eckstein, who provides the voice of Ahsoka in the CLONE WARS animated series.

20. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm curious...how many folks here actually take their figures/vehicles out of the box?

I used to do that with great joy. Now I'm super paranoid and never take anything out of the box.