Fan Filmmaker's Primer

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Maurice, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'd suggest starting a new thread on this topic in the root directory of Fan Productions, where more people might see it.

You can usually delete posts. It's under EDIT.

2. Maurice

This has been floating around for a while, but I thought it was worth sharing because while it's nominally about writing it's true of just about any creative pursuit, and especially about that period where your taste exceeds your ability. It's super-short but worth it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  3. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Thanks for that Maurice. I admit I am on my third novel (non-Trek although there are Trekkies in it and one of them creates an artificial life form he names after a Trek character)... and I threw a play in there to try to get the 'keep it short' down. This is going to be the first one I try to sell... the others just weren't good enough. I have done about 30 or 35 rewrites, and I'll probably do 10 more. I've gotten comments from more than 25 people, and every one of them was useful. They helped me get out of my own head.

4. Maurice

10 Tips For Kids Who Want to Be Filmmakers! : FRIDAY 101

While this is supposedly aimed at "kids" who want to be filmmakers, what he says is good advice for any beginner.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  5. Ron Asman

Ron Asman Ensign Newbie

What are the sound blankets? They look like packing blankets I can get a Harbor Freight...
    Thanks for the info.

6. Maurice

Yeah, they are effectively shipping/packing blankets.

7. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

You can get comforters for a few bucks at Dollar General or just about any other place that sells stuff cheap. Thrift stores are great hunting grounds for that kind of stuff as well.

8. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just popped in here to say thank you for all the tips and tricks. I really liked some of the Camera stuff, from the first couple of pages. Although I haven't read anything to do with post production. Or at least the Digital Effects side of things, at least on this thread.

So if you guys don't mind, I wouldn't mind putting down my own two cents here if that's okay with you guys.

If you need to know, the majority of my experience is in two games, one was critically praised at an student indie show in which I was lead artist and pipeline TD, plus three years of college specifically aimed at modelling, texturing, and lighting.
    I am currently a contracted character modeler/rigger at a small indie studio. This would be the second game I'm working on.

Cheers,
    Chris Johnson

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  9. Maurice

Hi Chris. And welcome.

To date the focus here has mostly been on the practical side of planning and shooting... on Production as opposed to Pre- and Post-Production (albeit there have been momentary detours to those topics). In part that's because it seems like a lot of fanfilms are strong on the VFX side and weak on everything else, and my strengths and interests are in writing and production (and editing, but that's another topic). In fact scriptwriting tips were put into a separate topic just because it seemed like a poor fit with the hands-on nature of this topic.

Naturally, anyone is welcome to share tips and tricks in this topic—that's what it's for after all. Based on the feedback I've seen it seems most of the readers here appreciate posts most when people share practical, easily grasped tips and advice. It's important to explain the "whys" as well as the "hows" (e.g. explaining WHY directional continuity matters, not just how to do it).

If you have stuff to contribute, by all means do. While I started and sort of curate this topic, I don't "own" it nor do I want to.

Heck, if i turns out there's TONS of post production stuff contributors want to cover, maybe it deserves its own toipic. I suspect people primarily interested in post production pipelines aren't so interested in sound blankets, C47s, booming, C-stands and "manmakers". ;) But I'll let others chime in on what they'd like this thread to contain.

10. MikeH92467

Given that the seemingly most consistent problem with fan films is sound quality, it may warrant it's own thread.

11. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Perhaps it would be best to start a post-production thread. With hundreds of posts already, we could think of each of these threads as a 'chapter' or 'section', and post-production deserves its own. As one filmmaker has pointed out to me privately, there are more than a few fan films out there with completed photography which have never been released. It would just be easier to find things in such a thread.

12. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Threads for writing, pre-production, production and post-production. And one of these days we'll really need to get James Cawley to write a book on the mountains of research he does for his projects (right down to organizing accurate bookends for Kirk's quarters).

13. Maurice

In this topic no one's yet contributed a single detailed how-to post on sound, so a separate topic promises to be short-lived unless someone really takes ownership of it.

Frankly I'd love to see an experienced sound person write some how-to posts here, as it's something I have only a passing knowledge of since I use pro sound guys who bring and operate the appropriate gear.

As to Cawley and Co.'s research and application of same, that's more costume, prop, dressing and set related (really preproduction) and kind of specific. At the same time, since so many fan filmmakers seek to make "museum pieces" of such things, it would seem a popular subject. Doesn't Gschnitzer post about that on the Phase II boards?

14. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks, Mainly I wanted to talk about just organisation. Most people hire studios. So most of the technical Post stuff I don't need to go through. But I was planning a primer on pipeline and managing assets, especially if your hiring freelancers. Okay well I'll get to work on that.

15. Maurice

Most fan films involve no "hiring" at all, just people donating time and effort, so I'll be interested in seeing how you'll apply such methodologies to an all volunteer effort. :)

16. MikeH92467

It seems to me that fan producers are fairly good about making specific casting calls for actors but not quite as specific when it comes to behind-the-camera and post-production positions. Somewhere upthread I seem to remember a list of positions that need to be covered. Sound experts would certainly be on my list.

17. jojolimited

jojolimited Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

On any low budget independent production, sound is actually more important than visuals (unless you are making a silent movie). It's been the bane of many many independent productions. Great sound can make up for mediocre cinematography, bad sound ruins even he best.

18. jojolimited

jojolimited Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nicks fan films are an excellent example of good writing and acting making up for little VFX. You don't miss them.

As far as age? My son is 37 years old. I probably am too old to get into full on commercial movie making, but not to old to do low budget movies. Never too old for that.

19. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Thanks, I try even if I don't always hit the mark.

Good to see you back around here, by the way. :)

20. Maurice

Yes. We've said that repeatedly upthread: sound trumps picture.