Star Trek audiobooks- more to come?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by borgboy, Nov 20, 2013.

1. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I had nearly all the Trek audiocassettes, abridgements of some of the novels. Even if I'd read most of the novels, I still enjoyed listening to them while driving.
    I recently discovered that a new unabridged reading of Sarek was available at Audible since March. I've since downloaded it, and it's in my to listen to stack soon. I'm assuming this is a new recording, it's a new reader, not Mark Leonard, and it's unabridged. Other than the recent Into Darkness novelization though there haven't been any other new audiobooks. I wondered if anyone knew if there were plans to release more Trek books as unabridged audiobooks.

2. DavetheAvatar

DavetheAvatar Ensign Newbie

I would really hope so. My mum is a huge Star Trek fan but she is also blind, so listening to audiobooks is a big thing for her. We've been working through various Star Trek novels by me reading to her but it would be great for her not to have to rely on me being around for her to enjoy them.

She would enjoy Sarek though, so I will check that out.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's actually a 2012 rerelease by Simon & Schuster Audioworks, via Audible Frontiers download, of a 2001 Chivers/BBC version, that was originally on cassettes.

Unabridged audios:

"The Physics of Star Trek" by Lawrence M. Krauss, read by Larry McKeever, Books on Tape, 1996, approx 390 min. (Non-fiction.)

"Sarek" by AC Crispin, read by Nick Sullivan, Chivers Sound Library/BBC Audiobooks America, 2001 (Re-released: Audible Frontiers download, 2012), approx. 879 min. (Different to the abridged S&S version, which was read by Mark Lenard.)

"Star Trek Nemesis" by J.M. Dillard, read by Grover Gardner, Chivers Sound Library/BBC Audiobooks America, 2002, 347 min. (Different to the abridged S&S version, which was read by Boyd Gaines.)

"Vulcan's Soul, Book 1: Exodus" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe, Recorded Books, 2004, 510 min. (Different to the abridged S&S version, which was read by Boyd Gaines.)

"Vulcan's Soul, Book 2: Exiles" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe, Recorded Books, 2006, 630 min.

"Vulcan's Soul, Book 3: Epiphany" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe, Recorded Books, 2007, 694 min.

"Star Trek" by Alan Dean Foster, read by Zachary Quinto, 2009, approx. 480 min.

"Star Trek Into Darkness" by Alan Dean Foster, read by Alice Eve, 2013, approx. 535 min.

My comprehensive Trek audio list is at:
    http://therinofandor.blogspot.com.au/2007/05/i-hear-star-trek.html

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  4. borgboy

I didn't realize that Sarek had been previously released unabridged on cassette. That does explain why it got a download release. I was (and still am, but with less optimism) hoping that other Trek books will get unabridged audio releases.
    I do have the Vulcan's Forge/Heart/Soul books too.
    @DavetheAvatar I recommend checking out Big Finish's audio dramas. I'm a huge fan of those. They don't do any Star Trek (yet) but they do dramatic readings and full cast audios for other great shows, like Doctor Who and Dark Shadows. The overall quality is very good, and they've recently permenently dropped the pricing on the first 50 or so Who releases.

5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. borgboy

I don't speak German. I'm jealous of the people that do though since they have access to those books on audio!