And now The Newsroom....

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Warped9, May 13, 2013.

1. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I loved Sloan constantly getting cut off and the her and don stuff. I loved the Reese and Charlie exchange. Overall a good season ender.

2. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Fucking aced the season finale. Great episode, I can't wait for season three!

I also love how I started out not really liking don when the series started, but he's been on fire this season. He's one of my favorites now.

3. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I agree Emher! I couldn't stand Don when the series began, now I can't wait to see him in a scene (I kind of had a similar journey with Hank on Breaking Bad).

I'm glad they resolved the Will/Mac tension (for the moment anyway!). I think they are one of the few TV couples who will just as much fun to watch together as they were apart.

4. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

The scene with their annoucement was hilarious. "Mackenzie MacHale MacAvoy ... no, that won't work." :lol:

5. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

^That and Neil just going "What?!" in his happy goofy way :lol:

And I actually (yes, silly, I know) feared for a bit there that Emily Mortimer would leave the show. I would be devastated, I fucking love her.

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Isn't there an issue now with Will and Mac marrying? Something along the lines of conflict of interest? It's all I could think about when they announced their engagement while Reese was still in the room. Heck that moment he said something to his mom during the celebration further made me think of this.

Not that I enjoyed the nice ending of the episode, but that was on the back of my mind. Perhaps it will be somewhere to go in Season 3?

7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Why would it be a conflict of interest for an executive producer to be married to the lead talent of the show she produces?

8. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I dunno, I found this ep a bit of a let down. I'll watch it again and give it some more thought as to why.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Finally got to watch the season finale. Really liked it and felt more like the show was in the first season. No surprises on the conclusion of the Genoa-thread (we knew no one would leave/get fired) though I wish we were given something with Jim/Maggie. Olivia Munn continues to steal the show.

I just, again, really wish the whole season had focused on the election instead of the Genoa nonsense.

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I don't know, that's why I was asking.

I work in retail and someone in a position of authority would never be able to get away with dating an underling, let alone marrying one. I realize television is probably different than retail, which again, is why I was asking.

11. doubleohfive

You'll forgive me if this sounds pretentious (it is not intended to be) but the hierarchy of above-the-line employees on a television show and how it works is a little different than in retail.

Just off the top of my head, Lucy Lawless who married Rob Tapert, her producer on Xena: Warrior Princess, and later Spartacus.

I'm not saying it always works and I'm not saying there isn't potential for problems, but in the fictional world of The Newsroom, I don't see Mac and Will's engagement causing the kind of conflict of interest you seem to be worried about.

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

It never hurts to ask :)

13. doubleohfive

Very true. No hostile tone or sarcasm intended.

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Nah, I didn't take it that way at all.

Well knowing that, it does change my views of the finale (only that I took it as bittersweet rather than the feel good ending they intended).

I'm glad Don and Sloan appear to be getting close, I never cared for him with Maggie anyways...although the way Maggie acted last season, I never felt he should have been with her either. And speaking of Don, to agree with what someone said upthread, he's really turned into an interesting character since the show began. I'm also liking Jim more too, especially since he no longer appears to be the guy who is going to break up Don and Maggie (she did that all by herself), I do think the two will at least try to date in the near future. But for now I like Jim with that other reporter (who's name escapes me).

I also really enjoyed the Genoa storyline. Sure it was mostly fabricated, but that worked and made for some real drama since we had no idea how it would play out. Though based on the framing device in the first handful of episodes with everyone talking with the lawyers, I knew it wouldn't end well.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, I came around on Don too and quite like him.

Is a third season ordered or is that yet to be seen?

Again, overall a meh season. But I'd much rather see the show hindsightedly tackle issues and "criticize" the media in how the handle(d) them rather than making up storylines like this Genoa thing. And, really, the 2012 election would've been a playground of things to tackle.

Glad to see Mac and Will together so that won't be a series-long sexual tension/workplace romance drama. I just thought the first season was much, much better and want to see more scenes of Will behind the news desk tearing apart interviewees and editorializing on issues. We just did not get much of that this season.

16. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

And there's Julie Chen, who's married to the President of CBS.

I feel the same.

Though I'd much rather see him in a relationship with the lawyer than with Sloan.

17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I've also come around on Don. I hated him during the first half of the first season but now he's one of my favorite characters along with Sloan, so I love their budding relationship (and really, it's the only one I really care about).

18. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I respectfully disagree. We don't need Sorkin to play Captain Hindsight. Frankly, he's not good at it. His attempts are not subtle, they're patronising, and they're not even particularly insightful. Leave that stuff to Stewart and Colbert, two guys who are experts at media criticism, with the bonus that they're pretty funny.

What Sorkin is good at is writing interesting original stories with good characters. The Genoa story had some missteps, but overall it was a good story and made the best use of the characters so far this series. It was a big step up on the types of original stories that appeared in the first season, which mostly involved cloying romance antics.