Day of Honor reading order?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by milo bloom, Oct 21, 2013.

1. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Hello, couldn't find anything on this - I found the omnibus version of this the other day and was slightly puzzled at the order they're presented in the book. The TNG novel is first, then like DS9, then TOS, or something like that. Does it matter which order I read them in because I was expecting them to be in series order like the Invasion! series (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY).

thanks

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Not really.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The books are each self-contained adventures and don't have to be read in any particular sequence, but they were published in that order for a reason. Maybe partly it was just to mix things up (since the previous crossover, Invasion!, had started with TOS, so this time they saved it for last), but the idea was to do several books about the holiday and then finish by explaining how the holiday began.

4. milo bloom

Thanks, I'll just dive in then.

(Wonder if there's ever been interest in doing ENT books for series like DoH and Invasion! ?)

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, the premise of the books is that the Day of Honor was created to commemorate an incident involving Kirk and Kor (as seen in Treaty's Law), so there couldn't be an ENT entry without some serious retconning. Similarly, Invasion! showed Starfleet first becoming aware of the Furies in 2267, so if an ENT novel were added, it'd have to be something in the vein of "Acquisition" or "Regeneration" where the crew never figured out who it was they'd encountered.

6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Didn't the omnibus also have the YA DS9 story? It's funny how DS9 and Voyager managed to get the majority of the stories in that mini-series, since you also had the novelization of the VOY episode, and the only cross-over with the YA books.

7. milo bloom

OK, hadn't read DoH yet, so wasn't sure how old the Klingon holiday was, and as for ENT for Invasion!, that was my thought too, it would be something they wouldn't be able to identify as "The Furies".

(Dang, now I want to re-read Invasion! too). Currently on book 3 of Cold Equations.