So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Glad you enjoyed ZST. I liked it quite a bit, too.

While it's a bit spoiler-y, I went into why I didn't enjoy Seize a few pages back in this this thread. All told, it took me something like 9-10 days to read through Seize.

EDIT: Added link to the original comment. Mainly, though, I think Seize is overlong and needed a good editorial pare down. It's not outright bad, there's some fun stuff and a few nice character moments. Keru feels less like the guy whose ideas are always being shot down in this one and Martin does have a good voice for Tuvok. The book also has a good deal of errors as compared to the other books in the line - not the author's fault per se, but they do make for some unintended humor.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Err, page counts depend on individual user settings; on my browser the current page is 110. Could you specify a post number instead, or just link to it? Thanks.

3. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

Alas, age, gravity, and childbirth have taken their dreadful toll upon her physique since those halcyon days of 1985, but I can't recommend that movie enough. She certainly had glory about her in those days. :)

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

So, I finished Chris Roberson's Book Of Secrets - was fun for the most part, as a nice play on various pulp heroes and tropes, though the stories-withing-the-story didn't all quite feel like writings from the appropriate era. The first couple did well, though, and it's fun to recognise the inspirations.

You can tell it's an older book reissued though- at no point does our inquisitve hero just whip out his smartphone and head to wikipedia, instead of looking stuff up in actual bricks-and-mortar reference libraries! Because, of course, there were no tablets and internet smartphones in 2001.

Downsides were a somewhat rushed, tell-don't-show ending (and which felt a bit Creationist), and - not the author's fault - a fair number of typos throughout (someone having a waste instead of a waist, for example, and not even having a bathroom scene as an excuse).

Twas fun, though, and I would now like to read the apparently-related "End Of the Century". I'd say it's the weakest of Roberson's books, but if that's as bad as they get, then that's good. If you see what I mean.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  5. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I'm a bit of the way into Seize the Fire and I have a quick question. Is the idea of the Gorn that some of the castes are "Arena" Gorn and some of the castes are Mirror Universe "In a Mirror Darkly" Gorn? I'm not quite clear about that aspect of the story, but I like the book so far. (50 pages in)

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I think that's the intent, yeah.

7. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Yah, dude, the Hegemony is definitely built on the foundation of a caste system, and the dominant, 'warrior' caste feels seriously threatened by the events in the novel. I think that answers your question without spoilers. :)

I never considered any correlation with the MU Gorn, I thought the representation in 'Seize the Fire' was so cut-and-dry that it was almost painful. When I re-read, I'll keep that in mind.

8. Lonemagpie

Started on the first Dresden Files book...

9. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Finished The Fall: The Crimson Shadow by Una McCormack today. I'm now back-tracking to Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony in preparation for The Fall: A Ceremony of Losses.

10. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I'm on a catching-up phase, so I just started "Indistinguishable from Magic". 90 pages in and already enjoying it :)

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

Vanguard: Reap the Whirlwind

Really enjoying this series - it's absurdly ambitious but so much fun.

12. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Currently reading:
    Justice League Adventures Collection #1

13. Lonemagpie

Huzzah!

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I hope you enjoy it! That's probably my favorite novel series going right now. Can't wait for the next book to come out in May. :D

15. Slyvon

Slyvon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Almost by accident, I started reading the "Age of" trilogy by James Lovegrove. Read Age of Zeus and halfway through Age of Odin. I would like to read all three books but I'm going to have a tough time not setting these aside to start Star Trek: Voyager: Protectors!

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

May !? Is Butcher a writing machine or something? Thought the last one only came out in December!

Only got the first 5, need to get the rest.

17. Skywalker

Nope. The last one, Cold Days, came out in November 2012.

18. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I just started reading The Fall: The Crimson Shadow

19. Skywalker

Finished Vanguard: Declassified, now on to What Judgments Come. So close to the final book!

20. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished reading the second "A Time To..." duology, A Time To Sow and A Time To Harvest. I enjoyed this much more than the first pair, though I'm still not convinced it needed to be two books.
    I'm watching the remastered TNG blu-rays, and coincidentally watched Conundrum between reading the two books.