Weird things we do in our sleep

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by propita, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It makes you sound like an adorable kitty cat.

2. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been known to talk in my sleep on occasion. I also tend to cry out in my sleep, so I can only assume I'm experiencing heart-pounding adventures in the dream world. A shame I can't remember them.

My sister used to sleep walk, though I never have. Once she was found at the door fiddling with the key, trying to get out of the house.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  3. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Do erections count as "weird" for the purpose of this thread?

4. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

only if they're an unusual shape

5. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I've answered the phone and carried on a conversation in my sleep.

6. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

I toss and turn a lot when I sleep, but always roll in the same direction. Many mornings I wake up cocooned in the duvet while my husband is shivering. He's a very deep sleeper, though, and hardly ever wakes up from the cold.

7. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

8. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm told I used to get up in the middle of the night, dial the phone and give the receiver to my father. Most times it was just a tone, but sometimes it was someone speaking a language he didn't know.

9. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

When I was a kid I would sleep walk frequently, usually just to the foot of my parents' bed and stand there creepily. I also had night terrors for a few years.

Now that I'm older, I have some really strange sleeping positions, but the oddest thing is that sometimes I will go to sleep inside the covers, in a certain position, and then wake up in the middle of the night in the same exact position except on top of the covers. And they are perfectly straightened like the bed has just been made. Usually I wake up from feeling cold, and then I feel confused and freaked out about how I ended up on top of my blankets in the same position, especially since I am a very light sleeper now and even just the cat silently walking into my room wakes me up.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I am exactly the opposite! Planking on my bed is my daytime nap position. I lay down like that and I am out within minutes. If I try it at night, it never works. :lol:

My old roommates used to walk past my bedroom during the day to find me planking on my bed and couldn't figure out that I was just taking a nap.

11. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

My wife once told me that I got up in the middle of the night, picked up the phone (which wasn't ringing), put the handset to my ear, waited a few seconds, turned to her, and asked, "Who's Mohammed?", then hung up the phone and went back to bed.

I do not believe that actually happened. It seems more likely that she dreamed it as I have never been known to sleepwalk before or since.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Once when I was a freshman in college, my roommate produced an audio recording of what he claimed was me snoring. I dispute this claim. If I snored that loud, I would wake myself up. And the ASPCA would have arrested me for torturing an elephant, because that's what it sounded like.

13. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Snoring doesn't necessarily wake you up, and if it does, you probably wouldn't know why you woke up.

14. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

It may be time to set up a video camera. Paranormal activity or (even more cool!) alien abduction may be involved...:techman:

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Trust me, it would wake me up, and I'd know why. I am an extremely light sleeper.

16. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Sorry, it doesn't always work like that. I'm not saying that you definitely snore, I'm just saying that you can't really know.

17. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Well, I stop breathing. I.e. I have sleep apnea. When i had it examined it was discovered that I have on average 70 breathing "halts" per hour. The normal is five. With treatment with a CPAP that has now been remedied to about one per hour. So slight improvement.

I used to sleepwalk a lot when I was a kid.
    When you say talk, is it gibberish or coherent? I'm just asking since my cousin talks pretty damned coherently in his sleep. My mom was witness to a conversation his parents had while they both where sleeping, in which they both where convinced they where out tenting. and the rain was pouring in and they where looking for the bucket :lol:

18. Mr. Laser Beam

I've heard talk that some people actually have sex in their sleep - sometimes with an unwilling partner. I always wondered how that could possibly be prosecuted in court, if at all. Obviously you can't control what you do in your sleep, so if somebody is sleeping and they assault someone in this manner, how could that possibly be punished?

19. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

When we were kids, my youngest brother would talk in his sleep. I discovered he also answered questions... which made for interesting interrogations! He never did find out how I knew everything he was doing.

20. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My husband has talked in his sleep, not very coherently, sometimes in English, sometimes in Spanish. When he's spoken in English, I've asked, "What?", initially because I thought he was talking to me. He would wake up. When he's spoken in Spanish, I've asked, "Que?" He would wake up.

THE MAN NEVER HEARS ME TALK TO HIM WHEN HE'S WIDE AWAKE, BUT WHEN HE'S ASLEEP, MY WHISPERING WAKES HIM UP?! WTF?!