Primeval series 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Christopher The original creative team are still involved, it's probably just a new member of the writing staff who wrote it.
    As for the episode itself, I enjoyed it. The effects seem to have become better in the two year gap. It's great to see Siddig again, though I'm not too sure of the other cast members yet. Hopefully it can come up with something interesting to keep the series going because I thought last series arc, with the idea of anomalies being responsible for creatures of myths and legends was an interesting one, it was just a shame about the quality of some individual episodes.

I know I'm going to be annoyed by having to wait for series 5 since Watch will be premiering it instead of ITV.

2. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You weren't the only one:)

It was good to see Alexander Siddig again and I will be tuning in tonight to see the second part:)

3. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I Have a question about the ARC. In the opening narration, Lester says that he has been in charge of the ARC for 5 years. This leads me to ask exactly when was the ARC founded? It appeared that post crisis, that the ARC had been around for a while. However, that seems inconsistent with the anomalies being a recent discovery during series 1.

In a similar vein, do you think that we will ever find out what Helen did to change history? No one seemed really concerned that Helen changed history in some pretty significant ways, or worried that there may be other changes that they are not aware of.

4. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually the show mostly concentrates on very ancient animals or the future. So far I remember only two cases (ancient Egyptians & medieval knights) where interaction could have directly affected the course of human history without going the route of biological changes.
    Pretty much everything else can only be described as occurring off-camera.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, as you say, the events of the series 1 finale led to an altered history (I assume that's what you mean by "post crisis"). This narration was from the POV of the Lester from that altered history, so he has no memory of the series 1 version of events, except where they overlap. I have no trouble believing that in the altered history, the anomalies were discovered one year sooner.

Well, nobody was concerned because nobody but Cutter was aware that history had been changed.

And there's no evidence that Helen herself was specifically responsible for the change that erased Claudia and created the ARC timeline. It seems to have been an accidental consequence of whatever Nick and Helen did together back in the Permian, since they returned from there to the altered timeline. Which doesn't really make any sense -- a change 250 million years ago having a surgically precise effect on a few people's lives in the present? No way. Any changes made that long ago would've either been swamped by other factors and made no long-term difference or would've made such a radical change that humanity never existed at all.

6. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

off topic but

:guffaw:

I didnt see the big wow about the new ARC, it seeemd alot smaller, having the big space in the old ARC was useful at times of a creature incurcsion, however the tec has gotten better.

7. Bob The Skutter

So, episode 2 is on tonight?

8. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like it. They mentioned it on the credits last night though the ITV guide online describes it as Season 4, episode 1. (The actual episode description differs from last nights episode though)

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

apparently so, Radio Times says it's on at 7pm. I'll probably catch it on ITVPlayer later.

10. Christopher

^Apparently BBC America is not following suit. They're doing a Bond marathon today, so we have to wait a week to get episode 2.

11. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Where is it filmed?I keep seeing blanked out car number plates that don't look British.
    I'm Not really warming to Jess I also think she's up to something, I hope she gets eaten soon.:D

12. Christopher

The series is shot at Pinewood Studios and at various locations in and around London.

13. Bob The Skutter

Not any more, it's shot on location in Ireland. Moved there for financial reasons, and they say it's easier to get more varied locations within a shorter travel time.

14. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

So in short they are paying less tax.

15. Bob The Skutter

It was part of the deal that got it back on the air.

16. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Some great news...
    If you have digital basic cable, and BBCA isn't in your subscription tier, you may be able to view the show thru the VOD section. I'm on Comcast, and found it there today under the BBA tab in the TV Entertainment section.

A very nice way to open the season. And an improvement for the new arrivals over their webisode introductions. I am having a bit of confusion over the s3 finale. I thought that after separating from Abby and Connor, Danny followed Helen, and they went back in time even further? But finding Helen's controller means they didn't. Shouldn't Danny have caught back up with them then after Helen's end (if they were all in the same time period)?

I'm happy to see Becker's been upgraded to lead character status...Seeing him here makes me wonder why we needed Danny in the first place. I do hope the mystery dude Matt's answering to doesn't fall into cliched Helen Cutter territory. Please given him and Matt motivations that don't include world domination.

There was one glaring omission amongst the mentioning of past characters...where the heck is Rex?

17. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

Rex is in episode 2.

18. Christopher

That's a shame. The show's use of "real" locations was one of its trademarks. If they're using somewhere in Ireland to substitute for London and elsewhere, it will take away some of that real-world texture.

19. Bob The Skutter

May mean they focus less on London though, I mean there is a full country here, why do all the anomalies open within spitting distance of London?

20. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

just quick question, what would be the policy on writting a review that would contain spoilers for BBCAm viewers, but not ITV 1 viewers?