New live action "Turtles"?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Borgified Corpse, Apr 25, 2010.

1. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

That looks so awesome! :techman: I never thought I'd be excited about a TMNT movie, mourning the fact the franchise was probably perpetually stuck in kiddieville, McHappyMeal Land. But there you go, TMNT the way they should be! :D

Edit: Oh, wait...that has nothing to do with a movie. Damn. :(

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

As much as I like a high level of effect realism, I do have to admit that's still a bit creepy for me. :D Almost sort of zombie turtle-ish. :lol:

4. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

They look cool, but look like they should be fighting the real Ninja Turtles.

5. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

As someone who has just recently revisited the 1987 TMNT series, I just have to say that if they ever reboot the live action movie franchise for that property, the best change they could and should make to improve it is to make Shredder more like he was in the cartoon. Seriously. A lot of the episodes seem too childish and shrill to me as an adult, but Shredder is terrific because it's clear that the writers frequently gave him lines that they must have known would go over kids' heads probably for their own amusement. As a result, I can notice them now and enjoy the show on a whole new level. And Shredder was just hilarious...the way he bullied his henchmen and obsessed over the turtles so fanatically that it even drove the people he worked with nuts was inspired.

In contrast, the live action 90s movies Shredder was just an almost mute nobody stock villain with no personality and a stupid helmet. That franchise needs a good Shredder in order to thrive. The other big blunder of the live action turtles movies was that they did not highlight the turtles' unique personalities as well as the show did. They were too similar, aside from Michaelangelo sounding more surfer-like and Raphael having a New York accent. It shouldn't have been so hard to differentiate them since they were all basically types (leader, genius, smartass, party animal). The "TMNT" (2007) movie got that right but had a crushingly boring villain and story. :(

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Maybe if they were evil Ninja Turtles. Or super old. Geezer Mutant Ninja Turtles.

7. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

Hmmm...I dunno, I kind of liked the Shredder in the first live action movie, at least as far as the storyline goes and what not.

8. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re-booting TMNT to make them look more "realistic" is walking a fine line. The turtles, in all of their incarnations, never really looked like what a giant mutated turtle would look like in the real world. Accuracy wasn't exactly a concern. So trying to re-vamp the turtles' look to make them really look like giant turtles could really screw with any sense of nostalgia that the fans had for them. Ya know, kinda like turning Bumblebee into a Chevy Camaro... but anyways... I think the live-action turtles looked really good in the first film. Maybe start there and then make minor adjustments to make them look a little more realistic without completely transforming their appearance.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

With "Avatar" right now setting the bar for technology I think if there was a reboot with a reasonable budget they'd try to emulate the realism and use the same techniques.

11. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

I never understood why they wore masks to begin with. There's, like, four of them. How are you supposed to be anonymous when you're a giant mutated turtle?

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't think that's what they're for.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

In the cartoon I'd say it was more for quick identification from the viewers. In the comics, the originals that is, I'm not sure. I suppose less for concealment and more to look more "ninja-y."

14. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I think they did that on Robot Chicken...

15. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Definitely more realistically turtle-y, but I don't like the beak.

16. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

*Does not want*

17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I thought the 1st live action movie really nailed most of their unique personalities. So much of that movie (as with the 2007 CGI movie) was centered on the personality clashes between hot head Raphael & straight arrow Leonardo. With those 2 doing the major dramatic heavy lifting, Michaelangelo took care of the comic relief. Donatello didn't get so much to do. He mostly just sort of palled around with Michaelangelo. But then, Donatello's super-genius inventions probably wouldn't have really fit in with the "dark, gritty realism" (TM) that the 1st movie was going for.

The 2nd movie tried to brighten it up more for the kiddies but the Turtles maintained their unique personalities. In fact, Donatello even got to be more science-y since he had Professor Perry to talk to.

It was in the 3rd movie that things kinda fell apart. It was like the studio wanted to turn all of the Turtles into Michaelangelo. Raphael kept some of his toughness and they turned the softening of his character into a character arc. Donatello got to do some technobabble exposition but seemed more concerned with feeding Corey Feldman as many one-liners as possible. The real problem was Leonardo. They tried to make Leonardo funny, which totally undermines his character as the serious Turtle.

I loved the 2007 CGI movie. I thought the villains were decent, if not anything to write home about. But what really sold the film was the strong Turtle characterizations, especially building up to the big Leonardo/Raphael fight. I'd love to see them do a sequel to that film.

I was just thinking that.

18. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen that style before but I can't place where. It's certainly a possible test prop but that doesn't mean it will be the final design.

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

What the heck? Looks like a lizard or a toothless Gorn with a headband.

Oh and those at the slashfilm look look unhealthy. They look sick.

20. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

live-action "TMNT" reboot for 2012

Probably not going to happen in that style.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/platinum-dunes-steers-turtles-relaunch/

the imdb listing:
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)
    no info yet. in development.