Going Veggie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

TBH I've come close. I've been pretty direct that eating seafood isn't vegetarian and certainly think that eating meat is wrong.

Yes, animals kill each other all the time, but we're evolved. We have empathy and should know better.

We only rarely need to kill for survival, and normally only do so for pleasure - we like the taste of meat.

However, I wish to state I know very few vegetarians/vegans and have many carniverous friends. I don't hate all meat eaters... :)

2. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but you also don't come off as an asshole or use false claims when stating your opinions.:) So far the only people who have done that in this thread are the ones saying it's wrong to be a vegetarian/vegan.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

All I ate yesterday was plain yogurt and all bran, 47 chocolate easter eggs and a papaya.

I'm fantasizing about huge chunky salad now..

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    47??? I hope they were those tiny ones.

I'm on a melon/mango/salad & seeds diet. Though did cook a chicken.

5. thestrangequark

We are disturbingly alike in many ways.

Or alike in many disturbing ways.

6. teacake

Well it wasn't really 47 but it freaking felt like 47 once I'd stopped cramming them in my mouth long enough to remember I don't even like chocolate much less the crappy waxy brown stuff that they wrap in foil for Jesus's resurrection.

7. thestrangequark

Forget what I said before. I don't even know you now.

8. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

teacake...why don't you like chocolate?

9. thestrangequark

Clearly she is unbalanced.

10. teacake

I don't like sweet things very much, and chocolate is just another sweet thing. Not a special sweet thing like it seems to be for many people but one of the vast array of meh sweet things that I shove in my mouth from time to time but get no special enjoyment from. It's kind of pissing me off more and more over the years with it's fatty brownness.

So. More for you.

11. thestrangequark

^More for me I can handle. :)

What about unsweetened chocolate, like in mole or xocolatl?

12. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I used to love the milky sweet stuff when I was a kid, but as an adult my sensibilities have evolved to darker stuff. I can't believe I actually loved kinder chocolate so much as I once did.... :eek:

13. thestrangequark

^I much prefer very dark chocolate as well. A minimum of 75%. It's a completely different thing to milk chocolate, which definitely falls more in the category of sweets for me. I do like sweet milk chocolate on rare occasion, but I don't make a habit of eating it.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

These confection confessions are confusing.

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I went for my checkup today. While my weight (217 lbs) and my blood pressure (130/74) were good, my blood glucose A1C was 9.7, which means my average glucose reading is 230-250. My doctor was very concerned (as was I!), and so we're trying a new medication alongside the metformin, and he's going to give it 3 to 6 months to see if it starts lowering my A1C. If not, then I may have to begin taking insulin.

16. thestrangequark

Just keep working at it, J, because every step you make in the right direction helps a little bit. It's also important to remember, though, that diabetes is a really complicated illness, that is not all down to diet and exercise the way some people like to claim. You may be the best possible diabetic in terms of taking care of yourself, and still have shit numbers, for any number of reasons.

And don't worry about the insulin, it's pretty easy. You can always pm me if you need to!

17. Amaris

Thanks tsq. :)

Actually, I feel bad more for my doctor than for myself. He was so happy with my numbers, and then we did the A1C test and he came back in the room five minutes later looking positively crestfallen. He said that they were much higher than he had expected. Poor guy, and I'm the one with the high A1C! :lol:

18. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

May I ask which medication your doctor added to metformin? So far, I am doing much better using Janumet (januvia + metformin). I also use Amaryl (glimeperide) for those times when Janumet is not enough. My A1C is now averaging 6.5 which is right on the money, so to speak.

I have always loved dark chocolate, to the dismay of parental units and siblings alike. I remember looking forward to a bar of Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate on occasion. Now, my tastes are a little more refined, but I couldn't care less whether it is Brazilian 65% cacao or from Chile, etc. I do like when I find the dark chocolate with dried cranberries or blueberries mixed in... YUMMY!

19. Amaris

He's prescribed me Tradjenta (5mg), and he's trying to get me a full year's supply from Eli-Lilly. Way back, I had been taking Onglyza with my metformin, but I ran out and couldn't afford more. Instead of re-upping the Onglyza (AstraZeneca said I wasn't qualified to receive assistance), he's making sure I have what I need. Eli Lilly's assistance program is more relaxed.

Oh yes, me too. Dark chocolate is so delicious, though I have a rule: If it isn't 70% or better, forget it.

20. teacake

J. I'm sorry to hear your test results were not great.. hopefully the new meds will help, and at least you are on the right track with diet already which is going to have so many other benefits.

As to chocolate, the dark stuff can be good but it gives me a heart palpitations if I eat too much. I used to drink black cocoa with no milk or sugar a lot (you dark choc people should try this, it is awesome). Unsweetened cocoa powder and hot water. But that also gave me heart palpitations. I like Lindt chillie chocolate quite a bit but that's because of the chillie :lol: