Favorite Trek Lit Cliffhangers - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Apr 23, 2013.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Over the last few days I've started to narrow in on the big cliffhanger ending of Plagues of Night. I've known about the ending for a while now, but today it go me thinking about past Trek Lit cliffhangers. What are your favorites? Feel free to include both end of chapter and end of book ones. Since we're discussing the ends of books I think it's pretty obvious there'll be big spoilers here.
    The top two that come to mind for me are the attack on Kira and Ro at the end of Olympus Descending and the destruction of the first Excalibur at the end of Dark Allies. Dr. Ree biting Troi in one of the Destiny books was a pretty great shocker too.

2. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The conclusion of the second book of Destiny, with Troi dying, the Titan fleeing, and the Enterprise-E and the Esquiline and everyone in the galaxy finding out that the Borg apocalypse was imminent, is easily my favourite cliffhanger.

3. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

The Excalibur one was the most memorable one for me.

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd have to say the ds9 relaunch books that lead up to Unity and the return of Captain Sisko.It was one of my favorite cliff hangers.Also Plague of night and raise the dawn. The Enterprise Romulan war books had a heck of a cliffhanger ending when it came To Trip Tuckers storyline behind enemy lines.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  5. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

The end of Cathedral is my favorite cliffhanger.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oooh, was that the death of Shakaar? That was great one, I can't believe I forgot about it.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I'm getting too jaded for cliffhangers. When I read the last line of Plagues of Night there wasn't a doubt in my mind that the next book would reveal that the explosion had merely briefly engulfed the station and not destroyed it. A little way into Raise the Dawn I was going, "No f--king way! They actually did it!!":lol:

That said, the ending to The War of the Prophets was pretty damn cool. Try as he might, David Mack's body count will never even approach that one!

8. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

How about the body count in "Echoes"? How many civilizations got dumped into space?

But I think the best cliff-hanger was n "Capture The Flag" when LaForge was captured, and you didn't't know if his team would win or not.

9. DS9forever

The Soul Key has a neat cliffhanger - the Ascendants are gathering as Ghemor appears before them. Fearful Symmetry also had a good ending - Kira and Vaughn transporting to the mirror universe and then flashing back to Sisko giving Vaughn a secret mission.

10. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Yeah, that was good. Now if only we could get the follow-up story!! :)

11. DS9forever

I love the line Ghemor gives the Ascendants when they ask who she is - "I am the fire". Pretty chilling.

12. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Plague of Night has my favourite Trek lit cliffhanger