Censorship and War

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by starsailorjane, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Since after the Vietnam War, the main stream media has shied away from showing graphic images of war. A lot of this has moved to the internet, where the option to view is available. However, most people tend to avoid this and they do not get exposed to the graphic images that those during the Vietnam era were exposed to. Even some of the so called liberal message boards ban graphic images of this kind.

Is this a positive?

I think so. I ultimately think war should be viewed from as aseptic a point of view as possible. Soldiers are ultimately pawns in the global chessboard of geopolitics. Sometimes the widespread deaths of soldiers is necessary for the greater good. The more suffering and death that can be desensitized with the general public, the the more a leader can maintain public support for a bloody war. The more abstract these concepts become to the general public, the better it is for national security and the human psyche. Otherwise, you increase the likelihood of public discontent with the war, like what happened with Vietnam. We could've still won that war.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Odd sub-forum for such a thread...

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So you're saying Picard should've led us during the Vietnam war?

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Both LBJ and Nixon watched "A Private Little War" and quietly nodded their heads.

:)

5. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Not to mention that it makes a pretty bizarre thread on itself...

6. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

"Sometimes the widespread deaths of soldiers is necessary for the greater good"
    Which side are you speaking of? Our soldiers? Theirs?
    Speaking as the mother of a deployed soldier, one loss is one too many.

7. BillJ

This. :techman:

8. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Saying phrases like "sometimes the widespread deaths of Soldiers is necessary for the greater good" and "we could have won the Vietnam War" in the same paragraph would be hilariously ironic if it weren't so God damned sad.

9. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    er, so you're saying that in the TNG era, Starfleet should censor images and reports of war?

10. R. Star

"What about freedom of the press?"
    "Please tell me you're not that naive."

11. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

The OP is a sockpuppet account that has been banned twice now from TNZ for starting political troll threads. I'm assuming from their level of cunning displayed thus far that they simply got the wrong subforum, along with forgetting to tie their shoelaces.

12. R. Star

Considering the level of hateful posting as the norm in TNZ... I'm almost morbidly curious what you have to do there to get banned. :p

13. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Be so blatantly trolling as to have posted the exact same topic, just phrased from different sides of political aisle, on multiple boards including one devoted to rape fetishism (known to us due to another poster's patronage of said site which has - quite aside from his utter lack of wit, charm or indeed evidence of basic synaptic function - earned him almost universal derision).

14. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

well the OP started another Admiral Cain thread in BSG, agreeing with the last crazy thread, so i cant imagine they'll last long

15. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

Good to know. Thanks.

16. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

It's odd that this person sounds exactly like the worlds shittiest troll, Randomfan86...the one who EASILY got his ass handed to him in similar threads in TNZ and then was banned from TrekBBS. It's the whole attempt at trying to present things from the detached and clinical point of view that's the similarity. But at least we'll get a good laugh at the "b..b..b..I'm not that other person" posts. :lol:

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I must have missed the episode where Captain Picard witnessed the horrors of war and sailed up the Argus River on Rigel IV hunting for insane, dangerous Admiral Kurtz.

The horror. The horror.

18. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Moved to Miscellaneous and closed here.

19. BillJ

Though the above likely would've been better than all the TNG movie outings.

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Since the OP is a troll and a sockpuppet, and since half the thread is about discussing him (with more to come no doubt), this is closed. His next sockpuppet can start a new one. No reason to make it easier for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.