Peter F. Hamilton's The Evolutionary Void is released today!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781405088954/The-Evolutionary-Void

^ Free shipping!

Can't wait for this. It hasn't been as gripping as the Commonwealth Saga but I have enjoyed Eldeard's rise in power, and the revelation the Primes are participating in the war with the Pilgrimage.

Hmmm, stills says one day to go. Guess cos in NZ I'm a day ahead of everyone else. :)

2. OptimusPete

OptimusPete Captain Captain

I just ordered mine off Amazon. Hopefully this series will have a more satisfying resolution than his others. I really enjoy Hamilton's books but the man should be banned form including sex scenes in any future releases!

3. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, what do you guys think? After a week of reading a little bit a day before bed, I'm nearly done and enjoy it thoroughly, but still don't see a clean resolution to the mess the galaxy's in. I half-expected Ozzie's girlfriend to rescue Oscar's team mate from the cat, but that's not how things are going so far.

OptimusPete, what's wrong with Hamilton's sex scenes? He's been lighter on them for the Void trilogy.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think his sex scenes are better than his action scenes... he made me REALLY want Ione from Night's Dawn. :lol:

5. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I finished reading my copy... I pretty satisfying resolution to the trilogy, even if a few things are ended just a *tad* too neat for my taste. A couple of surprises along the way as well, which is nice. (Like the origin of the city in the void) I also liked that this 3rd book finally connected to more aspects of the existing universe that had been ignored in the previous 2 books, like the Silfen, Anomine, and the Dark Fortress.

But man oh man, Hamilton needs to learn how to pace himself better in his books. With 100 pages left, and no sign of a resolution, I was starting to wonder if he was going to surprise us all with "to be continued in a 4th book". But he did pull it together OK in the end. But I *really* would also have liked the last 100 pages to have taken up a much larger part of the novel.

The large cast of characters made the series a bit hard to get a grip on (much like his "Pandora's Star" predecessor books), but well worth reading.

My grades:
    The Dreaming Void: B
    The Temporal Void: B+
    The Evolutionary Void: A-

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't too fussed about this. I read it and went "so what?" - I'd give it a C+.