Jurassic World

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by NeroShrimp, Jul 8, 2014.

1. NeroShrimp

NeroShrimp Lieutenant Red Shirt

The new Jurassic Park film is set to be released on June 15, 2015. To be honest, I am pretty excited! I'm a huge fan of these films and really hope that this new movie will be no exception! The third film is probably my least favorite to be honest, and it took away the sense of terror and suspense.

As of yet, there will be only one returning member from the original trilogy: B.D. Wong as Dr. Henry Wu. If you remember seeing him from the first film, he was the one responsible for cloning the dinosaurs. Jurassic World takes place 22 years after the events of the first film and will focus on a new park on Isla Nublar featuring dinosaurs.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah the new story seems insanely silly. After the first three movies I don't see anyone building a new park, that's just silly to me. And now the world is bored with dinosaurs so scientists are now creating new dinosaur species. Just seems silly.

I was kind of hoping for a Planet of the Apes type of feeling to Jurassic World. The dinosaurs have made it off the islands and are taking back the world.

3. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it is a disappointment "world" is not literal (or is it?), but I am watching either way.

4. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would be happy if some Time Traveller got trapped in the Dinosaurian Age, here on Earth and they just made a movie about his survival. That would be COOL!!!

5. bigdaddy

Jurassic Park 3 was supposed to be about Sam Neil's character living on one of the islands, like dinosaur cast away. Instead Sam Neil thought that didn't fit his character so they threw that out right before filming and made what we got.

6. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I think the premise makes perfect sense, it's dinosaurs!, not a single corporation with enough dough to build it would leave such an opportunity to print money alone.
    People get killed in zoos every year still almost every city has one. Nature cannot be controlled, neither can greed. And breeding more exciting things makes sense as a comment on our society's constant need to outshine the things we saw five minutes ago... Reminds me of the social commentary of the first film. I'm in.:D
    (Can't be worse tha JP3;))

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I think it's a play on words with Disneyworld, given the new Isla Nublar's amusement park-like atmosphere, but will possibly take on the larger meaning toward the end of the film if the dinosaurs escape the island en masse, which I think will probably happen.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Even at its worst in JP3, it was still friggin' dinosaurs.

8. bigdaddy

That's my thinking! I'll watch anything with decent dinosaurs in it.

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Where in the militaries of the world blow their asses to hell.

Seriously Planet of the Apes only worked becuase of an apocalypse that collapsed human civilization and the apes were smart enough to take advantage of it.

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Aquatic reptiles are what I want to see.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I like dinosaurs !

By Relayer1, aged 9 and a half.

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Just looked up the writing and directing credits on this. The director is nobody who's done anything particularly interesting, but two of the writers did the new Apes movies, which is promising.

Really the writing and directing credits correlate much more with whether a movie is worth seeing than what franchise it happens to be based on.

13. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Here's a link to one of the animatronic Raptor props:

http://www.jurassicworld.org/?id=169

Seems to be similar to the other ones, except this time with a green color. Just to recount, The originals in JP sort of had a brownish/grey tint, TLWs had the tiger colors and stripes (possibly a nod to their colors in the original novels), and TLW featured the feather-crested Raptors with one white Raptor (The 'alpha' or something like that).

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Safety is Not Guaranteed was pretty interesting, I thought.

15. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Slightly spoilery, so....

So, basicly this time it worked. They build the park, cloned the dinosaurs, and people come and visit. Thing is, people are dickheads, and they get bored of selfies with T-Rex. They want new and fresh entertaintment, so as stupid as corporate usually is, they decide to make the scientists mess around and create new things to keep people entertained, creating odd dinosaurs to attract costumers and such. And ofcourse, things go wrong.

If done right, it actually makes perfect sense. I could see something like this happening in real life. People actually getting bored of dinosaurs and dicks in suits coming up with stupid ideas to make more money.

16. NeroShrimp

NeroShrimp Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have yet to see Safety Not Guaranteed and I hear it's a good one!

17. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Brochure with a map of the island and stuff: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=120544

Interesting they're replacing the Brachiosaurs from the original trilogy with the Apatosaurs which were used in the novel (Although another Sauropod-the Mamenchiasaurus-was used in TLW). Looks like we're getting Mosasaurs as the aquatic reptiles. Kind of interesting Spinosaurus is nowhere to be found, although it looks like some of his relatives such as Baryonx and Suchomimus are at the park.

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So.....

No raptors on the map itself. That's interesting. Hidden maybe? The one thing they dare not recreate?

19. bigdaddy

20. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll watch at least once, either way, but I do hope that the 'World' part is truly realized long before the end of the film. It seems to me that the idea of the long term consequences is the only really great idea that hasn't at all been explored in this franchise so far, and it would be a shame to have waited so long for a fourth movie to have it yet again be explored only in the very (non-comittal) ending of the film, with some cool-looking but ultimately ignored imagery of escaping dinosaurs. All that other stuff, don't play god, be careful what you wish for, life will find a way, who's watching the watchers, etc - been there, done that. It's time for something about whether mankind is capable of sharing the world/no longer being at the top of the food chain.

On the other hand: Mosasaurs are awesome.