Question about Batman's tactic in Dark Knight

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Sisko_is_my_captain, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Honestly? It's a genuine plot hole in an otherwise fantastic movie.

2. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't recall how big the explosion is, but is it really impossible for a fat biker to have enough explosive material inside him? I'm also no expert on explosive material, but a single stick of dynamite makes a pretty impressive boom. Do we not have more impressive explosives today? Did we not see a shoe bomb and an underwear bomb as a legitimate threat?

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's the logical next step in the progression.

Shoe bomb.

Underwear bomb.

Fat guy bomb.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

the explosion was quite large, at least nearly as large a the one that killed Rachel and wounded Dent, and it ejected from quite a few windows with a lot of force.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Don't forget zombie bombs! (As in Death Valley.)

6. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Questionm about the last bit with the Joker.

so.. Joker is falling.
    Bats shoots a grapple to catch him in the ankle.. I guess.

The problem is that he pulls the Joker up. He wouldn't have enough strength to do that unless he had a way of stabilizing him, the physics is against it. But in a followup shot, the do show that Bats is using a girder located above him to help stabilize it so he can more easily pull the Joker up.. but how was he able to shift the grapple cable to do that?

7. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

I thought it was pretty clear that the explosive at the MCU was in the crazy guy's belly, along with the phone. I may be misremembering, but weren't there two distensions in his stomach? An actual high explosive would be more than powerful to generate that explosion.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

No, look at the explosion burst through all the windows. I don't think the explosion came from a phone in a guy's stomach. the phone must have been a detonator.

9. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

I'll check it out when I get home, but high explosives can be pretty small and produce some pretty impressive explosions. Honestly, I have an easier time believing the phone bomb in the guy's gut than all of those oil drums producing a usable explosion. An impressive fire? Sure, but not an explosion.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

If the drums were filled with AMFO then it'd produce a healthy explosion. (AMFO is what was used in the Oklahoma City Federal Building bombing back in the 90s, it's a mixture of fertilizer and fuel.)

Really, I don't think it matters much where the explosion comes from as I say something like that should fall under suspension of disbelief. Either it was in the guy or "somehow" The Joker had gotten explosives into the building. Hell, maybe the detonator caused the gas-lines of the building to ignite and explode (and yes, in the real world this wouldn't happen but movies often portray a gas leak and a spark as causing a huge explosion.)

It's much harder to try and to make sense of the large amount of explosives on the ferries. Given the tense situation in the city and the critical nature of needing to use the ferries you'd think it'd be ensured they were 100% free of explosives. But, I suppose, even that you have to wave away as suspension of disbelief.

For me, if the story itself is good enough I'm willing to ignore a lot when it comes to things like this in movies.