December Challenge--VOTE!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Nerys Ghemor, Jan 2, 2009.

?

Vote for your 2 favorites!

Poll closed Jan 7, 2009.
  1. captcalhoun's entry: Prelude to Ragnarok

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. CeJay's entry: When Gods Smile

42.9%
  3. Nerys Ghemor's entry: Captives' Ransom

64.3%
  4. Kaziarl's entry: A Q's Christmas Carol

7.1%
  5. Mistral's entry: Qristmas

35.7%
  6. Robert Scorpio's entry #1: We Are the World

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Robert Scorpio's entry #2: Mystery Solved

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. TimmyWI's entry: Son of Ham

21.4%
  9. USS Fardell's entry: A Tale of Temporal Gifting

7.1%
  10. SLWatson's entry: As We Are

21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Links to the entries...unless Mistral would like to start again, I've set it up like the last poll where we can vote for 2 entries, considering the number we had this time around.

captcalhoun's entry: Prelude to Ragnarok
    CeJay's entry: When Gods Smile
    Nerys Ghemor's entry: Captives' Ransom
    Kaziarl's entry: A Q's Christmas Carol
    Mistral's entry: Qristmas
    Robert Scorpio's entry #1: We Are the World
    Robert Scorpio's entry #2: Mystery Solved
    TimmyWI's entry: Son of Ham
    USS Fardell's entry: A Tale of Temporal Gifting
    SLWatson's entry: As We Are

OK...here's the challenge description...

============

OK, all, since Christmas is coming I decided a gift was in order. Sadly, I'm self-centered, so the gift is for me. ;)

I like time-travel and alternate universe stories so this month that's what we're gonna do.

Write a time-travel story or an alt universe story-and by alt universe, please don't think you are limited to the Mirror Universe of TOS and DS9-create your own if you want. BUT-if you do that-make it distinct. A TOS story with Kirk parting his hair in the other direction is BORING! Be creative!

That having been said, it's time to introduce the CHALLENGE part of the whole theme. You have to incorporate an icon or symbol of Christmas into your story in some way. It doesn't have to be physical-the spirit of giving can't be held in your hands but it is surely a symbol of Christmas! I apologize in advance to any non-Christians, but as stated, this is a gift for me;) and I grew up with the Christian holiday.

PS-If anybody re-writes the Gift Of the Magi-well, it fits the rules but, c'mon, its a cheap and easy heart-wringer. Let's put the nose to the grindstone and be creative! Good luck, everyone! And Merry Xmas!:techman:

2. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

I voted for Captives' Ransom and Qristmas. The first for the warmth and good-natured spirit; the second for the very ambivalence of it. Excellent work to both authors.

3. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Captive's Ransom, and Qristmas. I have a strict policy about not voting for my own, otherwise it would have been close between Qristmas and A Q's Christmas Carol

4. USS Fardell

USS Fardell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I voted for Captive's Ransom and As We Are.

Both are quite interesting (And I don't want to vote for my own either)

5. SLWalker

::bows:: Thank you.

6. Nerys Ghemor

First slot went to "Son of Ham."

It's not often that I see such a wonderful portrayal of an ancient person, actually giving them some credit to be intelligent and compassionate in the face of strange circumstances, even if not technologically-savvy. I was reminded of Father Dietrich in a book I recently read, called Eifelheim, by Michael Flynn, which I loved for similar reasons. And the way it was told...very unusual, mind-catching, heart-stirring language. It's not your everyday prose, but that's exactly why I loved it.

The other slot...MAN, that was tough. "Qristmas," "As We Are," and "When Gods Smile" all captured my attention and made a strong argument for getting that other vote.

But in the end, I gave it to "When Gods Smile." I was very glad to see Owens' heart melt--both when it came to the "big" things like the survival of a civilization...and the "small" ones too, like the traditions that some in his crew valued even if they didn't mean so much to him personally until that incident.

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

fardell and cejay.

scorpio shouldn't have been allowed 2 entries.

8. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I agree...I don't believe in competitions such as these. Thats why I write about whacko flies and crews being turned upside down with or with out underwear on....

These were for just entertainment value and a good holiday laugh..

Rob

9. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

As far as I'm concerned, so long as he's writing them in the month he can enter as many times as he likes. It's the stories that get judged.

I think this is the most difficult challenge to pick two best stories from. It's actually a good thing that captcalhoun forgot the time-travel/alt universe aspect of the challenge because that takes his story out of the running, it would have been up for a vote otherwise and I'm having enough trouble as it is!

Captive's Ransom was always going to get first vote. I still can't properly articulate why I like it so much, but I do (and I'm giving up trying to put into words what I want to say.)

Second vote is between Q's Christmas Carol, Qristmas and Son of Ham.

I've decided on Qristmas (although I should knock it from the running entirely for that awful title :p ) - I love the idea that Picard now has a memory of a happier life for his brother and family.

10. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I voted for Nerys. On first reading I didn't like it. Seemed brooding or heavy for Christmas but it was wonderfully written so that stuck with me.

Voted for TimmyW1 because the language was striking and different and the whole thing wonderfully thought provoking. So kudos for that.

Others were close calls too. Robert's We are the World made me laugh if not quite fitting the challenge. Similarly CaptCalhoun's so early on in the challenge/month actually helped to put me in the Christmas mood. Season for friends and families and just the sense of optimism that pervaded it even though us readers {or I did anyhew} had an inkling that something bad is around the corner.

Of course I think I might otherwise have put my vote to CeJay's because of the way Owens comes round in the end but manages to keep his 'professional' facade by staging the tactical firing accident. Heh heh.

But Nerys and TimmyW1 get my votes for their writing styles. Well done all and Happy New Year! :beer:

11. Nerys Ghemor

I fully understand your reaction...and in some ways that was my intent, and the same thing Sam encounters. I think the other side of Christmas--the Advent--has really dropped out of popular consciousness. We all know how the story ends, but for those who were living it, they didn't have that advantage.

Remembering what that was like...it really makes the joy, when it does come, all the much sweeter in the end. You can bet that when they get to the gifts-under-the-tree stage, Sam and Hirhul are both going to have a full sense of that fact.

I took a major risk and I definitely expected to get at least one reaction like yours; I knew it was going to jolt people a bit.

But in some ways...that's exactly what I set out to do and I am at least glad to know it did so.

12. Kaziarl

*does a happy dance* I got a vote!!

13. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I never even intended to enter-it was s'posed to be a gift FOR me!;)

Thanks, Nerys, for setting up the poll-RL got the better of me for a while. That said-thanks for all of the wonderful presents!!

I voted for 2-but there where 2 others that really grabbed me equally. CeJay and SL got my votes-but Tim and Nerys were right there. And Kaz and Fardell-wonderful stories! Everybody, for various reasons, had great stuff. I just felt the 2 I picked came closest to what I had in mind(although Kaz may have hit the spirit-no pun intended-of the theme best)-anyway, it was a lot of fun to read everybody's work. Gracias y Feliz Annos Nuevo!

14. SLWalker

^ Thank you!

15. Kaziarl

^^ Thanks Mistral

16. Mistral

Its Jan 5-and Nerys seems to be our winner! Congratulations! Everybody-good job!

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I thought the poll didn't end till tomorrow??

18. Mistral

Maybe I missed something. However-barring a surprise surge of votes, Nerys seems to have it. IMO.

19. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Nerys did set it up to finish tomorrow evening. But it's your challenge :)

20. Kaziarl

I've got the day after as far as I know. It's the 5th right now and it ends the 7th. But Mistral is right, it looks like Nerys is the winner.