What do you think Star Trek will do for its 50th anniversary?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Overlord, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Sketcher

Sketcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm hoping we get a special movie where we see Chris Pine team up with Scott Bakula and a previously unknown Enterprise captain. ;)

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, if they go with Captain April who is depicted in the Countdown to Darkness comic as a renegade captain who is eventually stripped of his rank, it would fit the analogy perfectly.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

ShatKirk and PineKirk team up with MirrorKirk.

4. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say Scott Bakula would count as an unknown Enterprise captain. ;)

5. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

A press conference in which Orci complains about not being able to make money from toys, an animated series, and cocktail napkins emblazoned with the Star Trek logo because the people at CBS are MEAN!

That is to say, we'll get a new movie.

6. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

They'll release some overpriced pewter collection and call it a day.

7. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Please a new series !!!!

8. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be happy with just a set of those Kelvin salt and pepper shakers.

9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the 50th Anniversary, they'll be puttin' on the Ritz ...

10. vulcan redshirt

vulcan redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Since Prime Verse is most likely dead in the eyes of the execs, anything new relating to any of the TV series (apart from a documentary) is highly unlikely. If I was going to put money on it, I'd say the next movie, a documentary with a small amount of unreleased material and some actor interviews and a load of re-runs of classic episodes from all the series.

A feature-length TV special pulling in members from all 5 series would require cheesy time-travel or holodeck rubbish. Doctor Who can pull that off, because time travel is the whole premise of that show.

It would be possible to do a '20 years later' thing with TNG, DS9 and VOY crews, a bit like B5 'Sleeping in Light' but I doubt it would happen. Doesn't mean we cant fan'fic it though ;)

11. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

Well, if they could strike a deal with the BBC, then we'd have no problem with such a premise.

12. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Minisodes featuring previous series characters. Online at the Star Trek.com site or eventually part of the extras line-up, when the Blu ray/DVD of Abramsverse Movie III is released. Little vignettes that are linked to the next film, even if separated by a universe that's just the theme. Same featured enemy or circumstance they have in common which actually hasn't changed. Not essential to the plot or anything. But like TNG Countdown or Khan comics, you get more out of the end product if and when you discover the extra. An onscreen prequel or whatever, that delves deeper into the mythology in those 5 or 10 minutes, than they manage to do in two hours at the cinema.

13. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Assuming by 50th anniversary you mean when Season 1 TOS started in 1966, and not the original pilot, here is what I think will ACTUALLY happen:

1. Star Trek 3 or 13, whatever it is considered.
    2. As said before, re-release of previous material on blu ray with the 50th anniversary sticker slapped on
    3. Some huge Las Vegas convention with a lot of Trek actors for sure, possibly other large cities, too.
    4. As said before, STOGAM\Renegades people produce another online film that includes some lesser TOS actors, and some Trek actors from other series willing to participate
    5. a lot of fan films released online

What I would like to see:
    1. and Enterprise miniseries or movie, online (IE Netflix) to give it a more proper send off, that includes the Earth Romulan war. (Won't happen, though)

14. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

My idea:

Star Trek XIII involves an experiment with technology inspired by sensor readings from Nero's ship, and Spock Prime is actually on board assisting, with a hidden agenda to use the opportunity to take his Vulcan refugees to *his* Vulcan. A problem with the temporal equipment results in a recreation of some similar events to those of the TOS episode "The Deadly Years" with appearances from Shatner, Takei, Koenig, and Nichols. Ultimately, they reverse the effect and succeed in opening a path to Primeverse, that for some reason comes out of the wormhole at Bajor, so we actually get to see the new crew meet some of the crew from TNG/DS9/VOY (and possibly engage in some minor conflict with them before convincing them "transporting refugees to Vulcan" isn't some Romulan or Typhon Pact subterfuge - they've heard that one before ;) ) before returning to their own universe and further adventures.

15. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Flawless. Victory.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A little song. A little dance. A little seltzer down your pants.

17. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

In an ideal world? They would use such a momentous date to launch a new series on September 8, 2016. Because that would just be damn sweet!

They would also do limited theatrical re-releases of all of the previous feature films (similar scale to how they've done the TNG blu-ray revamp releases in theaters).

They would of course have Star Trek 13 come out that May.

A truly well produced documentary-level 2-hour special with interviews not only of all the actors but with historical types and such.

Some sort of big party/awards show type thing like they did for the 30th.

Now what do I really expect?

Trek 13.

I'd like to at least have a limited theatrical release of the TOS trilogy of original films (TWOK, TSFS, TVH) where they do each film one a month, like they've done special events for the TNG blu-ray.

Some sort of TV special, aired on a major network -- CBS does own most of Trek now, so it should likely be them.

18. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They'll release a blu-ray of JJ Abrams sitting in a chair and watching all of the Doctor Who 50th specials, including the Five(ish) Doctors. He'll chuckle to himself and occasionally say, "Hey, we should've done something for Star Trek!"

19. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

You guys are a bunch of bloody cynics, you know that?

20. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

As vulcan redshirt wrote, the prime universe is dead and gone, and I say let it rest in peace. Do a documentary, a retrospective, repackage and remaster all 700+ hours of the episodes and movies, but lets leave it as we remember it and just say thanks to Gene for giving us something that we have all enjoyed so much.