Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I have so many damned axes, pickaxes, swords, and other gear that I made, used once, and then got a better material to make them out of. I created an artificial river to dump all my trash in because I was tired of adding space to my storage room.

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I made a shovel to shovel snow and get snowballs, but realistically, how often am I going to need snowballs? Other than also shoveling dirt, it doesn't really have all that many uses for it since getting dirt is easy with your fists. Tools start to become redundant. I'm going to have to start building a toolshed for all my tools :lol:

3. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

Is it that you have lots of the same kind of tool, or many different kinds?

What if there were an option to merge tools of the same kind together, to create a single long life version of it?

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could go for an option to recycle tools back to their component parts.

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then don't carry them around all the time. When I'm running low on wood, I make a stone axe, head out into the forest and get all the wood I can until the axe runs out (which is around two full stacks). I'll do the same thing with shears.

The only tools I bring everywhere with me are two stone pickaxes and two stone shovels, since I use them both so often. Everything else I make one of and store it in a chest when I don't need it.

When you're making a small igloo, you need a lot of snowballs. ;)

You mean, like a diamond tool? ;)

6. Jadzia

Isn't a diamond tool one that mines hard materials more quickly?

I mean for the merged tool to perform the same as it's components, but lasts longer. eg 9 iron picks makes a super iron pick, that performs exactly like a normal iron pick, but lasts 9 times longer.

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

There are five versions of every tool:

Wood
    Stone
    Iron
    Gold
    Diamond

(Gold tools are pretty damn worthless, though.)

The main difference between them is how long they last. Wood tools don't last very long at all, while Diamond tools have over 1000 uses before they crap out. The other difference is what they can mine. Wood tools can't mine very much at all, whereas Diamond tools can mine anything, and are in fact the only way to mine obsidian. There is a speed difference between how quickly the tools break blocks but I wouldn't say it's incredibly significant. Still takes a diamond pickax almost 20 seconds to break an obsidian block, but it's your only option.

The most efficient tools are stone tools, in terms of the ubiquity of their materials, how long they last, and what they can mine. Iron tools are also a necessity to mine redstone, gold, and diamonds, but since iron is relatively rare you don't want to use iron tools for everything, just what's necessary.

8. Owain Taggart

Jadzia, I have a feeling you'd love the game, and I'm sure Robert would enjoy having you on his server :)

9. Jadzia

Would the transatlantic lag not be an issue? I ping well to mainland europe, but I have no idea what happens further afield.

I might enjoy minecraft because I do enjoy creating things. But I've never devoted much time to playing games, as it's rare that I find lasting pleasure in one.

To indulge my creativity, what I find most relaxing and rewarding is spending time exploring my own ideas, which is why I enjoy programming, cooking, decorating, designing things, and making things. :)

For example, (coincidentally) tonight I made a block world of my own, because there are a couple of ideas I want to explore with hidden surface culling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Robert Maxwell

Ping gorzek.com and see how bad it is. If the latency isn't too high it should be fine. :)

11. Jadzia

12. Robert Maxwell

That's not terrible. I get 80ms here.

13. Owain Taggart

Yeah, we have people from all over anyway. It's usually not much of an issue. I think I even have higher ping, but there's not much lag. Also part of the beauty of the game, at least in multiplayer is that you can play as little as you want and still see changes happening :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  14. TheGodBen

I get a ping around 145-150 and while there's a little lag on the server, it's not much and it's certainly not game-breaking. I've been meaning to go back to the server as I barely built anything there. I now have an interesting idea of something to build there, but there's a bunch of things I want to get sorted on my singleplayer world first.

All of which you can do in Minecraft. ;) Why, just yesterday I baked a cake. Okay, I crafted a cake. I'm currently working with redstone wires to make all my double doors work, which is something I've been meaning to do for a long time. My problem is that I want to keep all the wires hidden and that causes constraints if there are other rooms nearby, which is kinda like a 3D puzzle that I have to solve.

15. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, it'd be nice if you came back, Ben. I like that penthouse you set up and I'd like to see more from you. :) The town has been built up a lot since you last appeared. Plus, monsters are now active.

16. Owain Taggart

Yep, in fact, we're just starting to build a wall around the city to try and keep the monsters out.

17. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If nobody minds, I'm going to build a drawbridge from the shore behind Smooth's mansion over to one of the islands.

Ooooh, found another dungeon tonight and scored my first record.

18. Owain Taggart

Well, better wait until I finish my perimeter to see where it goes first.

19. TheGodBen

Minecraft is coming to Xbox 360 with Kinect support. Building things with a controller seems clunky enough, how the hell are you supposed to control it with Kinect? :wtf:

20. Owain Taggart

Does that mean you literally get to hug creepers now? :lol: