House a flop in the UK?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob The Skutter, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Maybe they should just have him redub his lines with his accent?

3. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Fixeded. :D

4. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

lucky lucky lucky luck luck luck cluck cluck cluck

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Next year House will get a stroke that will leave him with an unexplained British accent

It's been known to happen to some people

6. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I can't say I'd noticed it 'flopping', but I guess it isn't nearly as much of a hit as it was in the US. But then, neither is ER, and that's still more than successful enough for British TV. Especially given that it's on Five, a channel that's still a myth in parts of the south west; I guess it depends on your definition of success.

7. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm British and I love House - I know quite a few British people who do too... unfortunately for Five - no-one I know actually watches it on tv.

8. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was doing fairly well.

Still waiting for Season 5 to start here though.

9. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

According to the barb site it's usually fairly high (like top 5)on Five's weekly chart, so I'd think it is.
    It won't be far off, it's usually in the winter/spring season, round about feb/march.

10. John Clark

Cool.- Thanks, I'll keep an eye out:)

11. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suppose he considers it a flop because it was picked up by Five instead of a real TV channel.

12. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

I don't watch House (my mom loves it, I've never bothered with it) but I guarantee I'd be sitting in front of the TV machine if Rowan Atkinson were scheduled in a guest role.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's much easier for Americans to detect problems with an American accent than it is for foreigners. And yeah, Hugh Laurie can't really pull off the accent, he growls to cover it up.

14. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

True enough, but our media is so saturated with genuine American accents that we've become pretty adept at spotting the slip ups in a fake one too.

What, are you telling me you watched Sub Rosa and thought "ah yes, those are genuine Scots alright!". :wtf:

Besides, I think his point is that the British audience are much more familiar with him so we're deliberately looking out for slip ups. To be honest though I think he's talking shite.

15. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I have the same problem when American TV tries to imitate the French accent. It happened for the last time in an episode of Knight Rider when KITT spoke French. Goodl Lord it was horrible, it made me cringe! :wtf:

16. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Same here, kinda like when he said British don't like that he's successful, and that's why he's not getting offered any British roles any more... I'd think it's far more likely they think he's successful and won't accept a little, low paying British TV role, compared to his multi-million contract for a show that is huge internationally.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I have this dream of an off-concept House episode. There's an international conference of diagnosticians in the UK, and House goes to London. He doesn't want to, he tells Cuddy that it's beneath him, but he finally bucks up and goes.

And he runs into a group of snobbish British diagnosticians, portrayed by Atkinson, Emma Thompson, Tony Robinson, Miranda Richardson, and possibly even Stephen Fry. (Though, honestly, I'd love to see Stephen Fry at a POTW.) And, naturally, House doesn't get along with these other doctors at all.

I don't know what the plot is. I haven't gotten that far yet. I just know the stunt casting. :)

18. John Clark

That could be good (along with the rest of the casting).

I know Stephen Fry has appeared in roles in US TV before (Bones for one) so with any luck, that might just happen.

19. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Got it. It doesn't need a plot. Why?

Because it would be the greatest Comic Relief Special ever made. BBC, give a Fox a call NOW. Cost is no concern because it not just entertain, it will help the poor. Win-win-win.