Farscape First time watch thread....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Distorted Humor, Jun 16, 2011.

1. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you like season 1 this much already then you will be amazed at seasons 2 and 3.

2. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, Warren Ellis apparently commented at some point that Farscape was "...One American's descent into Australia's S&M scene".

Which I can't really argue with. There's a definite undercurrent of kink in this series, and it only gets worse/better from here.

3. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, man! If you're liking Farscape now, you're going to LOVE it by the time you finish it. And yeah, Claudia Black is sex on legs ...

4. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed, I have a tendicy to like or really dislike SF shows. For example, I lasted all of 15 mins on Lexx before saying "I am not going to waste my time on this" while Farscape had me hooked on in the first 15, kinda like DS9 or b5 did.

Ok good, Its not me being dirty minded, and others have seen it. I might be Mormon, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a little kink in life :devil:

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That's awesome. Most people have a rough time with season 1.

You are going to be amazed by this show by the time you get to the end of the season.

6. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I've never understood that. I actually prefer the simplicity of season one compared to what came later. Of course, that's not to say the later stuff is bad, I just prefer the early episodes which focuses entirely on Moya and it's small crew.

Of course, my favorite episodes of the various Star Treks are the so-called "bottle shows" that most fans seem to hate.

7. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also really like season one. It's basically the year that Farscape is 'and how do things go completely weird this week?' show. Doing crazy random weirdness is a strong point for Farscape, and the show starts strong. There's a couple of weak episodes, sure, but the year overall is a fun one.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I love Season 1 myself, but I didn't start the show with it. I started watching it when Season 2 was on the air, so by the time I went back to Season 1, I had already had the chance to get to know the characters.

9. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Season 1 is a great introduction to the crew and to the universe. We get to know everyone and it's a great set up for Season 2, in which things get a little more interesting and a little more heated. In Season 3, things get weird and in Season 4, things get EPIC.

I recently got a friend hooked on Farscape - he said something along the lines of "This is weird! This is bizarre and strange and ridiculous! I LOVE IT!"

10. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed, I think that is how to best describe it, weird bizarre at times, and most of the time wonderful.

Watched another Disk

"Back and Back and Back to the Future" - the guest stars where...horrifically bad actors under makeup. Not sure if it was the actors or the direction, but it was almost silly bad. Also ranks high in the cheep kink thrills. The actual plot line is not bad, and there is a little mistory thrown in as D'argo<sp> crime to him is much more serious then he lets on. Also its fun to see the crew die a couple of times. the plot saved this from being a total stinker.

"Thank God It's Friday, Again" - this is what I would call "A standard farscape episode" after all, the issue at the end is solved by explosive piss. I enjoyed the weirdness/wonky-ness of it. Also the worm bits where giving it a appoperate horror aspect of it. Guess we will learn later why the peacekeepers look human? (taken from the earth and bred to be super-worriers? )

"PK Tech Girl" - The guest star is cute, and the aliens are men in rubber suits that spew fire. I liked the development of Aeryn and Rygel.

"That Old Black Magic" -ok, I thought this epsiode was utter and total waste. when your doing weird, sometimes your going to miss, badly. this one misses so badly It is almost decent. It does however have kinda of a buck rogers or insert campy show feel to it.

Now I am going off to play some Mass effect for the first time.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

In S1, Farscape seems too much like other space opera series until towards the end of the season, just before Scorpy comes on board. After that, it has much more of its own identity.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

"D'Argo" is spelled correctly. "Mystery," not so much. :p

13. Bonzo the Fifth

Yeah... 'Back and Back...' I have similar feelings about. The acting in that by the guest actress was simply horrible, and the gesticulating, horribly telegraphed 'special move' was just... laughable. Which is too bad, because the plot and main character acting really isn't bad, in fact, it's pretty good for Season 1, but that actress....

'Thank God it's Friday...' is pretty standard. One or more characters get brainwashed, everyone else's gotta sort it out. It's probably the most overused plot in the series, honestly, but typically, they manage to find some kind of spin on it that keeps it from getting boring (like exploding urine, Zhann playing grabass with Crichton at night, etc.), lol.

'PK Tech Girl' is great in that it's one of the first episodes where you really get to see the Crichton/Aeryn dynamic up close since the premier, and you get to see that the writers are not going to make this road easy for either of them... It's also one of the first episodes with some continuity carryover, with elements that appear in later episodes:
    The Zelbinion, the shield generator, Gilina, the Sheyang, etc.

'That Old Black Magic'. yeah, the Maldis episodes are more or less universally reviled. As weird as Farscape gets at times, the Maldis stuff is, to quote Crichton: '[M]agical mystery crap'. Not that there isn't pseudo magical weirdness that happens all throughout the Uncharted Territories, but Maldis took it a step too far by not even having a Science Fictional pretense for his powers, it was just phantasmagoria, which was just one liberty too many for this setting. Fortunately, there are only two of these episodes, and they're never heard from again.

14. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the mask in "Back to Back...", and how Crichton keeps smashing it.

The guest stars, though. That woman seems zonked out of the entire show, no idea what's up with that.

"That Old Black Magic" is, if nothing else, a closer clook at Bialar Crais... and it may be nothing else.

15. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I did like Crichton's summation of Maldis when he returns, though:

D'Argo: He sucks the life force out of living beings...
    Crichton: He just plain sucks.

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Try a Babel fish ;)

I'll see your :drool::drool::drool::drool: and raise you :drool::drool::drool::drool:

17. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you watch "Black Magic" after some of the things that happen in seasons 2 and 3 you might appreciate it more. Farscape really develops its characters.

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I never thought That Old Black Magic was terrible. I mean, it wasn't great, for sure. There are far far worse episodes of the show, though. It's really only our second look or so at Crais, so it has that going for it. His appearances seemed rather rare in the first season for him being the main antagonist.

19. Bonzo the Fifth

No, the insight into Crais' character is rather interesting, especially as it's really one of the first indications that you see of the Sebacean race being distinct from the Peacekeeper organization and that the people are not exactly supportive of said organization.... a theme that occurs a few times over the course of the series.

My main problem with the episode is Maldis himself. I feel like he just doesn't work for this kind of series. It was an attempt to try and give Zhaan a more personal villain, but one that I don't think really ended up working out in the end, especially when 'Rhapsody in Blue' does a much better job of giving Zhaan a personal enmity...

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think Maldis is a great character for the series. He just didn't make sense as Zhaan's "nemesis."