The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jul 4, 2008.

1. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Werent you enquiring about the torture in the film? You made a specific statement that it didnt work on the insnae guy. It did. He cracked. The fact that it turned out he didnt have anything relevant is neither here nor there in relation to the fact that the torture worked on him.

2. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw it in the opening week was impressed, live up to its hype so to speak.

Ledger was fantastic, I remember a couple of years ago hearing of his casting and thought it odd, but alas, the casting may be odd and unexpected but it always pays off and this is a prime example.

And I like the fact that he wasn’t overplayed as a clown like Jack did in 89. He wasn’t an over the top clown in a purple suit cracking jokes and doing tricks, the pencil by the way was excellent.

Anyway, he was played as a screwed psycho who self mutilated himself, wore makeup and cracked a few jokes here and there, not OTT at all, which was what I was hoping for, and I knew with Nolan that it wouldn’t be

Ledgers Joker is fantastic, a true mark of an actor completely absorbing himself into the part, its rare ability where you actually believe that is the person, you stop thinking 'that’s an actor in makeup acting' ala Jack Nicholson, you actually believe it is the character. An actor of such calibre can be lined up against Dustin Hoffman, Maggie Smith, Johnny Depp, Gene Hackman, Meryl Streep etc.

And Harvey Dent wasn’t over played as the Two/Face to be either, granted we didn’t see much of his Two/Face character in this movie but he was a nice guy and still might be in the next but a nice guy who can you trust but don’t want to get the wrong side of, I also like the fact that he literally became his own nickname after being given it to him as he was a two faced law student or something, I forget. The burns and the fact he wore his half burnt suit which becomes his Half and Half ident to go and a revenge rampage was just twisted. Going out for revenge in the clothes you were almost incinerated in I guess makes it feel better. Which was another good departure; he was burnt into that condition, no cliché comic book acid.

And the way Rachel was killed, alone and frightened because The Joker sent Batman and Gordon to the opposite of who they believed they were going after. IT wasn’t the age old, 'She’s not dead in the end, she played dead to fool The Joker' along with gordon type thing. She was dead, just dead. Just like Wash in Serenity, Dead. No returns. Excellently handled.

The Batpod, is it a slight nod to Batman Returns where the Batmobile, sorry, The Tumbler has an emergency escape pod thing? Yeah, I know, it’s a military vehicle so it would have an escape pod but still, you got what I meant.

And the best part, Gotham City was the best character of the whole lot. Nolan gave this perfect balance of characters and events happening that it played out as a kind of factual documentary splice together with clips from witnesses, it was genius. The fact that nothing really went to The Jokers plan, such as the boats and the hospital bombs was great, no ones perfect especially a twisted psycho.

By the way, ive heard that scene where The Joker cant detonate the last bomb was adlibbed, if it is true and it was a glitch in the pyrotechnics, Ledger was a perfect actor to use that to his advantage and actually play it out as if it was a genuine mistake in the story and try to figure out where the last explosion is by shaking and tapping the remote. And the fact as it went off; he kind of jumped a little and carried on walking in character. Ive read online reports it was adlibbed, but if it is true and it’s on the DVD release, that’s the best adlibbing ive seen in a while.

Nolan’s Batmans are so grounded. Yeah, they’re comic movies but they’re grounded in a way that makes it kind of believable, no comic acid, no nipples on the batsuits (Shumacher you twat), no sidekicks, no vehicles that look like Times Square etc etc.

And, we didnt see the Jokers final fate, all we saw was a swat team approach to him hanging. Will he go to Arkham along with the rest of them?

A mate asked me if maybe Nolan filmed an ending but change his mind because of Heaths death? To that i just said that hes the type of director not to alter a film becasue of this, he will keep his vision as complete as possible despite what happened, hes no wimpy dorector.

Besides, do we have footage filmed for the sequel that we dont know about that will be used in opening or part of the next movie or is that it.

Or is Nolan using our best ever feature as movie fans, our imaginations to work out the fate of The Joker.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Internal affairs. AKA the rat squad, cops who go after cops.

4. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course, unless you're one of those folks who thinks that "all cops are inherently good guys and should never be questioned under any circumstances" (and I'm not one of those people!), "Internal Affairs" sections are really very much "good guys," not "rats." Any cop who calls IA "rats" isn't someone I want policing MY neighborhood!

5. Rally_man

Rally_man Captain Captain

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

*impatiently waits for Flukie's take on "A Night at the Roxbury" and The Dark Knight* :D

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Nice work.

:guffaw:

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Wow.

It's like a wacky teen sex-comedy staring the characters from The Dark Knight!

9. ORANGE MOCHA FRAP-PA-CHIINNOOO!!!!

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

You'll recall that the GCPD was very corrupt in BB, and it was important for Gordon to emphasize that he wasn't a rat, even when he didn't approve of the things that he saw. One gets the impression that he wouldn't have lasted long if he'd done otherwise.

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Haha...what's that originally from?

12. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone know if there are any "midrange" Dark Knight figures? I've seen some low end ones that are obviously primary designed for kids, and some high end ones for $100-180 (which is a little out of my price range). Anyone know if there is anything inbetween? Something like NECA quality and price?

13. Rally_man

Rally_man Captain Captain

Sadly, I can't take credit for it. It was posted on another site if frequent, but knew you guys would get a kick out of it! ;)

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's very well done. I laught at it everytime I see it. Perfectly done.

They need to do the whole scene, I've got "Wake Me Up" running in my head now.

15. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't Uwe Boll's "Far Cry" coming out soon? That alone should derail anymore money Batman would make. :lol:

17. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

There is the Dark Knight Movie Masters line which is a step up from the Kid's line, but then again nowhere near the quality of the more expensive stuff from Hot Toys (which are quite frankly some of if not the best Batman collectibles ever made.) But good luck finding them at all. They've been absent from the pegs ever since they landed (a combination of recalls and the hype over Ledger's death)

Unfortunately, Mattel holds almost exclusive rights to all DC properties in the US. (Hot Toys is an Asian company, which is why they can make their Dark Knight figures, but at $150-$200 a pop, they not very affordable) Matell has never really been a collector friendly company (though the DC Universe line is quite good.) The Dark Knight line from them is almost exclusively aimed a kids. The Movie Masters are your best shot for decent Dark Knight figures, but they're not even near the quality of the DC Universe of Marvel Legends lines (if you're familiar with either of those)

18. JacksonArcher

Yes, the Movie Masters line have been very difficult to find for a reasonable price. However if you look you can find some online retailers selling them for around $20 or so.

19. JacksonArcher

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008