Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Borg451, Jul 3, 2008.

?

What did you think?

1. 1 - V. Poor shouldnt have made this movie.

2.3%
  2. 2 - Pretty Poor

4.1%
  3. 3 - Meh.. okay. definitely worth a download..

22.2%
  4. 4 - V. Good.

60.8%
  5. 5 - Best Stargate ever.

10.5%
  1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    IMDB says it was indeed the same guy from Moebius, although IIRC he had the head mask on the entire time. It's obviously not Jay Davidson from the Stargate movie.

2. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's also pretty "blink and you'll miss it". He doesn't say anything, and you hardly get a good look at the guy anyway. I had to guess it was Ra from bits of dialogue and a vague recollection of his costume. Otherwise it could have been practically anyone.

3. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Yeah. When they mentioned Ra, I was kind of hoping for a cameo, and then I was trying to remember who all the system lords were, and the dude in the dress stymied me. Once I saw the credits, I rewound and watched the scene again, paying closer attention to him.

It would've been nice if they could've cast a guy who was a bit prettier, to make a better match for the original. Maybe Ba'al has been holding back Ra's sarc privileges. He certainly seems to have reduced his wardrobe.

4. drasche

drasche Captain Captain

On the overall, I think it was better than Ark of Truth. Voted Above average.

The timeline shift was badly done. They could have changed all at once while they were in the wormhole, returning to Earth. They could have invented an excuse for Mitchell, Carter and Jackson to go first (or last). We would have seen Baal's execution in the beginning, O'Neill would buy lunch, Vala would have stayed to help Baal's host, and we would have had great moments between two Jack O'Neill! :D I can only assume Richard Dean Anderson wasn't available enough to do something like that.

* Claudia Black is definitely the hottest woman with Goa'uld outfit :drool:
    * Tapping in civil outfit brings Moebius memories back (I liked Moebius).
    * Great to see all the old characters again, systems lords, including good old Apophis.
    * saddened by Hammond's short appearance :(
    * Nice picture in Cam's locker :lol: (I'm guessing that in the end, he knows what really happened)

And finally, Baal's face when he sees Mitchell in the cargo hold, very well done! Priceless!:guffaw:

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe Ra took a new host.

6. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's probably a result of being a servant to Ba'al, now. Would you want one of your underlings still going around acting like he's the king of the gods?

7. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

Are you serious? AOT looked better in sharpness than Continuum. AOT was shot on film. Real film. That is why it looks better. Most people dont realize that film and movies shown on the big screen are much higher resolution than even Blue-Ray. I was suprised how crappy and fuzzy the quality of the picture looked at times. AOT looked visually much crisper IMO

8. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm watching the making of thing and Shanks is such a diva. :lol:

9. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Alternate universe rule No 1(tm) would preclude Mitchell-mark 1 from telling Mitchell-version 2 (the one we've known all along) anything about the gate, or history having once been changed, at least, until after Ba'al's demise.

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

So wait which Mitchell is Moya-Mitchell and which is Talyn-Mitchell? :guffaw:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  11. cylkoth

^^The one Vala keeps her eyes on.... :D

12. drasche

drasche Captain Captain

You're right, as much as I love time travel and alternate universes, I forgot about that aspect.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are there any young symbiotes still being born? They just need to find one that would be willing to live the Tok'ra lifestyle and suddenly they're not dying anymore...or a queen-in-hiding...really the Tok'ra could be revived as a species for future plotlines without any logic issues.

14. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

That is correct. In the first movie, it was Jaye Davidson. In Continuum, it was Jay Williams.

Yes. Though it wasn't the least bit neccesary to get the same guy, since we never saw his face in Moebius.

15. flux_29

flux_29 Commodore Commodore

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Finally saw it last night. It was exactly what I expected: big, dumb, illogical fun.

Yes, the time travel mechanism where people disappeared at different times was incomprehensible and entirely a device of lazy writing.

Yes, it's a great coincidence that O'niell is the one to discover SG-1 in the arctic, and surprising (ridiculous) that they manage to use 80 year old gear to survive the cold, but the arctic long-shots and the submarine coming through the ice were great set pieces (none of which required the cast to be there--stand ins would have done the job, and probably saved money to be spent elsewhere).

And I had a hard time figuring how none of the system lords seemed to know what Earth was nor what value it had, but all still carried the identities of Earth deities.

All the cameos (or supporting roles) from the many, many cast members seen previously on the show were great. And, by my count, O'niell had 25 minutes of screen time (although his early death was badly staged), not 10 minutes. His performance (probably due to the silly writing) in the first scene was a little off, though. I guess when the writers phone it in, RDA can't help but do the same.

Above average. Far, far better than Ark of Truth.

17. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My guess is that after the first two gates went offline (the Antarctic gate and Ra's gate) they stopped caring about Earth and started ignoring it. By most accounts, had they been paying attention to Earth, it would have never gotten that advanced.

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Ra's gate was still active thousands of years ago the only thing Baal did was to prevent the creation of the SGC and SG1 the System Lords still had been able to come to earth for many thousands of years before that.

19. cylkoth

IIRC the Antarctic gate should've been put there by the Ancients (or were there frozen Jaffa found by Carter and O'Neill when they were trapped there?) , so only the Giza gate was used by the Gouald. As Ba'al said, Earth had largely been forgotten by them, but that line, does stretch things a bit.

20. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But if you recall from season one's "Solitudes", O'Neill and Carter found a jaffa frozen at the Antarctic gate. If I recall correctly, it was also mentioned somewhere that they were using the Antarctic gate and then lost it, so Ra eventually returned and brought his own gate from somewhere else.