Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Durek

Durek Commander Red Shirt

KRAD, I was just going to ask you who you pictured as B'Oraq. So I looked up both actresses you mentioned because I forgot who they were. Leslie Hendrix is perfect, considering she played an M.E. on the original Law & Order. However.....

Allison Janney looks beautiful as B'Oraq. I picture how good she'd look with Klag when they become parmackai (sp?).

2. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ *chuckle* Indeed.

Most of the time when I create a character, I don't have an actor in mind. For threads like this I'll try to come up with someone. For example, I don't picture Lucy Lawless when I write Wol, but she'd still be the perfect person for the role. I got nothin' for G'joth or for Bart Faulwell (to give two other Trek examples), but I know exactly what they look like.

B'Oraq's in that category, too....

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So how close are the cover images of the SCE characters, like Faulwell for example, to what you had in mind when you created them? Same question for the modles on the DS9 R covers.

4. KRAD

Oh, the images on the covers are the characters, no question. The only exception would be the early images of Tev on Buying Time and a few other covers. The later images of Tev -- from Grand Designs forward -- are accurate.

5. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Casting Trek Lit

Soleta? Lucy Liu.

6. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, I think Jennifer Morrison from House MD could be a good Soleta, she's got the eyebrows and expressions already, all she needs is the colouring and the ears.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^And she's even done Trek now or is in the process of doing Trek.
    For anyone who isn't aware she's playing Kirk's mother.

8. KRAD

Amusingly, a better fit for Morrison would be Selar, what with her being an emotionally fucked-up doctor and all.... :lol: Of course, Selar's kinda already taken.....

9. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did think of that at first.

10. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Reading back the thread,there are some great options for the many "unseen" characters of treklit.
    For Miranda Kadohata; I was kinda picturing Thandie Newton(Brit accent comes as standard extra)
    For Leybenzon,my idea was David Morse,(can he do big & scary)
    My thought for Bart Faulwell wasDerek Jacobi.
    And seeing as this is fantasy casting.....for Vanguards saphic couple T'Prynn & Anna......Raquel Welch(in her prime) and Elle Mc Pherson.
    YIKES! I'll be in my quarters:drool::drool:

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Odd, since she's African-British, and Kadohata is Japanese-British. I'm with Keith that the actress who starred in Battlestar Galactica: Razor would be a fine choice -- well, if she were a decade or so older.

Interesting thought, but he's way too old, unless you're imagining him from the '80s, say.

12. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah,Jacobi as a younger man.I seem to remember him playing wartime British cryptographer Alan Turing in an audio production and given Faulwell's job,I made a mental connection.
    As for Kadohata's ethnicity,perhaps I missed an overt reference to it as I and many others did with DS9 character LT.Bowers.
    In the 24 th century as now,nationality and ethnicity will be fluid.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fans of the band "Lush" will recognize another good candidate for Kadohata. (Hint: The lead singer.)

14. KRAD

I assume you mean Miki Berenyi?

I can't find a good picture of her on the web, but the pictures I have found seem like she's a good possibility. I still lean toward Stephanie Jacobsen.....

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

For Mranda, what about the actress who plays Tosh in Torchwood? British Japanese, IIRC.

I usually whine when people suggest casting actors from other sci-fi shows, but TW isn't a space opera, so I can cope with her.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0605283/

16. KRAD

For some reason, I can't make Naoko Mori fit into how I wrote Kadohata. Not sure why. *shrug*

But she's a good choice too, yeah.

Put it this way, the reason why I'm harping on Stephanie Jacobsen is that I spent the entire time I was watching Battlestar Galactica: Razor boggling at how absolutely perfectly she fit my mental picture of Kadohata.

17. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

what about Maggie Q (MI:3, Die Hard 4)?

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Whereas I spent the entire time boggling at how absolutely gorgeous she was. Although I agree that she'd be a great Kadohata if she were 10-15 years older. (Maybe Miranda looks very young for her age?)

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  20. alicelouise

alicelouise Commander Red Shirt

They may have done a "sorta" casting based on a novel. In TNG's "Face of the Enemy", The Romulan Commander in that episode seems to be based Commander Ael in Diane Duane's "My Enemy, My Ally". She wasn't a cookie cutter:rommie: disposable hostile.