The Almighty Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Order Flow Chart Mark III

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by 8of5, Feb 27, 2014.

1. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hi all, I'm pleased to announce that after days of bouncing back and forth ideas and refinements, Thrawn and I have completed work on version 3 of the super handy, if increasingly huge, Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Order Flow Chart.

As well as adding all the latest releases tied into the wider continuity, we've also included a new feature to help track the various series and settings through their appearances in crossovers and cameos. Each story now has a little collection of dots with it, which indicate the series involved in any given tale.

Hope you all continue to find it useful :)

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice. This is going to be really useful now that I have to set up my new GoodReads account. I have the novelverse in it's own section, and I was trying to keep it all in chronological order, but I was having trouble remembering what went where. This will definitely help alot.

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Excellent work! I'll tell you right now that you'll eventually need to add at least two dotted lines -- one to link MU: Rise Like Lions to S31: Disavowed, and another to link Cold Equations: Silent Weapons to Disavowed. ;)

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

^ The Breen are going to get their advanced propulsion, damn it, even if they have to destroy the entire Confederacy to do it!

8of5, Thrawn, this is amazing. Excellent work! The time and effort the two of you have put into this is very impressive. :) This keeps getting better and better.

I wonder (and I know you only have so much space) - is it possible at some point to add in the Vulcan's Soul trilogy as part of the Titan backstory? It sets up much of what we're presented with in Taking Wing regarding Romulan politics. And of course Vulcan's Heart is backstory for Vulcan's Soul...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  5. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like the new dots feature guys! As always great work, and keep it up!

Don't forget about the chronological lists over at my site, JD. They should be pretty helpful to you as well. Link below.

6. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Just to be clear, at this point the "time and effort" is almost entirely 8of5. I'm mostly just proofreading!

It's definitely way better than I'd have ever done. I love the dots.

7. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I've not yet read No Time Like the Past. Does it belong in this chart? Also, Absent Enemies should no longer be marked as to be released as it is released.

The new chart is very good! Wonderful job!

8. Thrawn

We decided, rather than having to update every month with every new release, that instead of marking "upcoming" we'd mark "2014 releases" instead. If we don't update this for three months, the "upcoming" stars on three books would be wrong, but the "2014 releases" stars would still be accurate.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Such a fantastic resource. The original flow chart (plus some advice from Thrawn) really helped me put together my (mostly) chronological reading order a year or two ago. Of course I still haven't entirely caught up on everything I want to get caught up on, but eventually I'll get there. :D

10. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Bloody Brilliant! I use this all the time and send people too it constantly!

11. Thrawn

It's nice to see so much positive feedback. I feel like TrekLit is sort of intimidating to get into these days, and I hope this helps. I worry sometimes that the chart itself looks too complicated, but at least well-explained complexity is better than mysterious complexity.

12. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

The chart is awesome, you guys did a great job!

13. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This chart will be great to have for me. I just started reading TNG: Death in Winter the other night, with the plan to read all of the post-Nemesis stuff in chronological order. this will be a huge assist.

14. Enterpriserules

Buckle up :bolian:

15. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

No Time Like the Past belongs in the Crossover section since it does feature Voyager.

As long as the chart is being updated to correct this oversight, the released books can also be marked as released.

16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for updating the booklist its very handy to find out where different books are tied into earlier stories in the different Star trek book series.

17. Enterpriserules

Wish there was a good paper size to print this on

18. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks all, glad you all like and find it useful :)

Oh come now, you had lots of ideas to add! Not to mention spurring me to get round to actually getting the update done!

Heck I've looked at this thing for hours and still return to it as a reference. Something like it should be printed in the back of every book! Or at least a series specific simplified version. There really don't seem to be many clues for less familiar readers as to how everything flows.

Squee. We nearly forgot the Silent Weapons link, was one of the last additions Thrawn thought to add in! I noted at the time I was hoping that plot point would continue in Disavowed. Exciting!

We're trying to contain it to things most strongly tied into the current mega-continuity. I've not read any of the Vulcan's noun books, so I'm a bit clueless on the strength of the connection there.

Not read it yet, so yet discover where it might fit, but we're trying to be quite selective - If it's not got some sort of connection to the other books it won't go on. Lots of last year's stand-alone TOS books aren't there for example, but Allegiance in Exile is, due to its DS9 connection.

What Thrawn said! As well as making it accurate without having to do an update with every new book it also helps show which series are currently ongoing. For instance if you wanted to start reading a new series, you could see there's nothing new in New Frontier coming up this year, so you might choose to continue to keep that in the to-read pile, while instead making sure you get caught up on Vanguard ready to lead you into Seekers.

Yeah it's ended up a bit square now. Give it a couple more years and it will probably have lengthened out to a nice A-number proportion.

19. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great idea! I would think the editors would want to make things more understandable for everyone. And maybe it would increase sales too.

20. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

My only quibble and that's all it is, you didn't use any Trek fonts ;)