Repurposing An Original XBOX

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by acappellasaurus, Feb 18, 2013.

1. acappellasaurus

acappellasaurus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Someone recently gave me an original XBOX. I figured I could use it as a repurposed media center of some kind, as it plays DVDs and music. In addition to that, I am wondering...I've heard of the process of modding out older hardware like this, in order to play emulated games. I have young children, and it would be cool to set them up with some old Mario games and such. I am also curious if it is possible to swap out the internal dvd playback drive with a blu-ray player, since we've got a lot of those types of movies.

Any gamer techies have some knowledge or insight into this?

2. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Umm, it's been a while, you'd probably better off checking the old xbox forum on xbox-scene. It's been a while since I messed with any of that stuff. Xbox is good for old school emulators, and Xbox Media Center (homebrew app) was fantastic for its time, but the system simply isn't powerful enough to handle HD content. Blu ray is definitely a no go on the original xbox.

The key word you are probably looking for is 'softmod'. I think it's relatively simple provided you have the correct game. And you might need to have a way of getting files onto an xbox memory card. Like I said, it's been a while. I used an actual modchip which involved some soldering work

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral