DC Comics' Star Tek (1st Series)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Steve67, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Would it kill IDW to release an Archive that wasn't done by Titan already? And I feel like something marketed as a "Best of" should have a smattering of different stories about a topic... not one six-part storyline that focuses on the title character.

2. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I think my favorite issue of this run was Diane Duane's McCoy story from issue 29 or so. IIRC, Gray Morrow did the art. It was a sort of day-in-the-life story, but tied into the whole katra issue between Spock and McCoy as well.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, to be fair, that issue wasn't by the regular art team, but by Carmine Infantino, who had never drawn a Trek comic before. And though Infantino is a comics legend, I don't think likenesses of TV/movie characters are a strength of his.

4. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

I have really enjoyed this discussion and it saddens me that my 1st Run of DC is in storage right now. Not good.

Just going by what I remember, but I recall reading the story where they must return to the planet from "The Apple" and Kirk realizes the decisions he made in his early 30s were not perhaps the best. One of the issues ends with Spock effectively telling Kirk he must live with the choices he made all those years ago. I enjoyed it very much.

5. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved that "Origin of ... " title. That's strictly a comic book convention, mainly for super heroes. You never hear about an "origin" in TV or movies.

6. Steve67

Steve67 Commander Red Shirt

Possible Spoilers for issue 8:

I read #8 last night and it was a nice finish to the story. I like most any use of the Romulans and the fact that Saavik's promised one, Xon, was on an espionage mission for the Federation was interesting. I just wish they'd follwed up more on what exactly the Romulan experiment was. I also enjoyed those Romulan soldier uniforms. In fact, this Saavik origin tale was much better than I remember it being. Clever how they have David and Saavik beam away for their ill-fated Grissom assignment at this story's end, and the blurb at the bottom of the page: "Now go and read our adaptation of STIII..."

Can't wait for Spock and the Mirror Universe Saga in issue #9. It's interesting that Spock's presence is felt so heavily in these first eight issues, yet his absence is also keenly felt, too.

7. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

i love the comic when i was a teenager! good times love dr:)

8. Steve67

Did anyone else order the Star Trek Archives Vol. 6 that reprints the "Mirror Universe" saga?

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I have it here! Mirror Spock is on the cover and the volume is called "Best of Alternate Universes".

10. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Nope, I can't afford to be that much of a completist right now. I already have three copies of that story: in the original comics, the 1991 trade paperback reprint, and the DVD ROM that came out last year. Don't really need a fourth copy that doesn't add anything new.

11. Steve67

Is it complete? I have the original DC comics, but would like to have a one-volume copy for easy access. How did they do with the new coloring?

12. Therin of Andor

Why wouldn't it be complete?

Like when DC Comics collected the storyline (in 1991), it begins with Spock recovering from Fal Tor Pan and the saga ends with Spock taking up the captaincy of the USS Surak.

IDW (2009) uses a different colouring method, which seems to involve a computerized blurring of the "tiny dots" (original grey-screened overlays) in the individual comics. Some panels work better than other. No introduction, either.

IIRC, when DC compiled their own omnibus of the same arc, they recoloured, too, but differently. Some people would recommend checking to see if you can find the DC omnibus instead, and it has a text introduction by A.C. Crispin.

13. Steve67

I guess because IDW omitted the back-up G.I. Joe story "Hot Potato" from their collected edition of that title, which was part of issue #1. Also, collecting classic TV dvds as I do, I learn to be wary of edited, syndicated prints of shows that have no reason NOT to be complete.

Thanks for the in-depth reply. :)

14. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I've always liked the MUS myself, and would actually prefer a live action version to TVH. :angel: Is there any connection between the "containment" system used by the Excalbians in their arc and a similar system and war described in the novel Spock Must Die!?

15. Steve67

Today I saw a copy of the Alternate Universes reprints of the DC Mirror Universe Saga and was disappointed in the coloring process you describe. The original comics are just fine, as DC was upgrading their paper and color stock around 1984. For those who already own the original comics, I'd say save your money. The reprints of the Marvel Trek looked even worse. In addition to the lack of introduction, there wasn't a cover gallery, either.

16. Steve67

DC's Star Trek comic ended in November 1988 but resumed in September 1989 as series two. What was the reason for this? Was it because Paramount didn't want the original characters created for series one in the comic and therefore a year was needed in order to "reboot" the comic sans the likes of Bearclaw, Bryce, and Konom? Memory Beta states that old storylines and characters were done away with or rewritten. I've not read series two but I am quite fond of series one as it is the first time Star Trek in comic form was imo truly done well.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe it was that DC's contract was up and they needed to renegotiate to extend it. Bob Greenberger's column in issue #1 alludes to a negotation that took longer than both sides wanted.

I think it's really just a coincidence that the contract negotiations happened to hit at the same time that Richard Arnold's "Reign of Error" began to be felt.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

My impression is that Arnold's dislike of the comics' continuing characters and storylines (and his dislike of Peter David, to hear Peter David tell it) was a point of contention that delayed the contract renewal.

19. Therin of Andor

No coincidence. Richard spoke at conventions about that time - at the time.

During the hiatus between TNG Seasons 1 and 2, Paramount pulled in all existing licensing contracts and did extensive renegotiations to better incorporate TNG into the franchise. Pocket's contract was renewed quickly. FASA's was revoked and not renewed. Lengthy negotiations for DC Comics.

Initially, DC was told that only Bryce, Konom, Sherwood, Bearclaw and Bernie had to go and Peter David wrote his issue #1 TOS (Series II) script with an opening scene featuring M'Ress. (He had previously announced plans for a controversial Arex story arc - presumably the rejigged story that saw Mr Fouton ousted from Starfleet and the comic; note that Arex eventually did transfer to Security in "New Frontier".)

When that set of art was sent to Richard for approval, He vetoed the use of TAS characters as well, and M'Ress was famously redrawn as an antelope-like alien, M'yra, named after PAD's then-wife, Myra. TAS "does not cross over with the movies", stated Richard. Although 1989 was also the year that Filmation was wound down, and the ownership of all of its output was in contractual flux.

[​IMG]
    M'Ress by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
    "Amazing Heroes" magazine #170 (Aug 1989, page 99)

[​IMG]
    M'Ress redrawn as M'yra by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

20. Steve67

This 2008 article from Comic Book Resources discusses the Peter David-Richard Arnold drama and the comments sections include remarks from PAD himself. I guess the hiatus isn't the big story here! Thanks to everyone for their replies. Keep 'em coming! :)