TNG remastered

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by cybersoldier, Jan 30, 2009.

1. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry about that...all I know is the planets did not look good at all the first two seasons. That got really distracting to me after seeing TOS-R. Just fixing the planets and upscaling would be reason enough to do TNG-R.

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Dukhat wrote
    I would like all of the Borg episodes from TNG.
    If there were a fan collective of TNG remastered which episodes should go into it?

FYI this was also being discussed on trekbbs in the past month here.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Obviously TNG will have to be remastered in order to actually *air* in HD, but perhaps it can still be released on Blu-Ray - just in standard definition.

After all, there's no ironclad rule that demands everything - or indeed *anything* - on a Blu-Ray disc actually be in HD, is there? A BR disc could hold a whole lot of SD content. You could probably fit an entire season of TNG on a single disc.

4. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It´s always entertaining to see people talk about remastering shows even though they don´t seem to understand what the term actually means.

5. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even if TNG were to be "remastered," 99% of the key production staff will never be invited or asked to work on the restoration/reworking. It'll end up being another TOSR; a glorified video remix, done by different people with no direct involvement or experience with the original's production.

A lot of the TOS crew have passed on, but there are still dozens of people who worked on the show still running around. Almost all of TNG's production staff is still in the business.

6. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, CGI is definitely overused. I hate it when they utilize it when it's not even necessary. For example, that scene in the first spider-man where those guys are robbing an armored truck. The fight sequence takes place entirely on the ground, yet they used a really fake-looking cgi spider-man. He wasn't swinging through the city or anything, just kicking and punching. Wouldn't a stuntman have sufficed and been more convincing?

7. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am actually not fond of this. Why? Because if that disc is broken, the whole season is lost. With the DVDs you will in the worst case only loose four episodes.

8. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

And when was it that you last broke a DVD?

I've never broken a DVD. I last broke a 5" optical disc in the 1980s when I threw a CD against a wall, demonstrating how impervious it was to damage. Wrong!

Put a disc away in the case after you are done watching it and this should never be an issue.

9. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd like to see them remaster a few episodes at least say these:

1. Conspiracy
    2. Q, Who?
    3. The Defector
    4. Yesterday's Enterprise
    5. Tin Man
    6. The Best of Both Worlds
    7. The Wounded
    8. Redemption
    9. Darmok
    10. Unification
    11. Cause and Effect
    12. Rascals
    13. Chain of Command
    14. The Chase
    15. Timescape
    16. Descent
    17. Gambit
    18. Parallels
    19. Preemptive Strike
    20. All Good Things

They all have some decent action sequences and are begging to be shown in 1080p HD.

10. kitsune

kitsune Captain

One thing that always bothered me about TNG: all the ship explosions looked extremely fake. There was never any debris field, or even a dust cloud left behind.

(edit: I guess this applies to all the series. For example, when the Odyssey blew up in DS9.)

11. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Though that was stock footage from TNG's Cause and Effect IIRC!

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The single thing I would like to see most out of ST is this work on STNG!

13. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

There was a debris field at Wolf 359.

I don't know anything about the technical aspects of remastering and have no interest in re-done special effects. However, I would hope that HD TNG would be a possibility. If Paramount didn't archive TNG in a manner that would permit this, such an oversight seems to stretch the bounds of absurdity in business decisions.

14. Nerdius Maximus

Disc 1 of my ST3(The one with the movie on it)had a hairline crack at the center. Every time I took it out of its case, the crack lengthened. I eventually ended up just rebuying it for 7 bucks at walmart.

15. Nerdius Maximus

Disc 1 of my ST3(The one with the movie on it)had a hairline crack at the center. Every time I took it out of its case, the crack lengthened. I eventually ended up just rebuying it for 7 bucks at walmart.

16. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You should try working with the horrible Digistak cases the R2 TNG/DS9 discs used to come on before Paramount changed them. To put discs on them you'd have to put a scary amount of pressure on the hub then push the disc onto it and hope it didn't get stuck (which would either eventually end up causing cracks either by the pressure that had to be put on the disc to get it to sit on the hub properly, or through the strain put on the disc by the hub getting stuck and having to get the disc back off and trying again), snap the disc on (probably instantly cracking the disc, though you'd have to be an idiot to try this) or sand down the hub so it's not so tight.

I ended up getting small cracks on some of my discs simply keeping them in storage because the hubs were too tight, and repeatedly loading/unloading them will almost certain cause cracks no matter how careful you are. I've even heard of people getting brand new sealed sets with cracked discs from the factory and having to buy multiple sets to get a full set with no cracks. I ended up sanding all of mine down because I don't really want to transfer them all into Amarays and have to print out a cover for every case to identify it, but thankfully they started using better hubs after enough people complained, and the slimline sets come in proper cases with good hubs.. but not before thousands of people wrecked their discs. I believe Paramount are willing to replace them, but I personally just backed them up before the cracks expanded and play those instead.

I don't see how it's possible to crack discs in good hubs unless you're just careless/stupid though. Scratches on the other hand, you've got to be pretty careless to get a scratch bad enough that it has an impact on playback.

17. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

It's always easy to be wise after the event. Who could have foreseen high-definition television equipment back in 1987, when Betamax was still in vogue? The priority was making a 42 minutes of television to air every week, not the home video market of the 21st century.