Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. RangerH

RangerH Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It seems that you can only watch the current ep, not past eps. I tried to watch ep 24 and it gave me an oops not available. And I did not see ep 23 on the site.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the ending for 25 is suppose to be a hook for a possible second season.

3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I assume there's still been no word from the powers that be (with regard to the production of SBY 2199); as to whether doing a similar re-visioning of "The Comet Empire" is even being considered/discussed or not?

5. Hound of UIster

I think the head producer has said he wants to do a prequel instead.

6. Ithekro

He had stated he wants to do a prequel. Sources involved say he vasilates on if he wants to be involved in a sequel project or not.

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Not quite sure how they could do a Yamato prequel with the first Yamato still at the bottom of the ocean prior to 2199.

8. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They've got a whole war they can cover.

9. 137th Gebirg

World War II?

10. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gamilas slowly grinding UN fleet into dust.

11. Ithekro

The prequel doesn't have to feature Yamato. Kind of like the Babyon 5 prequel movie about the Earth-Mibari War didn't feature Babylon 5 at all. But had several of its characters in it.

They have the Interplanetary Wars between Earth and Mars that lead into Earth's attitude when Gamilas arrive and the whole eight years of the Space War until 2199. Okita is prominent during that time.

The ships used at the Battle at Pluto were old. Almost 30 years old. And these were what was left of the UN fleets after eight years of war with the Gamilas. All that is left is the Far Eastern Region's force of 21 ships (it looks like 30 launched from Earth on that last campaign, but only 21 made it to Pluto, and only 1 made it back to Earth). The Space Battleship Kirishima was one of eight ships in its class built starting in 2171. So there were more ships, and one has to assume the Americans and Europeans had better ships early in the war. Just that after eight years...well all you got left is the old Japanese ships.

Until they launch the newly built Yamato. (it is no longer the original ship sunk in 1945).

12. 137th Gebirg

There is a problem with that formula, and you mentioned B5 as a perfect example. None of the shows that followed after the main one did anywhere near as good and had a fraction of the following. Maybe Japanese shows are done differently, but I don't predict a good future if they go outside the established storyline that much. I could be wrong...just saying...

13. Ithekro

For most of the rest of the Babylon 5 spin off that would be correct. But Babylon 5: In the Beginning did well as it was an interesting story tying the various episodes that flashbacked to the Earth-Minbari War and providing the rest of the story.

Yamato 2199 has some of that presently as well. Some flashbacks to first contact. Some about the Second Battle of Mars (that would be interesting to see, since that was were the Earth stop Gamilas). Scenes with Kodai's brother, Sanada, and Niimi during the early days of the war. Kodai's family getting caught in a planet bomb. Yamamoto's brother. Yurisha's arrival. The terrorist (maybe) bombing that put her in a coma. The Fleet's last sortie before the Battle at Pluto as they leave in 2198. And the start of construction of Yamato and maybe even the choice to build the Wave Motion Gun.

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to be honest and say I wouldn't have much interest in a prequel dealing with the 8 year destruction of Earth. I really don't get why (after doing such a marvelous job with the retelling of the original Space Battleship Yamato story), he's not interested in continuing - as I fell they have actually been very creative with the seamless addition of new characters, and sub-plotlines.
    ^^^
    They really did add a fair amount of new and fresh material while staying true to (and IMO improving on) the original plot.

15. Ithekro

Perhap he didn't like a part of the second series, but would have to keep whatever that was because that is what happened. I seem to recall reading an interview with him and Anno about Yamato and it seems he didn't like the character change in Dessler after the second film. I don't think he means the change in side, but the change in behavior (I think the term he said was samurai-like). I'm not entirely sure what he means. I liked Dessler in the second series onwards and it got to be a cheer moment if Dessler arrived to save Yamato.

(Can be read here):
    http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/754/

16. Ithekro

The last episode will be on in four and a half hours on the same place as it was the last few weeks. Lets see what happens to them, and hope for more.

17. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Guys guys guys:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's happening!!!!

18. Hound of UIster

Would a 90 minute compilation movie with one minute of new footage be considered a completely original work?

19. Ithekro

They say "New Story", so maybe that prequel they were talking about?

20. 137th Gebirg

What does this mean? Not terribly familiar with Japanese.