The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1324999/

The movie is released in theaters this weekend. I figured it would be pointless to post a summary, the trailers pretty much gave everything away, and you either like or hate this franchise. Ashley Greene is still the best thing about these movies.

2. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I have nothing to contribute about the franchise itself, except to say.. does everyone else think of breaking wind when they see that title?

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

(raises hand)

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3310&p=.htm

Twilight continues to make ridicious amounts of money. :rommie:

I'll probably check this out this weekend or the next. No way I'm going on Friday. The screaming fangirls scary the hell out of me.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Eh posted yesterday, on the second-page, no one posted in it since yesterday morning, surfing on a smart-phone. Feh.

Twilight: Breaking Dawn

B

Anyway, just got back and I have to say....

It's not too bad. The first two movies of the Twilight series are bogged down in a lot of just teenage angsty stuff and dullness, though they have some good moments. The last movie was good mostly with the backstory with some of the other Cullens and by shedding, a bit, of the angst and more antagonism between Jacob and Edward.

This movie mostly continues that trend this time with more of the "war" between the Cullens ("vegetarian" vampires) and Jacob's pack of "werewolves." Edward and Bella get married, go on their honeymoon and consummate their marriage with Bella still being human. Edward freaks out the morning after because his super-powers harmed Bella the previous night by... causing.... superficial bruises... on.... her? Yeah I don't get it either, I mean they're just bruises from when he may have grasped her too hard on her legs, back and arms. Which, frankly, should happen if you do sex right and filled with passion. Hell, I've done it. (And not out of abuse/sadism out of just passion and holding too tight. I got bruised too.)

Anyway, towards the end of their honeymoon Bella begins to realize she's eating heavily, undercooked meat at-that, and has morning sickness. She's pregnant. This sets off a chain of events as no one is quite sure how she's pregnant and what could happen to her. This also disturbs the already strained truce between the Cullens and the werewolves, Jacob decides to side with the Cullens and shirks his pack in order to protect them. Bella goes along with the pregnancy at risk to her own life as the pregnancy is taking a toll on her health and she does eventually give birth as the werewolves and vampires duke it out.

All and all, it's not too bad of movie and it does have a certain craft to it's creation. If anything I think the movies one flaw is the lack of the more interesting secondary characters in this movie (namely in Edward's family) and underusing Anna Kendrick and Ashley Greene.

Charlie's mustache is also greatly underused.

Now is some spoilery stuff I want to touch on:

First of all, I've not read the books and never intend to. That said I've got a good idea of what happens in them:

The movie sort of cheaps-out on showing the birth of Renesmee. In the books the birth is much more violent and shocking, the movie sort of cheaps-out on that in not showing the carnage too much and mostly from Bella's blurry POV. Hell, I would've been happy if they had just shown her "vomiting a fountain of blood" (direct quote from the book) and shown the shattering of her spine her lower body going limp better.

But, I guess they wanted to keep the movie PG-13 and not scare all of the teens in the audience from life forever. Also, I would've liked more fan-service from Bella but I guess I'm not their target audience. Though Kristen did look good in some of the lingerie shots we see her in.

The movie also seemed to forget the sparkly nature of vampires in the Twilight-U as we see Edward in sunlight plenty of times with no sparkle to him at all.

The audience I went to see this with was mostly of older young people, people around my age or late-20s. Not much of a teeny-bopper crowed at all but there were approximately 50,000 showings so they were probably all at those.

The Jacob "imprinting" on the baby thing the movie tried to show that it could make sense (with Jacob "flashing forward" so to speak and seeing the baby as she'll look when she hyper-ages to a teen over the course of the next movie) but still it's a bit creepy when all movie long it's talked about the imprinting thing being akin to deep love and he does to it a freaking new born!

Anyway, this is my lame moment for the... I'll go with month.

I saw Twilight Breaking Dawn and I liked it.

There.

I said it.

7. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

okay I plan to go see tomarrow morning, my main question for those who have seen do we have to stay till the end of the credits?

8. Trekker4747

I have no idea, I didn't stay through the credits.

I suspect not as I'm not sure what they'd put there, the tension-hook at the end of the movie proper is solid enough on its own and would be gimped by any post-credits scene.

9. timothy

very cool thanks, what kinda trailers did you get?

10. Trekker4747

A ton.

There's that one with Matt Damon where his family buys and moves into a zoo.

A couple of "chick-flick" movies.

I honestly don't remember the trailers or the names of any of the movies in them. There were a couple of movies that looked good but that was four hours ago so they've all left my memory.

Oh! There was a "Snow White" movie, featuring Kristen Stewart as the titular character, that looked good.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

There is suppose to be is a scene in the middle of the credits. It mostly sets up the next movie.

12. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or the title of the second Spinal Tap album, "Break Like The Wind".

I saw a quote from Stephen King recently comparing Twilight to Harry Potter...take it away, Mr. King...

"Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strengths, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend."

There you go.

13. timothy

I thought it was pretty good.

14. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

It was a truely terrible film. Bad acting, which caused lots of unintentional laughter from the audience in the screen I was in. There is a tiny bit of action which is not very good and the rest of the film is boring standing around with bad actors spouting badly written dialouge.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I liked this movie. It was extremely faithful to the book.

The story was fine. The first part of the movie dragged a little with the wedding, but I guess the fangirls loved that part. The part with all the wedding guests on stage was really funny, the audience laughed at all the jokes.

Kristen was looking very fine in the lingerie scenes. The sex scenes felt like something from network television, but I guess they couldn't do too much with it since the kiddies were watching.

The story finally picks up when Bella finds out she is pregnant with the vampire baby. It almost turns into a damn horror movie and the entire childbirth thing seems like something that doesn't belong in Twilight. The book had the same problems, so I can see why fans gave it mixed reviews. The treated the part where Bella names the baby Renesmee as a freaking joke, which was the best way they could have handled it. I'm glad the childbirth scenes were freaking intense, but they weren't too graphic.

I thought the acting for the three main characters improved.

The cliffhanger was obvious, but was still well done.

Eclipse is still my favorite book/novel, and this movie is up there as second or third best. Glad to see the movie doing well. These movies are my guilty pleasures. They aren't written well, but they are damn entertaining.

Ashley Greene as Alice is STILL the best thing about these movies, loved her cute new hairdo. I wish she had been in the movie more though.

B+

16. timothy

one thing that I am pissed about this movie was the begining of the film was the ending to eclipse. and they still cut a lot out of the books. just like they did with the Harry potter films.

:adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore: alice is still my favorite vamp babe.

though I will say during the hole bed room sceen we finally get to see that bella has a nice ass.

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You forgot about the parts here lame pop music plays and people stare "meaningfully" into space.

And I would just like to state that if you are a vampire doctor and it takes you a couple of months to realize that the half-vampire baby might need blood... well, you should retunr your medical license to whatever cracker jack box you got it from.

Also, I thought Twi-pires sparkled in the sunlight? Because none of these do.

18. timothy

I believe it has to be direct sun light.

19. Trekker4747

Probably... but there were times when Edward and Bella were on the beach in Rio and it was sunny outside, seems to me that he should've gone sparkly there.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

This has been around since the first movie. Remember that these movies are aimed at the teen audience and soundtracks need to be sold. At least the soundtracks have gotten good reviews on Amazon though.

I heard three weeks not three months. Bella would be a corpse if she had not had eaten for that long.

While he was a doctor that was a vampire, he wasn't a doctor on vampires. He only had a medical license on humans. This is something new to him. None of them knew what the hell was going on.

I thought that was a mistake or the writers decided to ignore it in this movie. :shrug: