New Trek Descriptions in PB Spring '09 Catalog Desiny/Post De Spoilers

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Sep 25, 2008.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I found some new Trek descriptions in the new Pocket Books Spring '09 Catalog. Now I know the authors have told us these aren't 100% accurate, but they do seem to usual still give us a baisic idea of what to expect, so I figured I'd post them. But if the authors or anyone wants me to get rid of them I gladly will.
    The majority of these are for the post Destiny books, so there are a couple minor spoilers in the Over A Torrent Sea and Full Circle Descriptions
    A Singular Destiny:
    The Destiny trilogy changed the Star Trek universe, devastating worlds and lives from every series. Now, the fallout of that apocalyptic saga is viewed through the eyes of an all-new character: Sonek Pran is an outsider, a man who can go places and get things done that no one else can. When events threatening to undermine the galaxy’s attempts to heal itself become increasingly widespread, Sonek’s investigation leads him to uncover a challenge to the Federation and its allies utterly unlike anything they have faced before.

Over A Torrent Sea:
    In the aftermath of the shocking crossover trilogy Destiny, Titan’s return to its mission of exploration leads to the discovery of an astounding new world with a complex ecosystem unlike anything Captain Riker and his crew have encountered before. At the same time, while one father mourns the tragic loss of a child, another looks for hope as a longawaited birth draws near.

Full Circle:
    [LEFT]Following the events of Destiny, the broken and
    weary crew of the starship Voyager is reunited to
    spearhead a mission they are uniquely qualified
    to undertake. But even the efforts of its new
    Captain to revitalize this wounded crew may
    not be enough see the mission through, for
    the journey is paved with blood and deep scars
    that will not fade...and populated with ghosts[/LEFT]
    from the past.

Treason:

[LEFT]Jumping ahead three years from the events depicted in Missing in Action, tensions within the New Thallonian Protectorate are at a fever pitch following the murder of Prime Minister Si Cwan. The sudden power vacuum will have far-reaching ramifications for Captain Mackenzie Calhoun, the crew of the USS Excalibur, and all of Sector 221-G itself....[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Open Secrets:[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Following the events of Reap the Whirlwind, this
    new novel takes the ongoing saga to a whole new

level as a new commander assumes control of
    [LEFT]Starbase 47—while the old one stands trial for
    treason. Meanwhile, the station’s intelligence
    officer fights for her life and her very mind, as
    tensions with the Klingons escalate into all-out war.[/LEFT]
    [/LEFT]

[LEFT]I don't know about you guys, but this all sounds pretty damn cool to me. I'm especially curious to see who the new commanders are for Vanguard and Voyager, if that much is true at least. I also wonder why we're doing another jump in the NF series, we already just did one two books ago.[/LEFT]

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: New Trek Descriptions in PB Spring '09 Catalog Desiny/Post De Spoi

Well, offhand, of the post-Destiny books, I'd say the catalog description that seems furthest removed from reality is the one for Full Circle.

3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Well, that description of ASD isn't inaccurate, but it isn't 100% accurate, either.......

4. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I won't presume to tell you what you can and can't post. I'll simply repeat what I've said in the past. While there's nothing I can do to restrict public access to this information, the catalog isn't written in a way that's intended for public consumption. It's meant for bookvendors. It's put together when many manuscripts are still unwritten, and when plots and character arcs may still be in flux. The catalog is not a reliable source of editorial information. It therefore does a disservice to the editors, the authors, and the readers to draw attention to it.

Reliable information will be released from the editorial offices in due time.

5. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This sounds like a proper Jason Bourne-like thriller, Trek-style. I am most definitely looking forward to it.

I'm guessing that the death referred to is the younger of the two children on Titan, tragic but an interesting story to tell against the backdrop of a true pelagic world.

This sounds so bland and I think we'll find that this is total BS by the time real blurb comes out.

This is nonsense and says nothing to entice me. Feels like the same thing that was on the pre-blurb for the last book with a few words moved around. But I'll get the book anyway, I'm trekkie

This does sound cool though.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No way. I'm not killing any babies.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damn, I hope the Treason blurb is completely off. Another three-year jump seems completely unnecessary.

8. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And it seems odd that tensions would be at a 'fever-pitch' over Cwan's death when Cwan died three years prior.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

9. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

In regards to Full Circle, not so much really. It sounds like it was written long before the story or novel were anywhere near a final form. I would join Marco in encouraging everyone to chill until the actual cover copy becomes available.

Kirsten

10. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Too late. I've already written my one and two-star Amazon reviews just based on this info.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had posted these on Memory Beta too, but I'm thinking I might go pull them down, so the people who don't know what's going on won't think they're official descriptions.

12. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

You knew they weren't accurate, you said so in your original post, yet you re-posted them to Memory Beta anyway? :confused:

13. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:lol:

14. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

If it is, it's wholly unintentional, as I've never read any Robert Ludlum in my life. :)

I will say that the book was influenced in part by two Tom Clancy novels: The Hunt for Red October and Red Storm Rising, but even there, it's a mild influence. Probably a better analogy would be my own The Art of the Impossible, except only covering a couple of weeks instead of 18 years, and actually, y'know, having a protagonist. :lol:

15. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

Oh I am chilling Kirsten. I have faith. But counting the days until release, is well, lame. So, instead, I enjoy reading any rumors I can find. ;)

16. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

You say that as if wikis had standards...

17. HIj'Qa

HIj'Qa Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

PAD said Teason follows immediately after the IDW comic Turnaround, which follows Missing In Action.

So it is the same three year jump all over again

18. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

I am very much aware of it that also these descriptions are preliminary and subject to change but nevertheless, I find them very interesting to read. Therefore, thank you for posting them!

It seems in the age of the Internet these descriptions leak out one way or the other. Also, these preliminary descriptions are often used at Amazon and probably not only there without telling anybody that they are not the final version. I think keeping that in mind it is a good idea to post them here too where people can see what description is the right one at the end and how reliable and accurate the preliminary ones actually are.

On top of that, me personally, I like speculating and find it interesting to compare later between the final version and the early one.

I don`t know if that would help but why not start each description in this catalogue with something like “This is a preliminary description and subject to change”. When these catalogues and individual texts start circulating there is a better chance that this information is distributed with the text and not lost. I think it would also help when writing these texts to think about it not only how attractive it is to booksellers but also already to fans who buy them.

Looking at these preliminary texts, the ones I don`t find appealing are for “Full Circle” and “Treason”. As some people already said, I am also not in favour of another jump forward in time. I also don`t find the topic of what is going on in the Thallonian Protectorate after Si Cwan`s murder that interesting. I already felt that way when reading the comic “Turnaround”. Although Robin Lefler improved she is still one of my least favourite characters in NF.

But the description for “A Singular Destiny” is already making me very curious and I am now even more looking forward to that book. I wonder what species Sonek Pran is. It sounds Bajoran to me.

19. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds like a Vulcan-Bajoran hybrid to me.

20. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I would say some of it must take place in Boston, and there are parties involved ... And the Earl of Grey makes a cameo. :lol: